1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Love Abortion: Implying Otherwise Accomplishes Nothing for Women's Rights

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hightop, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You are saying in order to avoid a male dominated society we should allow women to have abortions? I guess the logic would be you would hand them a power men don't have to correct a current imbalance?

If that is your argument you will get drawn into debates of murder vs oppression . Which seems to have an obvious winner.

But you missed by not seeing that abortion represents a lack of control in reproducing.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The original article paints a ridiculous absolute that if you support women's rights you should love abortion. That would be like saying if you support gastro-intestinal health you should love gall bladder surgery.

Just because you believe that abortion should be legal and women should have the freedom to decide if they want more or not doesn't mean you necessarily embrace the procedure and want to see reductions in it.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I don't make a habit of opening threads begun by Hightop and the like at all, and I pretty much never read their posted articles, but since you say so I will try to take a look at it later.

4. amaru

amaru Member

**** abortion.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Theft is illegal and people still steal. Rape is illegal, yet they rapin' everybody up in here. Murder is illegal but people are still killing each other. I guess the only reasonable solution is to get rid of all laws, right?

We don't abandon laws because people continue to break them, we simply prosecute those offenders we can catch.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

No one, not even GR, said "all" or "each and every." Everyone knows that no birth control is 100% effective-- except Abstinence.

You lose. Again with the name-calling. You do know that we don't have to accept your premise of the child not being human until after birth?

This is just beyond despicable thing to say. You are a meanie.... :grin:

Not sure how you leap from saving an innocent life to hating women but it's your tortured thinking not mine.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The philosophical questions are a natural part of the process honestly. I'm not suggesting we shame anyone. But that doesn't mean we celebrate the process either, claiming love for it.

Anyway...nothing I say here about abortion is going to matter one iota anyway.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

These are my feelings exactly..well said.

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i've always been somewhat on the fence with abortion. ideally, we can get the numbers down but i ultimately lean towards making sure women have the right to choose. this is why the birth control kerfluffle is so maddening. let's agree that it's better to prevent unwanted pregnancies than to terminate them.

10. Hightop

Hightop Member

Agreed. Let's also agree that forcing employers to purchase birth control for employees is wrong.

11. thegary

so you don't believe that preventing unwanted pregnancies falls under healthcare?

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is wrong, but there is no bill that requires any employer to do that. The insurance policy would cover it, but no employer has ever been required to go and purchase birth control for anyone. The policy would cover it, and the individual is free to use it for birth control or not.

13. Hightop

Hightop Member

I don't think healthcare (including BC and abortions etc) falls under employer.

14. thegary

who should it fall under?

15. Hightop

Hightop Member

There is no bill that will force employers to purchase insurance for employees that cover birth control?

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

These two questions look to be in conflict. Without first considering what constitutes a human life, how can it be said that an abortion is solely a matter of taking responsibility for one's own body?

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What you asked is different than employers having to buy birth control.

18. Major

Major Member

This is true if one author's opinion = all liberals. However, if you believe that, you're an idiot. If you don't, you're being dishonest. Either way, it doesn't reflect well on you.

19. Hightop

Hightop Member

Buying birth control prescription insurance coverage is buying birth control. Don't be silly.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

If the church were serious about preventing abortions they would make paying for birth control a top priority.