1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I lost my dog today...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by c1utchmatic, Jul 6, 2013.

1. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I've been avoiding this thread bc I had a feeling it would be gut-wrenching, but I finally gave in and read it... so sorry for your loss man.

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I think that's the right attitude and the right thing to do. It was an unfortunate situation that no one wanted.
    Sorry about your loss. I haven't had a dog in a long while but I loved all of mine growing up.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Those pit bulls deserved better owners imo.

4. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

It needs to be pointed out again. The Male owner in this situation is a responsible pet owner. It's the FEMALE who should not be allowed to handle strong breeds. She's not a pack leader.

5. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

So sorry man. Lost my Husky mix almost exactly a year ago today to stomach cancer.

Like Carlin says "Every pet is a tiny tragedy waiting to happen."

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Wow...much respect to you. I don't know if I could handle the situation in a mature manner.

7. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Aw, I'm so sorry. :( I teared up reading your story. What a horrible thing to witness.

Please take comfort that you and your family gave Mikko a wonderful life and that's all he could have asked for.

I didn't know how much I would love my dog, Bo, when we first got him. I can't see my life without him now. Hugging him a little bit tight. He had an altercation with a pitbull at a dog park and on a walk a couple of years ago. Both of times, he was able to defend himself and he wasn't injured. I love all of breeds but pitbulls need to be handled with extra caution.

8. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

That's what's keeping me going. He lived a short life, but everyday he knew he was loved. He was practically my mom's fourth son, so I'm trying my hardest to keep my spirits up because I know she's hurting.

9. grahaminator

grahaminator New Member

Very sad

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have a 2 year old maltese and always walk him with a leash because he is too friendly and wants to play with all dogs despite the way some of them bark and growl at him. Maybe I didnt socialize him enough as a pup but he is my first animal of any kinda. I always worry about a larger dog attacking him so I am always watching for potential threats coming for him so I can pick him up and keep a flick open folding knife with me just in case.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Good idea I think. I usually take both my dogs on walks together. Both of them are crazy as heck and want to bark, go up to, etc. to other dogs.

I'll only take one at a time from now and have a knife or taser on me at all times.

11. Surfguy

I used to walk my two Rhodesian Ridgebacks on a splitter from a heavy duty retractable leash with those chain collars. It took some pretty good effort to hold them back when they went crazy seeing other dogs on the trail. There was a time I would walk them separately as it was definitely easier. I guess the splitter only works decently if you have two dogs about the same size. Would be hilarious to do that with one big dog and one little dog. Well...not for the little dog.

12. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

I had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks attack my Boxer at a community dog park. I sprayed them both with pepper spray and kicked one of them in the head and then was attacked by their owner and I dotted his eye with a left hook. True Story.

13. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Sweet. I want more details.

14. Surfguy

I would never let my Ridgebacks (dead since 2010) run loose at a dog park (except I did once when they were puppies). I used to let them run loose at a certain huge spot surrounded by trees at a park in Fort Worth when noone was around and they would chase squirrels up trees and chase a local fox around. I would watch the entry/exit points to that spot and get them back on the leash before anyone came because I had time. They used to love running around that park. I lived right across the street from it so had great access. Those were some good memories of them hauling ass around that area. I was very careful with those dogs but still tried to give them freedom to run around without bothering anyone cause...dogs love to run free. It's just knowing when, where, and how to do it without getting into doggie trouble.