1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I lost my dog today...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by c1utchmatic, Jul 6, 2013.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That was really difficult to read. I have a mini poodle and all I kept thinking about was this happening to him and I can't begin to imagine that.

I have to agree with the sentiment here, your neighbor should have had the dogs on a leash especially a ****ing pitbull.

2. updawg

updawg Member

Sorry you had to lose your dog like that. Terrible story. But you sound like a great owner by trying to save your dog like that. Don't think you failed. You just happened to live next door to an irresponsible owner with dangerous dogs

You and your neighbors might want to do something about those dogs. It could be a little kid next

3. wtfamonkey

wtfamonkey Member

any recourse? I bet a call to animal control will get rid of those pitbulls. They (the owners actions of not putting their pitbulls on a leash) are a danger to society

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I can't imagine how hard it was to type that out. Sorry for your loss...I'm sure you're not really able to think about your neighbor's negligence, but you should do something, so that it doesn't happen to someone else's dogs too.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This.

To OP:

What you did is something most owners with small dogs do and we do sometimes as well. I just went around and told my family about this story. I don't take care for our dog since I live away from home so I needed to make sure my family knew that other dogs could harm our dog and not just cars.
    Its a chilling story but I thank you for posting this so other dog owners know and (thanks to heypartner) some techniques for prying away have been stated.

I know its not something you can get over, but just try and remember your happy times together.

6. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

My heart is broken for you. I have a 3 year old mini poodle and he is my baby. I was planning on taking him to the beach tonight with some friends, but one is bringing his pit bull. This is seriously making me reconsider.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

that is awful. really sorry.

i'd have those pitbulls removed from the neighborhood promptly.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss, as a pitbull owner it hurts when I hear this kind of stuff. IMO, pit bulls don't belong around other dogs and should NEVER be out without a leash. At least that's the rules that I follow.

This ordeal is 100% your neighbors fault, careless owners are what make pit bulls dangerous.

Chin Up bro.

1 person likes this.
  9. Christopher

Christopher Member

That's really sad. :-(

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is so sad, are you going to call Animal Control and have the neighbors dogs put down?

DD

11. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I'm doing no better, but it helps knowing you guys are helping to share the heartache. And yes, animal control has already come and taken the dogs. The one who let the dogs out was the owner's wife, and he agrees that they should have not been outside. He said he takes full responsibility and assured us that both dogs will be put down. This isn't going to make my family feel any better, but it helps knowing Mikko got some justice. I cry every single time I think about something he'll never be able to do again, whether it be scratching on my door when he wanted to hang with me or him jumping on my lap after a long day of school. God I loved that dog.

12. VanityHalfBlack

I need to stop visiting this thread, heartbreaking man.

13. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Take good care and someday know you will have another little buddy! (Hard to consider right now, I know.)

Am amazed the owners (your neighbors) did the right thing, but that is a small silver lining at least, and hard for them to do as well. Just sad all around.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The loss of a pet, particularly unexpectedly is one of e most gut wrenching things you will experience in life. You spend more time with your pets than you do most people and their love is unconditional. When you are ready, you should absolutely get another pet. There are too many homeless pets in shelters that need a loving home. It sounds to me like you provided a loving home for your dog.

16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Very sad :( . I just hope with your next dog, you won't let them go out unattended where there is a good possiblity of killer pitbulls to be in the same place. I'm just curious...but why not just let him out in your backyard? Why let him go out where there are pitbulls that you've had no contact that have a good chance to possibly KILL your dog? Very rarely will dogs actually piss and crap in their own lawn without going to neighbors lawns to do the same...did you think that in the 10-15 years of the dog's life of you letting him out on his own (with you neighbor doing the same thing?) that he wouldn't run into your neighbor's dogs at the same moment? I'm pissed and think your neighbor needs a serious ass kicking for letting out dogs that are natural killers to roam around unleashed (I would've killed those dogs myself with an effing bat or something)...but you have some blame yourself for putting your dog in that position...they trust you for their safety (like all dogs do), it's not like they can rationalize the fact that the neighbor across the street has psycho dogs that can possibly kill him. You did though.

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss. That was tough to read, can't imagine what you must be going through.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

^ I am amazed at the condescending, unnecessary post (#36) I just witnessed above.

Dtduong; you are a great owner and Mikko lived a privileged life that few other dogs in the world will dream of having. Although lessons are learned, don't hurt yourself with regrets. There is no way you can predict everything. Someday, when enough time has passed, consider adopting another friend.

In the meantime, I wish you peace while you go through a hard time.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah. It works. My vet taught me taught me this, because of the parks i took my dogs too, known for packing strays. I've done it four times since at dogs parks. Twice with roaming strays attacking another dog and once at the Allen parkway dog park with two leashed pit bulls in mutual death grips with owners and 30 people screaming

My experience is once you apply the pinching maneuver to a dog who is in the red zone they release and don't then come after you. Like you are some alpha that can make them feel pain at a touch

Again I just want to say this for general knowledge. Sounds like Mikko didn't have a chance despite such a maneuver. But maybe other dogs will.

I hate this. I hate this so much

#39 heypartner, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  20. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

Heartbreaking :( ... Im sorry for your loss. I cant imagine how you feel. My condolences .