1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I like where this Rocket is going.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Wolf, Jul 26, 2012.

1. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Let's list all the scenarios:

1. Rox can't get Howard, and stink next season (<40 wins).

Rox will get a high draft pick, i.e. a potential super star. Drafting is the most efficient way to make teams instant contenders. With advanced statitics that Morey's using, I'd say it's very likely that we'll land at least a solid starter if not an all-star. and Rox will continue to grow as a team with all the young guns in the team. To me, this is a natural team building process and it's much better than winning about 50 games per season and miss the playoff or get a 1st round exit.

2. Rox can't get Howard, and played ok next seaon (40-50 wins).

Rox won't get a high draft pick. However, if they can win that many games with this young group, it shows their potential and they'll only continue to grow. Rox wins by continue to develop its own superstars. Whether the players will turn out to be superstar or not, this is still better than winning 40-50 games every yearwith a bunch of players who reached their peak.

3. Rox gets Howard. Needless to say, it'll be exciting to see JLin and Howard playing together. Even if Howard won't sign an extension, Morey should be able to pull a sign-and-trade to get at least one all-star or high draft picks.

I believe there are no other scenarios. No matter which one it'll be, they are all in better directions. So let's wait and let Morey do his thing and enjoy watching the younsters grow. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

How about the scenario where we don't get Howard, stink next season, and don't draft an all star?

1 person likes this.
  3. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I'd be happy with any of those 3 scenarios.

#3 however would depend on what we give up.At this point I really don't wan't to including any of the 4 new guy's or Parsons.I just don't feel like it will end well.I just think next year would be a huge bowl of drama filled ****.

4. DAROckets

How about a scenario where you stfu ? :p

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

It's gonna take a hell of a lot fewer than 39 wins to get a superstar in the draft.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Linprobable

7. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Why the hostility? He may have been joking but he makes a very good point. Over the last 10 drafts there have been on average 4 all star players in each. Assuming we wont suck nearly enough to get a top 4 pick how is it not conceivable that we won't be able to draft an All-Star?

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

S&Ts aren't bringing home that kind of return anymore. Look at what LeBron James got Cleveland. With the new CBA, it makes no difference to Howard if he signs outright or is S&T. All it does is weaken his new team.

The nightmare scenario:
    Dwight hems and haws and has "unforeseen" setbacks, missing most of Nov/Dec.
    Dwight shows up and gives us fair effort, getting us to 50 wins.
    We send our draft pick to Atlanta.
    Dwight walks to Dallas July 1st, leaving us with nothing to show for his time.

Maybe it's all a bluff by his agent and Howard would do a 180 after landing at IAH. But at this point.....I'm ready to tell Hennigan to take a short walk, let the kids develop, and go into the draft with two good lottery draws.

9. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

They're better off with a superstar.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Agreed. Even if we win 30 games it's still not extremely likely. (30 wins is probably around 8th pick or so).

11. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

That was because Miami had the cap room to sign all those players outright. Unless Howard is willing to walk to Dallas or Atlanta AND give up a lot of money, Morey will be able to work his magic.

12. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Well, I have my reservation in terms of trading for Howard without long-term commitment. If Howard comes, hopefully the price won't be too high. Or just maybe we are better off just holding on to the young guns and completely rebuild.

13. DAROckets

I was just messing with him,thought the little smilie made that obvious

14. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

There just seems to have been a lot of hostility on the board lately and I seemed to have jumped the gun... I guess we just need more:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jgUiTNq0uYA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

TOR pick

1 person likes this.
  16. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

It makes a big difference. It makes a $25-30 mil difference to dwight if he signs outright or if he gets S & T.

I do agree the return on the S & T would not be very good though. why would the receiving team give much, plus their draft picks would be late first round after landing said superstar.

17. jjin15

jjin15 Member

I rather the Rockets not gut their whole team for DH12.
    The have alot of promising potential in summer league.
    Go one season with the new additions and see how it fares.
    In the end, if he doesn't get traded which "sources" are saying the Magic aren't going to trade him at this point, he will still be a FA in 2013.

I don't want a NYK- Denver scenario. Trade 5-7 potential players for 1 superstar, and both teams wind up in the same position except Denver winning more games than NYK did in their playoff series.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't worry; in that scenario, we'll get nowhere remotely close to 39 wins. And scenario 2 is completely impossible.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Houston has the allstar game this year, right? And as it stands, we may not have a single allstar on the team unless Lin's popularity wins over folks. I can't even begin to accept this in my head. Hosting but not participating?

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Don't worry, someone will get an obligatory invitation.