1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I just realize ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, Jan 23, 2010.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

It's three o'clock here on the east coast. I woke up to this chilling thought

Our core roster in 2002 before Yao was picked

Franchise -- out of the league
    Cat -- out except for his phantom salary
    Rice -- out, too old
    Mo -- out, China
    Cato -- out

and

Eddie Griffin -- dead :eek:
    Jason Collins -- dead :eek:

Actually I think only Kenny Thomas is playing in the league, spotty minutes though.

What were we think'in? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

nextyear wasnt much better...only posey, KT and yao are still in the NBA. We still won 43 games though, not bad.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

what went wrong?!

4. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

watching Grant HIll tonight,it reminded me how sad to see francis and cat not playing. also despite all the bad contracts CD did drafting Yao when everyone in the media was laughing was brilliant. most wanted butler,dunleavy,williams.

5. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

Jason Collins isn't dead.

6. trickywhiteguy

Just to clarify it was Jason Collier not Jason Collins.. Jason Collins is still in the league today.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, you are right. Still miss the dough boy, good kid.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha thought something was fishy.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That is very sad to hear. Go back to bed, the nightmare is over.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

On a irrelevant note, just watched the last quarter against Spurs again. It's hilarious to hear Sean Idiot in his high pitch voice squeaking "that was a 4 point swing" on a Brook's made basket, pure gold.

11. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Hey, do you also realize that outside of Yao and T-Mac, only Chuck Hayes is still left with the Rockets from that 2005-06 injury-plagued squad.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

But that happens a lot of teams.

Bulls had the worst record in that year, but they still had Crawford, Artest, Curry, Chandler, Brad Miller in the league.

Warriors were equally bad, but Areanas, Dampier, Hugues, Murphy, J.Rish are proven to be NBA worthy.

We had a massive failure in building the team with CD reigning and Rudy giving out checks like they are not his (but they were not his)

13. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CP made a point the other day, on his afternoon show, how many teams can boast a roster of only ONE player drafter higher than 23?

apparently, it's only the rockets... think about it ;)

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am guessing not too many players on any team in the 2001 season is still in the league anyway in 2010. I remember NBA careers last an average of 5 years so its not all that surprisng that a team's roster from 8 seasons ago would be pretty much all gone from the league.

Maybe some teams have a few more left (teams with big stars, team who were younger at that time) but I don't think this means CD was a failure. You don't assemble a team with 8 seasons in the future in mind.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

And that player is the 4th option among the starters.

1 person likes this.
  16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that's true, but i think the point was how many of them simply left the league because they werent good enough or they had injuries/death.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

^^^
    The point is that we had an illusory core. Usually a team is built around one or two franchise players, one or two upcoming young studs, and other veteran/utility/journeyman type of role players. The last category is less important, but rarely do you see a team built around guys out of the league or dead (god forbid, RIP Eddie and Jason) in 5 seasons later ( I think all these guys were out two seasons ago already).
    I think we were lucky to get T-mac through trade and slowly shifted out our "losses". Imagine Rudy T and CD combo were still in charge in those 5 seasons, that's the nightmare I was having. :grin:

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Also remember this, Weisbro, a former NHL manager, oaked the Francis/Tmac deal b/c he liked Francis stuck out for his teammates, a hockey player mentality. You need an idiot to help out other's mistakes. JVG said it once that he was so surprised that Weisbro took Francis just b/c of that, not anything basketball related. But of course, I imagine, JVG being a cunning seller laughed at it inside but put on a serious face during the deal.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Francis wasn't a bad player and Mobley more than held his own. It was a good trade for both teams at the time. We just lacked the role guys to go along with guys like mobley, francis, and yao. I dont think it would have worked out badly for us had we kept them, assuming they stayed healthy, but injuries screwed both sides. The biggest issue was blown drafts. We werent drafting any talent besides obvious picks like Francis and Yao. Mobley was the exception. There were also bad contracts like Taylor's. I think morey has done a good job, but when he came on a lot of the bad contracts were gone or almost gone and the talent in the draft got better, so luck was on his side as well.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

I remember Suns had a competing offer on the table for Tmac including Matrix and Starbury. I think that was a better deal for the Orlando.