1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to HATE MIKE D'ANTONI

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mario_v, May 11, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It means something to his legacy, no doubt, he is a Famer.

It's not the league's fault that he seems to be always failing against the Spurs though as a Phoenix coach.

Nash was a 2x MVP but Duncan got the best of him.

It's just rinse repeat.

The real question is if he could coach GSW to those championships and if he could maintain that Defense.

Sometimes it takes an eccentric coach to win the title, not a friend of players.

It's a job after all and not a get together with colleagues and friends.

(The dumbest coach also implemented many of Suns coach MDA's schemes. Steve Nash is or was on the GSW staff)

#21 daywalker02, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

80% of Coaching is in the Practices
    15% is in the Huddle
    5% is that bullsh!t they do standing on the sidelines

I have no idea what he does in Practice so I cannot comment on it
    In the Huddle . .. . I just don't see a play run after a huddle that makes me impressed
    His Time Out management just absolutely kills me. . . someone needs to let them know they don't carry over game to game
    or even half to half
    He Rotations are not only short but perplexing
    Last night he took out PJ and subbed him with Austin Rivers .. . . . . WTF?

Rocket River

daywalker02 and lw17 like this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

When Harden’s not saving him he really just doesn’t know what to do. Just throws out anything hoping it sticks.

And yes...he has no clue what a time out is

PeterKingX and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

In the end Mike is not going to be that kind of coach...he's not Pop or even McHale. McHale for as bad as he was as a coach, he probably had no problems to call out guys in the lockeroom, and that's probably another reason why he got fired if you get what i'm saying, Mike is...smarter, let's say.

This aside for the timeout thing which is indeed super annoying, i agree with you here.

#24 Vivi, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    J Sizzle likes this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Mike gets a lot of credit for installing an efficient system and unlocking Harden to his fullest abilities. And yes, he’s a players coach.

In game management or coaching, though? Yeah...he’s not great...

topfive and Vivi like this.
  6. youknowme

youknowme Member

I like Mike generally, but it seems that Pop was more angry at the Spurs winning a close game yesterday than Mike was losing against a limited Pelicans team.

I understand he's a player's coach, but just watching as we get out-hustled and without running any real plays when Harden is off on his 3 can be maddening.

PeterKingX and J Sizzle like this.
  7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Thats why Mike Dantoni get out-coached by Pop every time.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

What? Bro you really Fido this understand the history of those Suns, the league literally kept him from beating the spurs one year. Any dude who revolutionizes the game in offense, isn’t a mediocre coach.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Wudda been a championship-coach were it not for a hammy and a shii-tastic rig job.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Both Mike and moreknee have both come out and said that they don't even practice that much due to them being a veteran team. That should tell you all you need to know about Mike no D Antoni.

Little Bit and hakeem94 like this.
  11. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

This thread has waay too little pages!

Harden is the only reason this dude will ever make it past the Spurs / get a ring. What a scumbag

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let the man grow his beard. Or mustache.

13. beardsanity713

His whole rest philosophy is also weird you rest the mid-season acquisition??
    But play your starters playoff minutes??
    Shouldn't Rivers be playing to help decrease the load on CP3??

vlaurelio likes this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

outside of game 5 @ SAS, i have not really criticized pringles. but tonite his rotations were strange AF. running shumpert/nene over rivers/faried completely? this game was won (by MVP) in spite of the coaching.

ryano2009 likes this.
  15. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

His rotations are terrible and his coaching philosophy is hoping Harden goes in god mode to bail him out once again. Quit with the Shumpert experiment. If House is struggling then play Clark more. Play the better more capable players. This could have easily been another loss tonight without Harden’s 61 points.

pippendagimp likes this.
  16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

He needs to rest the mid season guys more and play James and PJ 48 minutes from here on out its only logical

17. HookemHorns1250

I'm more shocked that this thread was made in 2017, and only has 35 posts. As much hate as MDA gets in game threads, I assumed that this would have at least 500.

MDA is truly the man that gets 0 credit for anything, yet half of the hate in game threads.

18. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don’t know if he should be playing Faried or Rivers or Shumpert. He’s definitely more qualified to make that call than any of us. But when those guys don’t show up in a single game in the playoffs it’s really not on them, role players need to get in rhythm and get a feel too.

It’s weird that having depth is becoming a problem. Haha

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think it's clear that orders from above have been given to MDA. Playoff seeding takes a back seat to getting players some rest. I also think they are seeing how players like Shumpert and House perform playing big rotation minutes.

MDA doesn't strike me as a coach that's big on resting players. I think Morey and Tilman have made a decision and MDA is following orders.

20. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Guy you don't understand.

We have to rest Faried and Rivers. We have to rest the guys who didn't even begin playing ball until December.

We have to give PJ Tucker over 35 minutes. Even though it was proven the heavy minute load began to negatively effect his game, which is why after finally resting over all-star break he began shooting a high percentage again like he did early in the season and looked like a dominant renewed PJ Tucker opposed to the weary and fatigued one we've seen lately and before all-star break.

We have to guys.. For reasons only Mike Dantoni knows, we have to

This is new math type stuff, you all don't understand