1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to HATE how Christian Wood plays basketball.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Roomba, Feb 17, 2022.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's been a while since I checked team stats. Good lord! They are seriously that bad! Inexcusable. I thought KMJ was struggling at the line this season, but he looks positively aces in comparison. Damn.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Sure at his current rate and a role off the bench behind Sengun and the forward/center we take in the draft. He’s not a bad player and you can always move him if the price isn’t too high. A Theis contract would be fine.

But if the Rockets are looking at this guy as a building block for the future they are absolutely insane and we should all question the decision making at Toyota Center. They aren’t far removed from wanting to go all in on Victor Oladipo. It’s a short leash.

hakeem94, kjayp and Richie_Rich like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good lord, getting lit up by DeMarcus Cousins, in the year 2022 - that's just the end for me.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Bwahahaha

Wood is not elite. He might be the worst defensive big man in the association.

Offensively he can be very good but even then, he's selfish or lazy - you choose - when he slips just about every pick he's involved in.

This is why we use the term empty stats when talking about his game .... he doesn't contribute to winning basketball, just getting his stats. Aint nothing elite about that.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

What did you expect with the defense of Sideshow Bob? Glad he's helping leading the tank!

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Most centers have career nights against us. I don't think it's all Wood's fault, he just gets bullied by anyone that has a strength advantage on him (AKA every center in the NBA)

jdjd and kjayp like this.
  8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Unfortunately, it is mostly Wood's fault. If you had to make a highlight reel of the number of times Wood bails on his assignment or fails to help, leaving the smaller guard to take on the center on an island, you may as well just post the whole game.

This is one example from last night, there were multiple opportunities for him to switch back to Cousins, or provide help defense for Green, but he just beelines to the closest perimeter player to guard and ignores Green until the end.

9. vator

vator Contributing Member

That’s freaking ridiculous. What an embarrassing display of either stupidity or cowardice. Either way, shameful.

jdjd and clutchdabear like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's very typical of Wood ...I've been pointing this type of play out since his first game in Rocket red.

Offensively I kinda like Wood ..... defensively he's one of the league's worst.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Quickly becoming one of my least favorite Rockets of all time. Grandstands on offense, does the absolute minimum everywhere else and especially if it won't show up in stats or highlights. It's a real shame, he's a really uniquely talented player. He could develop into one of the best PF's in the NBA.

Wanted out was nagging before the deadline. Then made peace with being the fake franchise player on a tanking team. He knows it's not true, he and his agent are not stupid. This guy needs to be taught a role and given some direction on both sides of the court, but they're just letting him jack up shots and play lazy defense. Wtf?

BigM, hakeem94 and Roomba like this.
  12. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This dude Wood is soft AF. Can't stand to watch him play.

jdjd likes this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

So i guess the next question is why? If we can see this, then I'm sure the coaching staff do as well, so where is the disconnect.

a) Coaches sees it, but don't tell Wood.
    b) Coaches see it, they tell Wood, but Wood doesn't want to do it.
    c) Coaches see it, they tell Wood, but Wood want to do it, but he forgets or just can't.
    d) Everyone sees it, they do it on purpose for the good of the tank (conspiracy take)

If it's b) or c), that's bad right?

fattz, hakeem94 and clutchdabear like this.
  14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Exactly! This play among many others is prime freaking example of his unwillingness to do anything but be a me first biznatch!

jdjd likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You'll bouce back like the bounce back guy you are.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Been a serviceable tank brigadier.

Believe It! likes this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’d probably help if Silas tried putting the guy in his place. But that’d be coaching. Silas doesn’t like experimenting during the regular season. Also doesn’t like development or defining roles for players. That’s what the off-season is for.

fattz likes this.
  18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Three things have plagued him his whole career - lack of effort, character, and inconsistency. That’s why no one drafted him and why few teams were interested in signing him. Stone took a low calculated risk gamble thinking there was a chance he could be something more. Unfortunately I think the Rockets have wasted this year and hindered the development of the rookies by running the offense through him. He slows down the offense every time he touches the ball. He isn’t a good passer and plays selfishly clearing out the team while taking on 2-3 defenders. Just not an intelligent player. Not a pure spirit as Jeff Van Gundy would say. Both him and KPJ need to go. Just a blight on this team.

Roomba and Believe It! like this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Not on Silas. Unfortunately Wood despite sucking big time, is the best big man we have. Yes, he is better than Sengun. And management invested in him with the 3 year deal. You play your best players. Silas doesn’t have much to work with. I’m not sure what “experimenting” could happen with this weak roster. You play your best players. The only player that’s debatable to me is KPJ over Schroeder. But again management has placed an emphasis on playing and evaluating these guys.

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I’m not so sure he loves him as a player. He often seems frustrated with Wood. But like it or not. Agree with it or not Wood is our best big man right at this moment. As much as Wood sucks unfortunately. And no Sengun isn’t there yet. And Stone has already put Wood up for sale in that Laker trade so I don’t think anyone sees him as long term.

fattz and SamFisher like this.