1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to HATE how Christian Wood plays basketball.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Roomba, Feb 17, 2022.

1. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Drives me crazy too. It would be one thing if he brought the ball up and attacked the basket. But he dribbles to the three point line, holds the ball for 5 seconds, then reluctantly passes to a guard. At that point, there’s 10 seconds left on the shot clock, and there’s no time to run a play.

Richie_Rich, BigMaloe, Jontro and 5 others like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He just needs leadership and accountability, his skills are fantastic on the offensive end.......he just needs direction from the bench and on the floor.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i also think he can be very good on defense...has all the tools..just the willingness is not there... cant blame him playing for the tanking team tho

Jontro and DaDakota like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Alperen Sengun?

5. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Talking from PG/SG standpoint who primarily sets up plays and runs the offense like Harden did.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

You mean he needs coaching…..good luck with that!!!

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is loving it here.

We are in for a long summer.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Well, it is a softer league than it used to be, you’d better.

I was belittling Dwight Howard because he only averaged 20 and 10.

A big man should be dominating and average 26 and 15......I did that....

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

After a week off, who’s excited to watch Christian Wood play basketball tonight? :cool:

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

sweet jayz yasss

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut, J.R. and Roomba like this.
  12. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

NOBODY!

Right?!

...right?

aaquaa likes this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

People, Wood is still NEW to the NBA and big men take longer to develop, especially since he was undrafted....Just the fact that he know he needs work is good enough for me.

People continue to compare Sengun and Wood. They are different players. Sengun has been trained and played center professionally since he was 14/15. Wood played one yr of college, bounced around from bounced around playing PF and Center overseas, G-League and the NBA, so who knows what type of consistent coaching he received.

Last yr was the first time he's been with the same team over back to back years. All I'm saying is to give him time. I think next yr is going to be a major jump for Wood.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If he makes a major jump next year for the Rockets at what position would that be? If we get Chet or Jabari, does Sengun go back to 16 mins a game? Does Smith or Chet get the Sengun treatment in favor of Wood. Wood will not suddenly be able to set a pick or mix it up with bigs. It is a 6 ft 10 in small forward or nothing for Wood. He is not an NBA center or PF for anybody, at least not a good one.

aaquaa likes this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Funny you say that! But I think he's more similar to Brandon Ingram, than Anthony Davis. Additionally, I think he is better served when he has the size advantage over is opponent.

I think having either Chet, Smith or Banchero would benefit Wood

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

This is his sixth season. He is 26. He is playing with the basketball IQ of Trevor Ariza 1.0.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Wood talks entirely way too much

aaquaa likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I guess we are in agreement. Wood could possibly grow into a net positive player for us if he was playing the perimeter on defense and was primarily a spot up 3 pt threat on offense. I’ve never been more sure of any basketball related item than Wood will never be a good defensive center in the NBA. If we get Chet or Smith, I would want Wood to come off the bench in a small ball lineup, but I doubt his ego could take it. I am very wary of Banchero, because I think he is pedestrian on defense and is really not that great of a 3 pt shooter. The Rockets desperately need a rim protector and Banchero is not that. If Banchero is the pick, then we should get rid of Wood and sign Williams or Kessler or someone like that if available with Nets pick or trade down for AJ and Kessler like player.

I really don’t want Wood on this team, but I’m playing along on what to do if we can’t get a decent return.

KPJ
    Green
    Matthews
    Chet/Smith
    Sengun

Nix
    Jaygup
    KJM or Nets pick
    Tate or Nets pick
    Wood

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bad take.

Ariza knew his skill set and was a great role player for a Championship team. He was forced into pushing his usage by Morey to see how far he could go but that was not on him.

Wood just flat out refuses to play to his strengths

aaquaa likes this.