1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to HATE how Christian Wood plays basketball.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Roomba, Feb 17, 2022.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Are you saying he didn't get lucky like the Spurs?

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't subscribe to the theory that making a lot of money must mean you have some level of smarts and there are a lot of very wealthy morons who back that theory up.

aaquaa, Patience, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep...silas alone will move this franchise to vegas he s tanking value of all our assets

DeBeards and Hank McDowell like this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sadly that poster wasn't the only one with that mindset. We had folks on here still thinking if we had a better coach, Wood would have a different mindset/player mentality.

Man is selfish as fk. And he does not play for the team.

#64 DatRocketFan, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    aaquaa and Patience like this.
  5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yes exactly

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If Ryan Anderson tried to play like he deserved a max contract, that would be eerily similar to what Christian Wood does now.

If Christian Wood devoted himself to setting picks, popping or rolling and boxing out for rebounds he'd basically just be Ryan Anderson. The only thing he does well is shoot 3s and even that is coming at the cost of absolutely slaughtering the flow of offense.

Ryan Anderson > Christian Wood

7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Mentioned this last year, said we should sell high, and people threw back some statistics on a 20/10 guy that can shoot 3s. oof

Tuckankhamun, aaquaa and hakeem94 like this.
  8. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

watch his Netflix Doc … the simple thinking is intelligence = wealth

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Need a culture change and upgrade. I started watching the game in the second half but I noticed that Schroeder seen irritated by Wood. And he also wasn’t passing to Wood either lol.

I don’t know. If we can blame this on Wood or the defense

but this tweet also reinforces what I been saying about we need to bring in a defensive coach. Silas probabaly really don’t know what to do to fix that situation and I doubt Diop or Hornysack does either.

10. vator

vator Contributing Member

They sleeping on me!

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Dennis Schroeder not passing the ball to Wood. Is a + move. I like Dennis even more now, Dennis is smart.

Christian Wood and KPJ mostly have a, - minus in box scores in most games.

Selfish in the highest way. Both need to be traded.

KPJ I don't think can be any way be a PG, a Defensive SF, Score 15 pts off the bench.
    KPJ is a slow down half court, mentally slow doesn't pass on easy cutters. Jalen has open so many times, KPJ puts up his own shot instead.

jcmoon, aaquaa, clutchdabear and 3 others like this.
  12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Shareef Abdur-Rahim comes to mind. PF that always put up huge offensive numbers for a bad Vancouver team and then a bad Atlanta team…even made the All Star team once his first year as a Hawk. Defensive numbers were atrocious though. By the time he got to a decent Sacramento team, he was no longer the first option, but the Kings still got knocked out in the first round…only time he made the playoffs in his 12 year career. To me, he was the king of the great stats on a bad team players.

funny thing is that I believe he’s in an executive role for the NBA in regards to player development. Might be why the stats in the G-League are so offensive leaning.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i am not gonna sit calmly and listen to rhyno slander....hes a rockets legend, he absolutely tried on defense and was a team player...deserved every penny of that 20 mil per....

14. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

That's a great comparison.

Only difference in my opinion is that Shareef was a far more complete player than Wood has ever been (and may ever be) and seems to have been generally a pretty good locker room guy.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is the best defender of bigs and smalls and he is 6'4.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah the 90s were different. Most people had major skills.

Roomba likes this.
  17. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

He was brought in to play alongside Harden who plays well with Centers that can catch the ball in traffic. We had a glimpse of how well Wood did that. Capella/Harden connection was quite consistent and Wood was Capella's replacement. Now that type of play is hardly seen since every player is trying to showcase their own game. Wood's decision-making on iso is terrible but with the right set of passers around him, he can be more effective, and team simply does not have good passers.

Do not understand all the hate when all the players currently in this team are doing exactly what he is also doing, playing selfish ball. Everyone feels like they are on the block for the next trade to happen (besides rookies) and they hell are not making the playoffs so might as well try to boost their value for a fat paycheck in the future. Silas too has no strategy nor consistency.

Now what he feels about himself via tweets and press conferences is completely subjective. He does not have superstar-type leadership qualities nor he ever will be in my opinion. But put him in a non-rebuilding team, he can give solid production.

aaquaa and jcmoon like this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

If that read as RA slander, I apologize. In no way was that my intention.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I would be shocked if Wood made it into next season as a Rocket. I have a feeling he continues to be trade bait through the draft(especially if Houston falls a few spots from bad ping pong balls) and if he makes it past that, in the off-season there will likely be a sold to the highest bidder situation.

If Houston let’s say has the 5th pick and is offering Christian Wood and a pick swap, you gotta consider it if you are let’s say OKC or Orlando. Same scenario if Brooklyn ends up giving us a pick in the mid teens- use Wood as a pick swap sweetener. He’s not a bad player on the right team - he’s just not a fit here.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I love when Wood takes the ball up and completely ignores his guards. It only happens 15 to 20 times a game but if we got rid of his teammates he could probably do it every time. Silas holding him back confirmed.

He looks just like Scottie Pippen. We’ve all known it and we just let it slide. He’s telling you who he is.

hakeem94, aaquaa and Patience like this.