1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown to HATE how Christian Wood plays basketball.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Roomba, Feb 17, 2022.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

2. fattz

fattz Member

Wood is a taller Kenny Smith. The talent, skills, bb-iq and physical is all there. Everything is great less the “it”. Sam Cassell & Sengun both have the “it”. On paper both Wood and Kenny are better basketball players; but most would choose Sam and Sengun over them if picking teams.

Joe Rocket and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

My opinion

Rocket fans don’t know how to handle the team being so bad and must place blame on a great enemy. Wall last season, Theis to start the season, Wood after, and Silas.

In reality there are a myriad of factors all across the roster for why we’re losing (we’re just a bad TEAM) and people are severely over reacting to everything negative Wood does while constantly diminishing his positives.

If you expected Wood to single handedly make us a playoff team, he wouldn’t be a 14 mill per player in his prime, he’d be an all time great on a max. Y’all’s expectations are way off. If you think removing Wood makes the team more competitive, just wait until we do and find out we’re still trash, then you’ll find a new scape goat to place all the blame on.

fattz, groovemachine and Roomba like this.
  4. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

@Ferntits
    @kidneySTONE
    [​IMG]

i3artow i3aller, fattz and BigShasta like this.
  5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Dude some of these clowns are still blaming Harden. There’s going to always be that one guy that folks want to pin everything on but at the end of the day it’s a group effort to win or suck this bad.

fattz likes this.
  6. Tmac1Yao11

Tmac1Yao11 Member

It has nothing to do with being competetive or winning, our "best player" is terrible, its that simple. He is not showing effort on defensive rotations, is not boxing out, gets thrown around down low, sets no screens, is the worst passer on the team, is a black hole.

He brings nothing to the team and absolutly nothing to the development of our young guys, which should be the number one priority.

7. H. Christopher

Undrafted fodder.

Joe Rocket and aaquaa like this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It’s painful to see so much talent in a body with no heart, connected to a cranium with no BBIQ. We simply have to move on this offseason. It’s so obvious that we are actually a better team when he’s not on the floor.

9. mightybosstone

With Wall on the bench all season, Stone and Silas needed someone to play the role of tank commander: Enter Christian Wood. Briliant.

In all seriousness, this guy needs to go. I can't recall seeing a guy post stats at the expense of his team like this and just actively seem to sabotage every game with putrid defense and selfish offense. Watching these two games back-to-back, it's pretty clear what the difference was: the Rockets are a much better team when Wood doesn't play.

It's frustrating, because he has skills, and maybe on the right team with a strong core of veterans he could put it together. This squad isn't that. Stone needs to move him in the offseason, and I don't care if it's for a 2nd round pick and a six pack of beer. He needs to be gone if the Rockets are ever going to be taken seriously.

IvanLCPM, slothy420, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yes, Christian Wood, who played fewer minutes than any other starter last night, is 100% to blame for this loss. Y'all are not acting irrationally or looking for scapegoats in the slightest.

#30 Houston77, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  11. bmelo

bmelo Member

his scoring means nothing when he can't defend anything. There is a reason he was in gleague and 10 different teams

aaquaa likes this.
  12. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

So my perspective as someone who just likes watching the Rockets play is that Wood is directly getting in the way of enjoyable basketball. Yes, we're going to lose a lot, yes our roster is pretty ****--BUT! These young Rockets can run the break, jump, dunk, and slash with the best of them. When Sengun is on the court, like or dislike him the ball tends to move.

Wood is the direct cause of a lot of our offensive stagnation, and more than a few times every game decides he wants to be Magic and take the ball up himself...while missing a bunch of transition opportunities for players like Green and KJ. His body language is bad, his playstyle is selfish, he takes a bunch of bad shots and I was never as frustrated with John Wall as I have been with Christian Wood.

For me, John Wall was basically a better, overpaid version of the current Schroeder. Some head-scratching decisions and weird hero ball, but he's still a point guard and can make use of trailers, runners and cutters. I think Wood can be good on a team like Golden State where he's the clear 3rd of 4th option and won't pout if he doesn't get touches. Hell, I think he can even be a championship player in that sort of situation. But in my opinion he is the single least fun player to watch on the entire team to watch.

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He’s an offensive Role player on a team the needs a foundational star and an interior defensive anchor in the worst way. His final numbers are never bad but if you watch the game you get that he’s not a star.

fattz, aaquaa and Roomba like this.
  14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Wood is insanely talented, but physically he’s just too weak to overcome his defensive limitations in the paint. You have to either scheme around that or surround him with talent that can make up the difference, but the Rockets don’t do either one of those things. As a result, you get what you get. He’s not a bad player overall, but he’s not good enough to win with like this.

xtruroyaltyx and fattz like this.
  15. conquistador#11

Javal came into the league weighing 230 and stayed at that weight for years but was always hustling and putting effort on D. Wood last season showed more effort on the other end.

16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

the dude is still a string bean after being in the league for what 6-7 years? says everything to me about his "work ethic" he seems to pride himself in. even steve nash bulked up a bit...

i aboslutely loved it when DS looked shocked when Wood expected him to inbound the ball to Wood after a made basket but Dennis stood there just staring at him untill Wood inbounded.

MettaWorldPete and aaquaa like this.
  17. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I was going to post this a few days ago but I can be pretty lazy at times. From my perspective Christian Wood goes on the court to get his stats and couldn't care less about winning. He tries to force confidence in himself when to me it appears he lacks it which shows in his free throw shooting. Also the offense just stops when it comes to his hands. I think the players don't like playing with him because the effort level drops drastically when he is on the court.

Our team NEEDS a defensive anchor like lets say a ... Jarret Allen (just using him as an example because we got him in the Harden trade but who knows if he said he didn't want to be here or not and wouldn't resign). It disgusts me to see Tate having to guard opposing centers 3 feet taller than him. I watch the game and see Tate having to guard Gobert or something. Wood is bad for team chemistry, Sengun development, defense and offensive flows.

I am not sure if Sengun is the answer at the 5 for this team because of some glaring concerns but I would much rather give him the chance to prove what he can do and if he can work on his weaknesses. Hopefully he grows a few inches too.

I hope Wood is gone by off season. The experiment is done. He limits the players that can be on the court with him. He is a 4 that plays the 5 but can't play with another 5. Bye bye Wood.

18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Well said! Also based on his Twitter, Wood is also very un-self-aware, which is never a good trait for a supposed leader

MettaWorldPete and aaquaa like this.
  19. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Wood is just on cruise control collecting a paycheck. He won’t be here past next season.

20. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Basketball IQ? I don't think so.
    As for the physique, he's no center with that thin body. He's a 3 who wants all the working space of the 5 to himself as well.