1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown tired of Jose Abreu

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Underrated23, May 7, 2023.

1. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Bell Apr 27G, 7R, 13RBI, 9 2b, 3HR, .206avg,. 688 OPS

NOW: 36G, 7R, 16RBI, 9 2b, 3HR,. 219avg.,. 695 OPS

don't know about fielding.

Bell was my choice but looks like none are good options.

Buck Turgidson and Kim like this.
  2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know everyone was ready to get rid of him, but I would've brought Yuli back as a part time player.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yuli has been just as bad as people expected him to be, he currently has a negative WAR.

As of right now the screw up is Abreu. Still a lot of season to determine what move we "should" have made, but I highly doubt signing Yuli would have been it.

ryan_98 and Qan like this.
  4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Not worried about Abreu. He could be terrible all season then have a great postseason.

5. Nook

Nook Member

There is a lot of season left.

I asked around the Astros if there is a real fear he is toast.

I was told that they don't think he is toast, that his mechanics are the most likely culprit and that he has had some problems adjusting off the field, as he was really a creature of habit in Chicago.

We are third worst in OPS when I last looked - getting Abreu hitting like he has in the past will go a long way to winning.

Abreu is a perfect fit for the lineup when he is producing.

Jags, whiskeyred, Baba Booey and 5 others like this.
  6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

None was my first choice. Free agency is always the last place I look for a solution. In this case it seemed like no other options were even explored. My philosophy has always been that an internal solution is the first option, the trade market or an international signing is next. If all else fails and you are forced into the free agent market it is always best to avoid long term or high dollar commitments. Tread lightly and get out as quickly as possible.

7. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

Man that’s a great point. Could be the Nerves. New team, new city, new teammates etc… plus the pressure of producing on an already great/contending team. Just hope he can figure it out.

Nook likes this.
  8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you, as always, for sharing your insights!!

Regarding the adjustments, can we let him wear a lucky undershirt or maybe use some VR glasses to mimic his "normal" pregame routine? :cool:

it's probably some combination of physical and mental. Hope the big man breaks out of it soon. Go grab a pregame/post-game meal at his usual haunt... anything to turn it around for him.

Baba Booey and Nook like this.
  9. Jay713

Jay713 Member

He should have plenty figured out by now, at his age. Still worrisome.

10. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

Bvllshit excuse... the "better / great / contending" teammates, staff, coaches, technology should make him better, no...?
    He was "producing" already-- its time to quit having manager/player meetings and gel.
    ...unless he's already retired in his mind.
    Shitorgetoffthepot dude... the team and the city believed in you.

11. dmoneybangbang

Still too early, but nevertheless concerning.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Trade Jose Abreu back to Chicago during this Series, any Prospect will do.

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jose Abreu is injured, Astros must sit him and play Yainer Diaz at 1B for Good. Yainer Diaz did Great at 1B.

14. Underrated23

Underrated23 Member

Guess he will turn it around next season. Our offseason signings smh.

15. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

dude it’s not that deep… I'm just giving him
    And the Astros the benefit of the doubt. What are they supposed to do. Bench him?

16. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I said it in the game thread but I’ll say it again here.

Call me crazy, but I think he has started to swing the bat a little better the last week.

Edit: and he wore an undershirt!

Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  17. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

Fvcking right, friend. Don't be an apologist.
    Bench his ass till he realizes this is a championship team... this is unacceptable.
    Top-to-bottom, bottom-to-top.
    Get with the program or GTFO.

edit: I can't understand how some posters/fans here can be patient & "ok" with sub-par/regressed results... look SP/RP/IF/OF needs to be upgraded... that dude shouldnt be a part of the Astros system. Period.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So you think he's just not trying and needs to take things seriously? That's a stupid ass observation.

Yes they are a championship organization. A huge part of that pedigree is not panicking and pivoting from their plan over smallish samples. That's the type of thing trash franchises do. I'm sure you were screaming for changes last season when they stumbled out of the gate.

That's not to say Abreu is untouchable all season. There will come a point when changes have to be made, 45 days in is not that time.

marks0223, kaw1988, Bregatron and 3 others like this.
  19. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

I can’t understand how stupid some baseball fans on this forum are. First…if you watch baseball regularly you should understand that slumps are a regular occurrence for every single player. As bad as Abreu has been it still has only been six weeks. That sample is small versus the success of the rest of career. Second…bench him for who exactly? Hensley and his 31WRC+ or Diaz and his 48 WRC+?

Astro fans are patient in May because we are in the ALCS every year in October. You sound like a moron but maybe you are just in a slump.

marks0223, kaw1988 and Bregatron like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I had first row tickets and got to see Abreu in person. He honestly didn’t look done. He caught up and pulled a few 97 mph fastballs inside and hit another up in the zone in the mid 90’s. The issue I noticed was he was rolling the ball over and his swing angle was all messed up.