1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown tired of Jose Abreu

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Underrated23, May 7, 2023.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Can’t.

he just has to find his groove

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

We ordered Armani and got JC Penny.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He hit a hall 110 mph yesterday. He may be declining but there has got to be a way he can get back to at least being a league average hitter. Still would be one of the top 10 worst contracts in baseball but at least he’d be playable. At what he’s done so far this season we are just suffering until it becomes palatable to release him mid 2024.

ryan_98 likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Ordered Armani and got Goodwill.

Houstunna and Qan like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jose-abreu-547989?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

He…stinks.

Batting him fourth is a fireable offense. He shouldn’t even be starting. (But instead, we’re gonna double down. “Well we paid him, so we gotta continue to start him!” … What did Dusty say today, “Gotta continue to start and play him to get him going!”)

“We've got to get Abreu going, and the only way to get going is to play. This guy, for years has played almost every day. We've just got to get him going.”

If I set the O/U at 5.5 HRs, taking the O/U? I’m taking the under.

One guy, DFA’d this week. The other, batting fourth.
    And checking in with an old friend

“It is quite likely, however, that the Astros, whether Jim Crane or his factotums or Reggie Jackson or whoever is making these decisions, believe they got an elite player in José Abreu.” … “The Astros aren’t buying Abreu’s 2022 performance. They’re buying his 2023-2025 performances, and those are extremely likely to be worse, starting in year one and declining sharply from there. For one thing, he’ll play at 36 this year, and his production outside of 2022 hasn’t been elite for some time; from 2018-21, he had just a .340 OBP, .336 if you take out the intentional walks.” … “In 2022, his production changed, and it’s something we’ve seen before. He lost some bat speed and started to struggle on four-seamers for the first time in his MLB career. His contact quality went down on four-seamers, and the harder the pitch, the more likely he was to whiff. He actually hit the fewest homers of any season since he first signed with the White Sox a decade ago, just 15, fewer than he hit in the 60-game 2020 season. He put the ball on the ground more and went the other way a lot more, which, in an older player, is often a sign that he can no longer get around on pitches he used to pull or hit back up the middle.”

#185 J.R., May 20, 2023
    Last edited: May 20, 2023
    InTheGroove, Salvy and everyday eddie like this.
  6. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

And a manager who keeps it just the way it is. While our catcher pounds throws in. The dirt and is about to be 30 points under the mendoza line.

Tuckmose and Stephen66 like this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He should be playing every day in the minors somewhere until he shows something. I know that won't ever happen, but batting him cleanup is absolute insanity.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm done, dude has to get dropped to the bottom of the order. Maldonado has a higher OPS than Abreu. Keep him at the bottom of the order and hope he figures it out. You're married to him for 3 years. If he's still swinging like a poor mans Adam Everett by the trade deadline make a move Brown.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

All of you are looking at it the wrong way. Imagine what a feat it will be to win the World Series with a cleanup hitter with a .532 OPS. The rest of baseball just can't handle the Astros way.

Tuckmose likes this.
  10. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Dana Brown giving fraud vibes

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Yordan and Tucker back to back went well and won them the game against the Cubs. I'm certain Abreu hits into a double play in that situation and ends the game instead of Tucker walking it off. What triggered Dusty to go back? Did he think Altuve coming back would spark something in Abreu?

everyday eddie and ryan_98 like this.
  12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Dana can only do so much. He didn't sign Abreu, Bagwell did. He's not going to order Dusty what to do when he's the new guy in town. Dusty went around Click's back to Crane when he was feeling managed and pressured. It's probably part of the reason Click got fired.

BMoney, marks0223 and Stephen66 like this.
  13. Underrated23

Underrated23 Member

I kinda hate bagwell now only for this signing. Can he participate in load management?He must have drunk pictures of Dusty.

arabrocket likes this.
  14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Maybe Dusty keeps playing Abreu hoping he gets injured?

;)

Houstunna likes this.
  15. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Diaz at first and Lee/Maldy catching might give you better results than Abreu.

BlindHog and Stephen66 like this.
  16. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

It's only our good players that get hurt.

Houstunna likes this.
  17. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

His place in the line up is not his fault.

Tomstro likes this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Abreu should bat 7th or 8th until he works out of this. Play him everyday but bat him in the bottom 3rd of the order.

19. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

At least for now he belongs on the bench. Play him when a game is put away one way or another. If Dusty b****es put him on the FHA program.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

There was no damn reason for Dusty to move him back in front of Tucker.

I'm fine with him playing, him separating our 2 best hitters right now is absurd.

everyday eddie and Baba Booey like this.