1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have a question about a computer operating system

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocksMillenium, Dec 5, 2007.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I was going to buy a computer from Walmarts but instead of a Windows operating system it has something called a gOS operating system. What on god's green earth is a gOS operating system!?

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I think it is the new OS that walmart was helping develop. I'm not sure as to what the specifications are though, I haven't tried it out yet. Your best bet is to pass by on this offer. Check Fry's if you want a affordable, yet good computer. :D

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

gOS is a nice little operating system based on Linux. Supposedly it is extremely user friendly and pretty good if all you want to do with the computer is surf the Internet and do basic tasks.

Of course, if you want to play Warcraft on that PC, you're gonna have to install Windows on it.

4. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

interesting, I"ve never heard of this operating system before, I say pass it, you can get a windows vista(basic) computer for a comparable price at Fry's or online

5. JeopardE

Probably not. The PCs running gOS IIRC are extremely cheap ... usually under $200. The whole idea is to skip the bling/bloat and get a computer that simply does what you need it to do, and that's what the gPC does. The other selling point about it is the way the OS integrates with Google.

www.thinkgos.com is the web site.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

*EDIT* : Wups ... JeopardE beat me to it.

7. RocksMillenium

So do you think a computer with gOS would be strong enough to install Windows on it?

8. JeopardE

It would definitely run Windows XP -- it might struggle with Vista. But then, if you want to run Vista, you shouldn't be buying a $199 PC in the first place, because Vista will run a lot slower than gOS even if you double the RAM on the same hardware.

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Can't believe I haven't heard of these, but when you can spend less than twice as much and actually get a monitor (a 19" LCD even), twice the RAM, sound, an actual dual core Intel processor, and an OS that would allow you to--oh, I don't know--run some programs if you ever decided you wanted to do that..........I just don't get how someone could buy one of these.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

11. RocksMillenium

Thanks for the info! I was curious about this system because I was looking at buying a computer and saw that computer and never heard of a gOS.

12. WildSweet&Cool