1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have a feeling this will be a special season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElPigto, Jul 21, 2010.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It feels like this season is going to be special. I been a Rockets fan since the championship years and although I don't remember a lot of the late 90's teams since I was only a kid, I do remember the teams we have had throughout this past decade. However, no team that we have had in the past has ever made me feel that we were true contenders. There have been many instances where it seemed we were one piece of way from being a contender, but one way or another we always failed to get that player.

This season seems different though. I know we were not able to acquire Chris Bosh, but frankly I don't think it matters too much. The moves we did make feel right. Signing Brad Miller is a great move although many in this message board underrate the deal. Miller knows this system very well and although he isn't the fastest or most athletic person in the world, he will bring a lot more stability to our team. He might not be the best defensive player, but he will bring toughness and he will try his best to guard his man. Simply having a guy with his size in there is going to make a difference this season. On the offensive end, he is going to help our team a lot by freeing up the guards a lot more and finding them under the basket for a lay up.

Bringing Lowry and Scola back is also another move that is great for this organization. Personally, it shows me as a fan that our owner is committed to winning. Yes, Lowry and Scola got a bit more than what we had hoped for, but is not as if these guys are going to coast for the rest of their careers now. These guys are winners and they pride themselves in being the best they can be. With them back, we solidified our back up PG spot and also bring back the best PF we have had since Charles Barkley.

My guess for the posters that complained about being disappointed this offseason are mostly fans that haven't followed the Rockets very long. I don't understand how anyone could be disappointed with this offseason. When is the last time a Rockets fan could say, we have a very good PG rotation. Since I been a fan I can only say with certainty that Smith/Cassell combo has been the best duo we have had since forever. As much as I loved Francis, we all know he wasn't a real point guard. Bob Sura only lasted here one season and Mike James only memorable time was that half season with the Rockets as well. Honestly, we haven't had many good PG's the last decade, so I really do appreciate the combo we have now (don't understand why people want to trade Brooks).

Also, when is the last time this team had a solid four? As far back as I can remember, I remember only Charles Barkley. We've had such a hard time finding a solid four and now that we paid a player that has solidified our PF spot, people were still complaining about the offseason.

I know a lot posters were down with the Trevor Ariza signing, but I also think this was a great signing by Morey. I was a bit sour on Ariza before the Martin trade because of the fact that he was forced into a 2nd option. Most of us knew that Ariza was not a shooting guard, but we didn't really have options at this spot. Now that he is back at his natural SF position, we can finally watch him excel (like he did after the Martin trade). The wing position overall is great. We have Kevin Martin, a solid shooter and a player that will help us get into the penalty earlier. We still have Shane, who will continue providing veteran leadership from the bench and also give us another option defensively to put on the opposing teams best player (I know he lost some quickness, but he is still a solid defender). Budinger also has a season's experience under his belt and he truly is going to be a great rotational player behind Martin and Ariza/Battier.

This season, hopefully with a healthy Yao, I truly believe we are a contender. We have solid wing rotation in Ariza, Battier, Martin, Budinger, and Taylor. We have a solid PG rotation in Brooks/Lowry. We have good C rotation in Miller/Yao. And even our PF rotation is going to be great with Scola/(combination of Patterson/Hill/Hayes depending on match-ups). Sure we don't have 3 stars like Miami or Boston. We also don't have the best player in the NBA (Kobe Bryant, I know this is arguable). We don't have anyone that is the best at their position in the NBA, but we do have a solid group of guys who are not crap and finally, after so many years we have something that resembles a real team.

No longer do we have to hope that an Eddie Griffin or a Mo Taylor live up to their potential. No longer do we have a hobbling superstar who only makes excuses when he loses. No longer do we have a masonry worker at the one, but rather guys who can put the ball in the basket or drive with reckless abandon. No longer do we suffer from lack of depth, but are now one of the deepest teams in the league.

We may not win the championship this season, but I still feel this season will be special. I feel our team is finally complete and we are ready to compete with the best in the NBA. Many writers out there might underrate us. Many of our own fans might be pessimistic about the group of guys we have. However, me, I feel we are at least going to make it to the WCF. I know a lot of this is dependent on Yao staying healthy for the whole season, but I have faith that the basketball Gods will grant us a healthy season.

6 people like this.
  2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

WOW is this a positive thread and not about trades. kudos. Oh yeah and i'm with you put I actually thought if we didn't hav ethe injury bug in 2008 we would've won it all.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I feel that this year we have most talent ever on the Rockets roster since I have taken ownership of the team

Signed

Les Alexander

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I am NOT a YOF

We do have the best Center in the league in Yao. Anytime he is on the floor, he is the best 5, even at 75%.

*I'm not a YOF*

5. engr chris

engr chris Member

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I felt like we had a shot at it all in 2008-2009. The talent was all there for a run. The Lakers had been knocked down hard in the finals by the Celtics, and the Rockets looked to have that same kind of toughness with Landry, Scola, Lowry, and most of all Ron Ron. I maintain that the pieces were there, health abiding, for us to beat the Lakers and trounce the Nuggies and Magic after them. But of course we would never have played the Lakers in round 2 had Tracy actually showed up, because we would have been the 2 or maybe even 1 seed, with more time to build up to gain momentum before we actually had to play the Lakers.

That's why I and many other hardcore fans are willing to overlook all the good years Tracy did give us, because he took the single BEST year we could have had and torpedoed it all by himself.

This next year we have less talent than we would have had with a healthy Yao, healthy Ron, and healthy T-Mac in 08. But those days are gone, and I'll take what I can get. This team is young and hungry within a conference full of aging statuary. If there's any year to win the West, this would be the one. The Rockets put up a winning record last year and will add Yao, a full season of Kevin Martin, and Brad Miller while losing absolutely nothing (except perhaps another step from Shane Battier's speed). For once I want these Rockets not to be underrated, to go out there and grab a high seed like we deserve to have. And I believe we can do that this year.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Agreed the only thing that Dwight has on Yao is that he does get injured as much, but skill level is greater in Yao and he proves it everytime we play the Magic. Just because commentators say Dwight is the best doesn't mean he is, the media loves dunks and they ignore the fact that howard has almost no offensive skill what so ever.

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

*FIXED*

9. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I agree with all of this.

As far as brooks the only thing I would like to see is a little more growth. If he can average around 7-8 assists, and can be the most improved player on defense I will never want him to go anywhere (kinda never really wanted to trade him, it's only his 4th year in the league).

We are very solid, and I am part of the group that thinks we are contenders. I do want us to be a lot better defensively, and for someone to step up and develop into a defensive star to compliment the team (yes defensive stars help team defense) with battier (we don't have to trade for him, he just might be home grown or a rookie).

Beyond that, I think the sky is the limit for us. Awesome post. Good to hear insightful positive posters.

10. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

This! I was also really excited about the 08/09 season and felt, that we really had all the pieces we need together. But of course T-Mac never showed up and we had 22 million sitting on the bench.

This year we probably have the most well rounded team we`ve had in the last 15 years. But there are still two question marks left:

1. can Yao stay healthy and still contribute like he used to?
    2. can Brooks/Martin/Ariza/Buddinger be that go-to superstar kinda guy, that can always deliver in crunch time (I know Brooks showed some flashes, but I´m still not convinced)?

Getting a Superstar kinda player would be the missing piece for me... perhaps at the trade deadline we can make a move at a guy like Paul or Granger.

Right now we have a really exciting group of guys and nor glaring weaknesses. It´s gonna be a good season with a deep playoff run - if we can stay reasonably healthy.

11. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

AMEN!!

This team has more talent than the team that took the Lakers to 7 games. I will be disappointed with anything less than a 7 game series with Lakers this year.

12. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I do also feel this team is the best team we ever had. The Brooks that was playing with Yao before the injury is a COMPLETELY different Brooks now and it's much more deadly from the outside. He and Martin is going to make sure team stay guarded and not able to double Yao. Ariza is also a deadly shooter...so you can't double Yao at all. Add to the fact that all 3 can attack the basket, something we rarely have since Yao injury. Before, we have Brooks, Battier and Artest but Battier and Artest can't attack the basket because they're kind of slow off the dribble. So they're more like spot of shooters. Now you have Martin and Ariza that NOT ONLY can shoot the basket, but attack as well. THIS IS the ingredients we been looking for and we finally have them. We been looking for someone that not only shoot and shoot well, but also attack the rim relentless and go to the line. We were sICK of T-mac for not doing it enough....that's one of the reason he's out of here.

And now we also have the depth from all 5 positions. Lowry, Budinger, Battier, Patterson and Miller. All 5 are going be solid and we rarely have that before. I mean you have 3 tough bullies in Lowry and Battier and Patterson out there and that's going to make it hard for team to score. Budinger is another solid player and contributor off the bench that we got from last year....and with Patterson and addition of Miller, this team finally have all positions filled and make it easy for others like Scola and Yao to get some breather and not being so tired and drained.

13. rocketsmetalspd

This will be a great ride for the team and fans. I will be looking forward to seeing the Rockets start off playing well once the season gets going no excuses and may the best team win this season.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bSdhTH8NLQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8bSdhTH8NLQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

All these people keep saying we need a superstar player... from what i see this guy looks like is a superstar in the making. Watch how he plays this upcoming year.

15. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

fer the record, 2Pat hasn't played a single NBA game ...

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Agreed!

17. Galaksy

Galaksy Member

I've been having this feeling too, same for the SFgiants and the SFniners.

As for my hawks...it already happened :cool:

18. alethios

alethios Member

We just need to stay humble, hungry and HEALTHY! Then, yes, I think you're right.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

So do I but I am haunted by the Morey statement about our young players.
    The only problem might be Coach Adelman suppressing the development of our younger player by giving into intangibles which is now so far along the path, that it almost a myth.
    Hill, Budinger,Taylor and PP need to develop, they are our future! :p

20. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

I have this feeling before EVERY season. :( sigh...