1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

I have a fear of public speaking......

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Frank Black, Apr 24, 2001.

Tags:
  1. The Voice of Reason

WHAT IS UP?,

well I dont know if you are still checking this thread out, but I have alot of experience giving speaches. unlike Fadeaway and BGM, I am verry social, and LOVE public speaking. I love the attention, I love the challange, and I especially love the feeling of acomplishment in giving a good(read entertaining/informative) speach.

FIRST THINGS FIRST: what are your goals?? what is you professor after. is he only intrested in content, or does he want tome entertainment. If you are giving the quarterly report at a shareholders meeting you may want to fucus more on content than entertainment. however in school, if you can show to your teacher that the reat of the class is entertained/learned something through your efforty you win. I learned this in 6th grade whenI got a d on a presentation in socialstudeis. I had tons of info, but was booring, and intimidated. while Chris matott got an A by being very entertaining, but gave almost NO information. 3 years later I joined the debate team, and qualified for state and national championships. I have also debated quite succesfully in college. The number one trick is KNOWING YOUR AUDIANCE!!!!! seriously. you say you wish you could talk about sports, than talk about sports. start your speach with a VERY informal little talk. Hi guys, I gotta give a speach none of you want to hear about the da de da de data da(whatever the subject is) so before I bore you all to death let me tell you what i think about the Houston Rockets quickly. tell them how much you love them, wahtever you feel like, than add, well it appears that MR(mrs) Smith wants me to that I have a brain now. I will do my best not to dissapoint her... laugh ensues, and you beging your speach. but dont deliver a speach, hell anyone can memorize lines and liik like a pro athelete trying to do a commercial(dont they all just suck at reading lines). know your ingo, know your important points, and TELL them to your classmates. dont deilver the info, tell them as people. tell them in their terms.

when I used to debate at college, i would always size up the judge(s) before I started. tight ass conservative, tree huggung hippie, gay/lesbian activist, femminist, jock, whatever. cater your speach to the croud. since you are in school(HS I think) include any sexual referances you can think of) if you in college, make up sexual references, or drug references. be funny, be cool, relax.

if you get up and make an ass of yourself off the bat, its gravy from there on in.

also there are all kinds of little things like stance and body language that make you appear to be a better speaker. dont worry about them at this point. one thing you might want to think about though is NO GUM, and keep the like, and, ums as well as other vocalized pauses to a minimum. if you TPTALLY FU_K UP than rferback to the rockets again. be like " in 1672...74... um, uhh 1576... ohh ****.. This summer the rockets hope to procure the services of Chris Webber... 1492 columbus set sail for america. whatever. just have fun with it.

good luck

PEACE

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball
    www.hanta-force.com

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Thanks to everyone. I'm really behind the 8-ball now. The person who was supposed to turn in our report was ten minutes late and the professor WILL take off for it. So, our presentation HAS to be perfect to make an A.

Now, should I give this girl a bad peer evaluation ? I've NEVER done that, but I am so tempted. She's a type A personality who has been very hard to get along with. She's missed the last 4 meetings except the last one. And, when she shows up for this last meeting, she was impatient and bossy and saying things like "I can't believe it's already 9:30. I wanna finish ! I wanna go to bed!" And we're thinking "Calm down. If you had been here earlier, we wouldn't be at this point."

Anyway, her being late has put us up **** creek.

What shoud I do ? This sememster started out with promise, now it looks bad. I'm down ten points with 3 minutes to play guys; I need a pep talk.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

3. The Voice of Reason

FRY THE b****!!!!!!

she wouldnt do you any favors, and she screwed you outta 10%already. if your gonna go down, go down fighting. also in you report point out that loosing thw 10 pts put additional stress on you, and you were already not feeling too confident.

you will be fine, and besides. the pressure is off. the group will only remember hre incompetence. also youe speach in only a represtntation of their work, so if your speach sucks its your whole groups fault. (dont kill the messanger)

good luck
    PEACE

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball
    www.hanta-force.com

4. gr8-1

Two days away and I can't help but feel more nervous. Anything to combat that ? Any special breathing exercises. I know the subject matter now, but I still have this thing about all eyes being on me.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

5. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Listen to "Air Bull", and you'll get the needed confidence boost.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

[This message has been edited by DEANBCURTIS (edited April 30, 2001).]

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Just remember : You likely know more about the subject you are speaking on than anyone in the room. Be confident, if you mess up, they won't know the difference, and won't care.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Can't argue with that! [​IMG]

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

8. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Number One Rule: NEVER LOOK AT THE AUDIENCE. If you make eye contact with any members of the audience, they will distract you. Look OVER the audience, rather than at them.

------------------
    Rodney Dangerfield "Business is so bad, hookers are selling toasters"

Karma happens...and it tastes like chicken...

9. Holden

Holden Member

im scared of saying anything to anyone ever. i dont even want to leave the dorm room sometimes. i guess thats why i spend too much time typing to you people. no offense.

------------------
    make it stop.

10. dc sports

dc sports Member

Question...

Say you are a person who has a fear of public speaking, and are also shy around people of the opposite sex. Does picturing the audience in their underwear really help, or just make things worse?

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited May 01, 2001).]

11. gr8-1

gut check time guys......

------------------