1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

i hate windows updates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ico4498, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Of course. I used to work with many at an Israeli company. I was never scared until I said something jokingly in a Russian accent and one of them didn't laugh and another one did without smiling and said "you do a pretty good Russian accent." I was trying to break the ice and left fearing I would end up in a block of it. :D

2. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Oh no lol.

3. Buck Turgidson

I paid a guy $100 last week to upgrade my desktop to Windows 10 with all the service packs and firmware/Bios updates and such. Totally worth it to avoid said headaches.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why do you call it the big uodate? Which one? Got a link that describes it

im currently 10 with fairly recent updates, and, as typical, snoozing the most current until a good time. Is this current one im snoozing a doozy?

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's just the 21H1 update. I wait a month or so before installing most major updates, but this one, I forgot about.

heypartner likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I had this happen before. After rebooting (had to press and hold power button for 10sec to kill the system and boot up again) the system a few times, Windows rolled back the previous version (before the update). Good luck.

donkeypunch likes this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I cant even figure out how to turn off this annoying need to snooze. Seems there used to be a check box to do manual only, and you never got the annoying notifications. Is it hidden somewhere so I can tell windows to never remind me?

there was a time i could deselect parts of the update, too, like new apps and stuff…and only do essentials. I gave up looking for ability to do that again, lulz, and learned to accept whatever they choose to give me

8. TheresTheDagger

[​IMG]

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think the 21H1 update was optional, so I wasn't forced into it or anything. The others, I don't care about since I just tell it to install it when I shut down the pc nightly. The large OS updates I wait for others to beta-test for a while -- that and I sometimes run a backup before I attempt those.

You can try one of the ways in the link below (like the group policy editor) or you can go into Services and disable the Windows update service which may work, too.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

ryan_98 and heypartner like this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

It finally came back from the dead. 4 effing hours later. Damn, windows, fix yo ****.

TWS1986 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

In mother Russia, jokes slay you.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

my laptop slows down to a windows 98 pace whenever updates are available, forcing me to update. it's bullschitte. and it always happens right before meetings when i have to present.

TWS1986 likes this.
  13. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

i'm still not back to full functionality after the update that fueled my initial post ...

weirdly enough win10 has been the most stable win system i've used. it'll also be the last. still haven't picked which version of Linux it'll be.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dude, you work?

TWS1986 likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

i mean... work is relative. people give me monies for doing mostly nothing. i'm also more of an aesthetes. more precisely i enjoy teh noodz bebes

TWS1986 likes this.
  16. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Probably slowing down to install all that spyware my man! Especially against fapping.

Jontro likes this.
  17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I hate everything technology