1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

I hate to break it to you guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The Umlaut will be a beast for us for many years to come.

2. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

No. It's a world of a difference. It's the difference between a high school student dunking and an elementary school kid dunking. The potential for more is exponentially greater were we to achieve the "same" record as last year.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

there's a lot of truth in what you say CXbby. There's also a lot of bold predictions and exaggerations. I like the post, but you do have track record of exaggeration. Your cred took a big hit with Morris as far as I'm concerned.

But I agree with your sentiment. McHale came here to win games, not to tank. He's going to go with the vets because the vets give us the best chance to win games. I also agree that we will be an improved team defensively. I've definitely seen a change in Martin's defense since McHale came on board. I also agree that Lin has another gear during crunch time.

If i was a betting man, I'd say you are right about our rookies getting less playing time than we'd like to see, but I don't think that's going to include Jones, and i think that Lamb will have plenty of playing time after we trade Martin at the deadline ...which WE WILL! That alone will assure us of not making the playoffs. Martin cannot be on this team after the deadline. It simply runs contrary to any logic or reason. You're probably right that we will not have a top 5 pick. I never thought we would.

40 wins is an exaggeration. but good post though. fun post. i like the way you own it.

4. chapinha_br

chapinha_br Member

Hate to break it to you, but you suck at predictions.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I would agree if McHale runs the ship himself. And I know the precedence with previous youngsters on this team would indicate what you're saying, Cxbby.

BUT... this year is different from past years for numerous reasons. Most glaringly the fact that the Rockets management have finally given up on shooting for the playoffs. When Adelman/McHale kept rookies on the bench, they had the blessing of the front office to put wins as priority. That's no longer the case. I think minutes distribution will be a little more balanced because Les/Morey will dictate that the better rookies get more playing experience. In addition, with a crappier lineup, we are more likely to lose games and force McHale to try different things more than before. If a veteran's sucking, McHale's more likely to pull him than before.

That said, I do believe at least in the beginning, the rookies will not get much playing time. They will suck on defense, which doesn't bode well for a defensive-minded coach. And they'll be mistake prone, which doesn't bode well for any coach. But I think after 20-30 games, assuming they earned it, we could see a much younger lineup than you'd expect.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

When people say that the Rockets will go with the vets - who the hell are they talking about? There are only three true veterans on this team (and that includes Livingston who is by no means a lock to make the roster). There are potentially five rookies on this team in Lamb, White, Jones, Motiejunas and Machado. And that's before we even get around to the second year guys. Even Lin has less than 82 games of real in game experience.

They will play the young guys because that's all they have.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

To start the season, Douglas, Livingston, Delfino, and Jones will be the 4 coming off the bench. That means in our entire rotation, there will be 1 rookie.

As the season progresses, I agree with what meh said above. Hopefully Lamb and White can also break through, but only because they are outplaying guys like Livingston and Patterson to earn minutes.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

As I said above, I don't think Livingston is a lock to make the roster. We'll see. But even if those guys make it - somebody is going to get injured at some point. And when that happens, over half of our team will be rookies and second year players. They will play.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Livingston plays the game well and is a natural fit next to Douglas. He is a glue guy like Parsons. Lamb will get his shot, but it won't be handed to him. Some of the shots he takes now are unacceptable. But he will learn, or keep sitting. You have to remember, most of our rookies are so green that they are still learning some of the NBA rules.

No doubt the rookies will play. Just much less than some anticipate. At least initially. People can either accept that now, or cry about how McHale doesn't play rookies after the first week. Either way, it will be better off for the team, and more importantly the development of the rookies themselves, into winning basketball players.

10. King Boo

King Boo Member

He got one prediction wrong bro, and even then the guy in question is just in his second year lol.

Whats wrong with wanting your team to succeed? I think the OP makes some good points. The team looks a LOT better than what I expected it to be a few months ago, especially on the defensive end. Aside from back-up center, I see no major holes in this team. And if nothing else, we'll be fun to watch. I'm excited :)

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

yeah, because 2k13 is the same as reality. :rolleyes:
    or maybe you suck playing 2k13.

12. King Boo

King Boo Member

I can beat the Heat using the Bobcats. Jocar just sucks.

13. butterball

butterball Member

People shouldn't be so quick to call bust on Morris. He looked good in the first game and may be turning a corner. He can be the Rockets' Kareem Jackson.

14. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Stopped reading.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

We will end the season just under .500 and get the 10th pick in the draft

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Cleverly disguised "If the promising youngsters don't develop, don't blame the coach" thread.

VERY cleverly, I'll give you that, CXbby.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

99er says shut cho face. so shut cho face. McHale will get fired if he doesn't play the rooks. Quit kidding yourself. That's why he's here and he knows it.

18. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

if they don't develop, wouldn't it be the coach's fault for not playing them? if Mchale is smart, he'd play the rookies heavy minutes and give himself an excuse if we don't win games. but if we do win and make the playoffs with the rookies playing heavy minutes, then he'd end up looking like the coach of the year and earn himself an extension. on the other hand, if he makes it so obvious that he's trying to win games just to save his job by playing only vets, then he loses even if we make the playoffs since the rookies don't get developed AND people will say "Linsanity 2.0 carried the team to the playoffs" and Morey will get the GM of the year for signing Lin and Asik.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Get out Mittens! :mad:

[​IMG]