1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

i had to let you know...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shandon Anversen, Jul 6, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Shandon Anversen

despite this horrid moniker,

shandn andersn still sucks.

now, why are some people here still considering bringing him back to the rockets? we already have a logjam at the 3 spot, where he might be best suited (calling him a "shooting" guard is an oxymoron).

at the 2 spot, yes, we have cat, but we also can run t-morris at the 2. we also can squeeze langhi in at the two. we also can move francis to the two. all these are better options than shandn.

so why even CONSIDER bringing back a non-shooting-shooting-guard who thinks he should be an nba starter?

i know some say that he can be a valuable piece, his defense is great, yadda yadda yadda, but the bottom line is he's a 11th or 12th bench player who believes he deserves to be a starter. do we want that potential blownup chemistry experiment on our team?

i think not.

------------------
    here's a verse:

hating this name is a full time job for me;
    shandon in the nba is highway robbery!

2. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

If the Rockets were committed to winning now, and not a rebuilding process, there is no doubt that Anderson should start. He is the best defender, can run with Steve and Cat, and gives great effort at all times.

Unfortunately for Shandon, the Rockets need to rebuild, and Cat and Griffin should take most of his minutes. I hope Shandon ends up with a team that needs his talents, because SA has alot to offer.

------------------

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

So I take it that Vernon Maxwell was also not a shooting guard? Don't take the name of the position that seriously, Shandon. There is very little "power" to Mo's game, but he still starts at power forward.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

5. Shandon Anversen

[​IMG]

is there a "go to hell" smilie?

how about a "middle finger" smilie?

------------------
    here's a verse:

6. haven

haven Member

*sigh*... and here I thought we had universal consensus about Shandon Anderson's role on a good team.

I have a task for you verse: go through last year's rosters, and come back and tell me how many 11th or 12th men were as good as Shandon Anderson. I'm waging that it would be a waste of your time.

Anderson would be in the 6-8 range on the depth chart for any team in the league except Portland, and perhaps one or two others loaded with guards. If you disagree... let's hear some names.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

7. Milos

Milos Member

Shandon a chemistry problem? He was the one guy who was consistently overlooked in the offense last year, yet he always kept his mouth closed and the rest of his game in top shape.
    He is also the only player on our current roster who can lock up the bigger 2's. He is also the one guy on our team who takes pride in doing the "dirty work" that is so vital for a winning team.
    I do agree, however, that his style of play does not fit the jump-shooting Rockets. I have nothing but respect for what he has done for the Rockets, fitting into the role-player mold of past Rockets like OT, Horry, and Sam Cassell. I guarantee you some team in need of his talents will find a place for him on their roster, and it won't be as the 11th or 12th benchwarmer.

------------------

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Excellent post.

Where do you begin with Shandon? To start with, he has no place on this team. At SF, he is outclassed and undersized. What teams with 6'6 SF's will succeed in today's NBA? And besides, we just picked up two pretty damn good players in Griffin and Morris, both having strong defensive games and play naturally at the SF spot.

Some say he can play the backup SG. Why? This is a guy who thinks he should be getting major minutes and a starting role. I hardly think he would fit in here as the backup SG. Consider that when healthy, you have the option of going to a bench backcourt of Moochie and Steve Francis, or Moochie and Shandon Anderson. Is that a hard decision?

And that's not even talking about his skills, or lack of. Offensively, he's almost useless. He's a poor shooter, and in 75% of the games he just slides around that three point line waiting for the open shot that he inevitably bricks. He has some good ability when he slashes to the basket and cuts, but that only happened in about 25% or less of the games, and even if he became more aggressive I don't think he could do it on a consistent basis because of his weak ballhandling skills. He can get out in transition, but what NBA SF's can't? I guarantee you Morris and Griffin can. He also used to be a good post-up player, but like many other aspects of his game, he has been significantly slowed down there.

Defensively, he's an average to above average defender. All of this talk that he is a stopper, that he is better than the rest of our guards, etc. needs to stop. Cuttino played defense very comparable to Shandon's last year, and I'll guarantee you that Cuttino will defend SG's better than Shandon will defend SF's, which would be his only place on this team.

Yes, he's said he's working on his ball-handling, shooting, etc. and that he will be more aggressive. How many times have we heard that before? There's no reason to believe he's more serious now than before. Offensively, he's below average wherever you play him. He's a poor shooter, and while he can slash, he does it far too little and his ballhandling is too poor to do it consistently. Defensively, he is average to above average, but certainly not at the SF spot, which is the only place we have for him on this team. And his "intangibles" aren't all that great. It's not like he's a team leader, or a so-called stopper. He isn't a great hustler, despite the claims of many on this board, and he certainly isn't a creator or playmaker. In fact, all I could see him doing, if resigned, is complaining over not getting minutes when the three people who will mostly play his spots are Mobley, Griffin, and Francis. He may not be an 11th or 12th man, but he's no starter, and probably not a 6th or 7th man on playoff teams. He simply doesn't provide that much, and he definitely doesn't fit on our current team.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

9. Shandon Anversen

do you really believe that? right now, and i mean RIGHT NOW, walt williams is a better starter than shandn.

shandn defense is more overrated than pat riley's coaching ability. i've rarely, rarely, rarely seen him "SHUT DOWN" a player. and have never seen him "OUTPLAY" a scorer.

look at it this way...

let's say you're playing against kobe. would you rather have:

KOBE v SHANDN:

kobe: 35 points
    shandn: 8 points (strictly on garbage points, since he's concentrating on D)

or

KOBE v WALT:

kobe: 40 points
    walt: 15 points (and spreads the defense)

or

KOBE v MOBLEY

kobe: 40 points
    mobley: 25-30 points (no so much worried about d, as much as cancelling kobe out)

the obvious preference for me is mobley, then walt. you see, you can't stop a true scorer. all you can do is try to cancel them out and not allow them to involve their teammates (which would get your teammates in trouble).

for all the famed defense he plays, shandn can't neutralize his opponent. he is a breather, at best.

------------------
    here's a verse:

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Hey Jr. don't you think you need more than 5 posts to start a thread [​IMG]

------------------

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You can't argue with someone who refuses to use logic.

12. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

You disagree with most of what Shandon AnVERSEon writes, yet you say "excellent post"? From my previous readings of this forum, I believe you are supporting your buddy Verse in this little ruse. [​IMG]

------------------

13. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Whats with these damn newbies misspelling names? Anversen???

[​IMG]

------------------
    "For there is nothing either good or bad, thinking makes it so."
    - William Shakespeare (1564-1616), Hamlet

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited July 06, 2001).]

14. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

Verse, let me stop you there. If the Rockets were committed to winning NOW, then SA would start at small forward. Eddie is 19 years old, and is not ready to start in the NBA yet.

------------------

15. The Cat

You disagree with most of what Shandon AnVERSEon writes, yet you say "excellent post"? From my previous readings of this forum, I believe you are supporting your buddy Verse in this little ruse.

Huh? I agree with most of what verse writes... he's probably the poster I agree with most when it comes to basketball.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

16. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

Verse's conclusion is that SA is at best a 11th or 12th man, and is a potential chemistry problem. From reading your post, I assumed that you disagreed with both points.

Shandon is a solid rotation player for 95% of the teams in the league, and there is zero evidence that SA is a trouble maker. Like most posters here, I don't think that SA fits the future of the Rockets, but he is still an excellent pro.

Also, I thought Anderson was easily a better defensive player than Mobley last year. For somebody playing out of position against arguably the best athletes in this world (NBA SFs), Shandon did an excellent job.

------------------

17. The Cat

Verse's conclusion is that SA is at best a 11th or 12th man, and is a potential chemistry problem. From reading your post, I assumed that you disagreed with both points.

Perhaps I disagree with the 11th or 12th man part, but I agree with almost all of his points about why Shandon is not near the player some perceive him to be and why he doesn't fit on this team. Rereading my post, I don't see how you could perceive me liking Shandon's game...

------------------

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

A bunch of rational stuff to respond to here:

So wanting to play more precludes you from being on the team? Kenny Thomas probably thinks he should get more minutes, he obviously doesn't fit. Mo Taylor averaged under 30 minutes a game for us. Do you think he's happy with that? Do you think he doesn't want to play more? If so, he obviously doesn't fit in here. Walt would like more minutes, too. He doesn't fit. I bet Collier and Langhi enjoyed warming the bench last year too. Hakeem didn't fit last year because he wanted more minutes. I didn't realize wanting to play meant you didn't fit in. New concept there.

Depends on whether or not you value defense, I would imagine.

Those are some interesting stats there, where did you pull those from?

LOL. Why even bother responding to that.

Yeah, you know Shandon, that big complainer. He's done it everywhere he's been. [​IMG]

Except for the two Finals teams he was on, I guess. [​IMG]

19. Shandon Anversen

what's up haven!!!

good to see you again [​IMG]

i'll respond to your challenge ASAP.

------------------
    here's a verse:

20. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

Actually, I perceived that Shandon AnVERSEson was posting with his tongue placed firmly in his cheek. In one thread he called David Robinson a bit##, and then he calls Shandon Anderson a "11th or 12th man". I thought you were just playing along.

I do agree with you about how SA fits, or does not fit, with this current team. I hope he lands in Chicago, where he can make some money and live in a great city.<font size=1 font color="white">

[This message has been edited by Kingrene (edited July 06, 2001).]