1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I had to draw my gun...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Nov 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

In my mind, I have never thought of shooting to kill. My main purpose is, if threatened, shoot to neutralize the threat. My best bet to neutalize the threat is aiming for center of mass and shoot until the threat is stopped and going down to the ground, watching to make sure the threat does not come back up.

2. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I think that sign means "guns to steal" to burglars.

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

For a thread that started out all Rambo, the estrogen sure started to flow! What's with all of the drama around here lately?

4. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Glad you're safe and glad you didn't have to resort to deadly force. Even if it's justified you'd never be the same again. It could haunt you forever.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, let's say you go out back with your Glock. There are these two guys who have been robbing cars on your street. They see you and you yell "freeze!" while pointing the gun at them. Then, they start hopping the fence to get away. Do you then shoot at them rather than let them go? And, if you get all bent out of shape with me asking the question, then why? It's a valid question. Are you going to be like the other guy who goes outside and shoots criminals instead of letting the cops handle it? Keep in mind that, even though their in your backyard (which they were just using as an escape route), the threat to you is not really there unless you stretch the thinking into "their next step is breaking into my house and possibily hurting me or my family" from "their breaking into cars on my street". Personally, I think the proper course of action would be to arm yourself, turn on your backyard lights (without going outside), call 911, and see what you can see...versus running out back with a Glock willing and ready to confront them. I just think there is a pattern with people who own guns and the risks they are willing to take because they are armed. I'm trying to figure out where you stand...since your brought it up.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

uh oh, watch out. he might put you on his ignore list for questioning him.

7. Falcons Talon

Thank you . You have helped me to realize where I did wrong. You are absolutely correct in that I should have stayed in the house with the doors locked to proctect my family. The minute I walked out the door, the house was no longer secure and I put them at risk of having my gun used against them. Now I can learn from this experience.

As for the situation for what it was, I would not have shot them. If I could have blocked their way, I would have, but I would not shoot them as they were jumping the fence. Like I said, only if they were threatening me or my own.

And thank you for not acting like a pompous jackass in the way you approched the question like that other dipsh*t did.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Trying to apprehend a guy is a bad move. Telling him to "freeze" is even dumber.

Defend your life and your property (at night) without taking any chances of risking your life.

FT:
    What are you gonna do, "bug in" everytime you hear a noise? :p Just check it out. I have to do this all the time with our dogs and horses. :mad: Although your neighbor probably thinks you are a loon now.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

whether you can read this or not, i'll just post it anyways.

the whole time in this thread you made it sound like you were ready to take the law into your own hands. that's quite hypocritical of you, especially when in the thread about keying cars you couldn't shut up about letting the proper authorities handle the situation. that's why i made that smartass remark.

obviously, you've had it in for me since that dry tumbling baby thread. why you've singled me out, i don't know. but you proceeded to call me a jackass and throw other insults at me simply b/c i made a comment about how you were going about detaining them.

i've never had a problem with any posters here, hell not even the titans/VY fans have felt the need to act like you have. i'm offering the olive branch once again just for good fellowship on this board.

if you continue to call me a dipsh!t, i'll know your answer.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I just don't know that many people good enough with a hand gun to shoot someone in the leg or other non vital body part during a real situation from any reasonable distance.

Most people have a hard enough time shooting in 6 inch groups from any distance.

11. Falcons Talon

I was on my way to checking it out until my neightbor rang my doorbell and told me he chased the thiefs into my back yard.

Now that I realize what I "should have done", I'll make sure not to make that mistake again.

12. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I forgot to ask...did your neighbor call the cops first before he chased them into your backyard ... if not then your neighbor is dumb :D

13. Falcons Talon

He said he did, and the cops did arrive and set up a perimeter within minutes.

14. Bandwagoner

OK. Are you referring to me telling you what to do?

Cause if so I kinda missed it?

15. aeroman10

Yeah thats true..it depends on the situation.
    If someone is threatening me on my property with something other than a gun and are not close to me yet then I would aim for a non vital body part first. If they have a gun...screw that...shoot at the attacker where ever and hope it hits.

16. Falcons Talon

No...I didn't mean to make it look like I was upset. I simply meant there was what I "did", and what I "should have done", and what I "should have done" was stay inside my secure home. Just conceding that the actions I took were wrong wrong wrong. Now I know better.

17. Bandwagoner

What is the advantage of shooting a leg? So they can suffer before they die. Or so they can stab you or grab your gun?

No warning shots, no leg shots. If you want to shoot, shoot to kill. A handgun is not a less-than-lethal weapon.

18. aeroman10

Do alot of people die from leg wounds?
    I am shooting with a 9mm not a canon.

19. aeroman10

Actually the neighbor is still dumb.
    If he called the cops then he should of just monitored the robbers and let the cops chase them instead of scaring them off and letting them go over the fence.

20. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

HAHAHAHA. LOL!!! I love Raninbow Six