1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I guess it is OPEN SEASON to kill black men in America...no one seems to care.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mr.Scarface, Dec 3, 2014.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He waived his arms around for 3 seconds. If you think that justifies slamming someone to the ground and squeezing their neck until life is removed from their body, you are a scumbag.

Perfectly suited for modern law enforcement culture today probably. You would fit right I side a police Union.

2. Nook

Nook Member

The officer used a banned choke hold and the man died as a result of it. There really isn’t much to discuss here. The officer did not follow proper protocol and should have been fired years ago and possibly faced criminal charges.

The man’s health is secondary because protocol was broken. Had the officer followed approved protocol and the suspect died during an appropriate arrest, then we could call it a terrible accident. That is not what happened.

rocketsjudoka and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Well there was the unfortunate incident up near dallas with the lady cop and civilian gentleman but other than that no huge stories that i recall recently.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. In any other job if you do something that isn’t approved policy and something bad happens the least you cAn expect is getting fired. If this was construction and he was welding in an unapproved manner and something went wrong resulting in deathwe would certainly expect the worker to get fired rather quickly.

Nook likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I brought this up years ago in this thread. The technique used is one I’m very familiar with, in fact someone tried a variation on me tonight at Judo practice. The choke itself isn’t designed to constrict air but construct blood to the brain when done properly. That said it can cause a lot of stress and damage to even young inshape people wearing Judo gi. Without the thick collar of a gi to apply it pressure would have to be maintained on the back of the neck potentially making the technique even more dangerous. Also in Judo we can tap out limiting danger. The officer keeps it on for several seconds even as Garner is already down and subdued. There is a reason why NYPD prohibit these techniques. It’s not like in the movies where LE is dealing with young people in shape but they have to deal with a whole range of people. Since we have an obesity epidemic it shouldn’t be surprising that LE frequently deal with obese people. Given that there already was an major numerical advantage of LE to garner it was very irresponsible of the officer to use this technique and he should’ve been fired long ago.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Oncee you have forced an officer to arrest you you need to accept being arrested and being cuffed.

There is no acceptable time to be physically defensive

You're out of your damn mind admitting he was being defensive and still claiming the cops shouldn't have been physical

#726 pgabriel, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Silent_Bob likes this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't have a problem with the officer being fired if it is deemed he used a banned move. I just have a problem with the media not being clear that it wasn't simply choking that killed Garner

Silent_Bob likes this.