1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I guess he did give a "flip" afterall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by drapg, Apr 14, 2003.

1. drapg

drapg Member

Williams leaving Kansas for UNC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Roy Williams, who coached Kansas to the Final Four four times in his 15 years with the Jayhawks, is heading home to take over the North Carolina basketball program, the Kansas City Star is reporting.

Williams met with his players for a half-hour Monday afternoon, emerging teary-eyed, but refused to reveal his decision.

"I know it's hard for you guys to understand," a choked-up Williams told reporters.

The Lawrence (Kan.) Journal-World and the university's student newspaper also reported that Williams is taking the Tar Heels job. A news conference is scheduled for tonight at 9:30 ET at the Smith Center, at which time Williams officially will be named North Carolina coach.

Williams, 52, lost last week to Syracuse in the national championship game. North Carolina, his alma mater, is seeking to replace Matt Doherty, who resigned shortly before the Final Four with three years left on his contract.

Williams was an assistant at North Carolina under Dean Smith and was also a candidate for the job three years ago, when Doherty was hired to replace Bill Guthridge.

The fastest coach in NCAA Division I history to win 400 games, Williams (418-101) has won nine conference championships at Kansas and took the Jayhawks to the past 14 NCAA tournaments.

Doherty went 53-43, missed the NCAA Tournament two years in a row, and alienated some of his players and North Carolina athletic department staff before being ousted more than a week ago.

On Wednesday, Kansas chancellor Robert Hemenway fired athletics director Al Bohl, whose relationship with Williams had been strained ever since Bohl was hired two years ago.

Bohl said that Williams orchestrated his dismissal, but Hemenway denied he fired Bohl to convince Williams to stay at Kansas. Hemenway added that Williams never indicated to him he wanted Bohl fired.

2. mduke

mduke Member

What a douchebag.

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

No shock here, but it really blows for Kansas, as they even fired their AD to get Roy to stay.

Looking on the bright side though, the big 12 got a little weaker.

4. mduke

mduke Member

Too bad the South is still hella hard though.

5. drapg

drapg Member

Yes the Big 12 did get weaker. But I see that as a negative.

I was looking forward to matching up against a Williams-led Jayhawks squad next season.

The better the competition in the Big 12, the better it is for the entire conference.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I think it's great for Roy Williams. This is what he wanted. Players leave coaches. Coaches leave players. I guess you guys are mad he's leaving the big12. But whoopy doo. It's not like Kansas isn't going to get a great coach to follow him. It's Kansas man. Conference USA is the conference who needs some serious help.

7. drapg

drapg Member

I wonder how the A.D. feels about this. I believe he got axed to get Williams to stay.

Now he's just left holding his dick.

8. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Thing is, it was mostly for Roy Williams, but he may well have been fired anyhow. As I understand, he didn't get along with a lot of people there, including the football coach.

Well, I wish Roy Williams well. I was hoping he'd stay at Kansas, but I'm sure he'll do just great at NC. It's pretty much where he wanted to be for some time. I heard something on 610 about the coach from Illinois going to Kansas if Roy Williams leaves. I think Kansas should try for Gonzaga's coach, Mark Fugh (spelling?).

9. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

No kidding. I can't believe others at Kansas didn't plan this better. They should have been sure Roy was staying before they kicked Bohl to the curb...

10. DVauthrin

I would agree with you that I want good competition in the big 12, but the conference is a top 3 conference in men's basketball even with his departure. Also, every conference needs its dregs of the world and the closest thing the big 12 has is the Aggies or the Kansas State Wildcats, and both of those teams would be solid teams in other less stacked conferences. And it's not like some good coach won't take over KU, because it should be a premier job in college basketball. So I doubt they drop off a whole lot in the long run if they bring in a good replacement.

As far as playing them next year goes, Kansas was going to fall off anyway, as they lost collison and hinrich. They would have still been good, but not as good as in years past.

The bottom line on my feeling is I feel for Kansas because of the lengths they went to get Roy to stay, but the big 12 was so loaded last year it wasn't even funny.

But I hope Quin Snyder enjoys all the pressure he will face this offseason and next year because I bet most people will pick Missouri to class the north next year.

The south is still unfair though as UT, OU, OSU, and Tech can all be tourney teams and Baylor and the Aggies have the talent to make an NIT run.

So it isn't like the conference won't still be a powerhouse next year and beyond.

11. DVauthrin

Btw,

Vengeance you were close.

Gonzaga's coach is Mark Few.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Although I go to OU, I think the Big XII is definitely now UT's to lose.

Man, that was hard to say. :)

13. mduke

mduke Member

I wouldn't go that far. I've heard from a few Texas people saying TJ might leave after all.....but I agree, with TJ they're no doubt the best team in the country.

14. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Think there is suppose to be a number of coaches moving now that Roy left, think Illinois coach is suppose to leave to go to kansas and Tom Crean from Marquette is suppose to go to Illionis