1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I finished my first movie!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by don grahamleone, Mar 21, 2008.

1. don grahamleone

Hello Clutchfans and friends,

I recently completed my first movie and I can't tell you how excited I am. I know it's not a blockbuster, but I think it's good and worth your time.

It's a full length feature documentary called "Are You My Brother". I'll put links below. I worked on this project for almost four years and I've finally completed it.

If you enjoy it, please pass it on. I've spent years and my bank account on this. All I ask is that you share it with friends and family if you like it.

Now, I didn't write this synopsis (someone I've never met before wrote this), but here's a synopsis of the movie:

----

Are You My Brother link created by Asad Asif

I recently saw a documentary on YouTube made by an American about his travels all over Pakistan alongside his good friend who is a Pakistani. This is an interesting documentary in the sense that I came to know about some things which were new and shocking to me. Examples of this include Pathan tribes originating from lost Jewish tribes and the concept of 'panah' [protection] which caused the Taliban's refusal to hand over Osama bin Laden to the USA after 9/11.

The American visitor even encountered ISI, the much feared Pakistani intelligence agency. He also got to meet some very popular singers like Junoon's Ali Azmat and various other actors and actresses. It also includes some nice songs and Pakistani cultural music.

The documentary gives an American perspective to certain issues. It reminds me of the perception of America and Americans in general as it was before 9/11. And that was very positive. But now times and circumstances are way different in a post-9/11 world.

Any way, without further delay, the links to each part of the documentary are given below. The documentary spans about one and a half hours long over fifteen parts. It is advised that if you do watch it, do so in one go.

Some portions are a bit repetitive but it is an interesting documentary, none the less!

----

And the links:

Are You My Brother (part one)
    Are You My Brother (part two)

Are You My Brother (part three)

Are You My Brother (part four)

Are You My Brother (part five)

Are You My Brother (part six)

Are You My Brother (part seven)

Are You My Brother (part eight)

Are You My Brother (part nine)

Are You My Brother (part ten)

Are You My Brother (part eleven)

Are You My Brother (part twelve)

Are You My Brother (part thirteen)

Are You My Brother (part fourteen)

Are You My Brother (part fifteen)

Enjoy.

2. orbb

orbb Member

I cant believe i watched it all at once. I doubt a reporter could have done a finer job .... very inspirational too. major props.

3. Mr. Brightside

I think I mentioned it once before in one of your other threads, but I know the main character Usman. He went by Mian Usman back then. I met him at school many years ago. Does he still play golf? He was pretty damn good from what I remember. He told me some pretty funny stories when he worked as a telemarketer and also his experiences driving in the USA with an international drivers license. Good times.

I've only watched a few of the clips so far, but will watch the rest later today.

4. giddyup

giddyup Member

Congratulations!!

I watched a couple of segments and look forward to the rest...

My 24YO son is an aspiring film-maker. He is currently active wait-listed (#4) at the film school at UT for the Fall of 2008.

Anyone know anything about those numbers.... they only take 12 into the class, I think.

5. MoBalls

MoBalls Member

So far so good...good stuff man, congrats.

6. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

so are there a lot of rockets fans in Pakistan?

7. pirc1

pirc1 Member

How long is the whole thing? Just give me a ball park figure.

8. don grahamleone

Thank you orbb. That's quite the compliment.

9. don grahamleone

Awesome! I hope he makes it. I went to UT as well, but I never went to film school. I learned by doing. I had a comedy TV show while I was in school and I think I learned more from that than anything.

My point is, if your son gets into the film school at UT, major props and congrats. But if he doesn't, that doesn't mean that he can't follow that dream. I did.

10. red

red Member

I watched half last night and will watch the other half tonight. Very well done. Entertaining and informative. Thank you.

11. don grahamleone

Well, in the summer of 2004 there was at least one.

I do remember seeing a lot of Bulls jerseys when I was there though.

12. don grahamleone

Ah, you worked with the great Mian M. Usman at the telemarketing place? Yeah, he was seriously entertaining while he was here. He loved being in the states.

I wonder if I ever met you? Did you ever go to parties with Usman?

13. Mr. Brightside

No, I never worked at the telemarketing place. I knew him, b/c he resided at Madison off campus housing and I was often there. He would tell me stories about his work and other crazy adventures. Never actually partied with him though. I went to watch a cricket match with some of his other buddies though one time.

14. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Member

Thats pretty interesting stuff! I'm halfway through it now..

thanks!

15. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Member

What did you shoot with and edit on?

16. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Member

i too am curious about the camera, and what editing software. and have you submitted it to any film festivals?

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I will watch them later on
    but
    I want to to say CONGRATS!
    and
    I want to appluad your tenacity and ability

No matter what it looks like. .. be proud!! You did the d*mn thing

Rocket River

18. don grahamleone

I shot the movie on two cameras. A Canon ZR70c (the low quality video) and a Canon XL1. I edited everything using the Final Cut Studio package. I used two separate versions of FCP (4.5 and 6.0)

Mr. Brightside, I lived at Madison too. I'm surprised I don't know who you are, but maybe I never met you.

Rodrick_98, I entered the movie into a couple of festivals a year ago, but got no reply. I don't know if I'm interested in that route any more. I don't know what festivals look for, but I don't feel like they're looking for my subject matter. In one festival, I got beat out by a documentary about a man who like to have sex with horses. You just can't compete with that.

19. Guru

Guru Member

Congratulations man!!! I started watching the parts and missed an apointment. :D I must say, being Pakistani myself (I was born there, moved out when I was 2, now only go back and visit once every 5-6 years), you made a very good movie and i hope people learn something from it.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Very good so far -- great work Don. :cool: