1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I feel bad for Arian Foster

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Sep 19, 2011.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

And for the record before Clutchfans takes what I says, spins it around and tosses it back as if it was some sort of fact.

I never said Tate was better, only that Foster needed to get healthy or he might lose his job.

Nothing prophetic about that, it happens all the time, and is still true, Foster needs to get healthy and play hard, everything is earned every day in football.

DD

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

And yet somehow you believe Vince Young should be a starting QB?

1 person likes this.
  3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

See Clutchfans, this is what I am talking about....switched around and tossed back....

No, I think Vince Young's head is screwed up, and until he gets that right, he has to ride that pine and earn his time.

DD

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I feel you, DD. I know you just hate all this attention....

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Ima,

I really like just talking sports, not all the personal bull****.....

DD

6. meh

meh Member

If Tate continues his play, I'm curious to see what the Texans do in the offseason. For those who say Tate can't replace Foster, I don't think that's the problem. What the Texans have to decide is if they want

A) Foster with a huge contract + Tate + mid-round pick on young talent
    B) Tate + mid-round pick at RB, give huge contract to a FA at another position.

I can see situation B arise if the Texans have a glaring hole elsewhere, the offensive line being dominant, or Tate looking just as good as Foster and they are confident in their RB-drafting skills. It would have nothing to do with Foster, but rather best allocation of resources given.

They may also decide to franchise Foster and trade him for a pick. If they can do that, they would be able to replace him on the cheap with a pick and instead spend money elsewhere.

7. MadMax

MadMax Member

agreed. the pats would let Arian walk. that's their M.O. that was how denver handled the RB position as well.

i'm not saying it's going to happen...but if he's injured throughout the year and Tate keeps doing what he's doing, i think it's in the realm of possibility.

8. emjohn

emjohn Member

We're getting awfully ahead of ourselves. Tate is dirt cheap - we're far away from this being an either/or situation.

Tate has not demonstrated he's on Foster's level, or even close. Don't be in such a hurry to toss away an elite back. The era of single feature back teams is gone. The shelf life of backs getting 250+ carries in a year is short - if you can cut down those carries with a second back, you do it.

As soon as Ward gets on his feet, jettison Slaton to the Chiefs for a pick.

Re: Slaton
    He was great his rookie year, one cut with explosiveness. He didn't get hurt - he spent the subsequent offseason putting on muscle which hampered his quickness....which hampered his confidence....which had him hesitating...which turned him into junk (that's without tossing in his sudden case of butterfingers). I think he's regained some of his old form, but he's still decidedly the 4th best back on the roster.

9. 2k_FaNaTiC

2k_FaNaTiC Rookie

I know what you guys are saying.. Lets not get ahead of ourselves with Tate but lets also give him some credit. The guy is playing like a beast.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

Maybe a reason they're being so conservative with Foster is because they really do fear that his price on the open market next year will not be worth it. And given the contracts just doled out to Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, and Jamaal Charles, they would be right.

Nonetheless, I still maintain Foster is a special back that we should make every effort to keep. I don't know what the range of a reasonable contract would be, but we need to make him a legitimate offer because there's a HUGE difference between a 1000-yd back and a 1600-yd back (2200 all purpose yards geez).

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

agreed...feel for Arian and he should not have been out there...

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I would much rather them pay Arian (unless they really believe the injuries concerns will be chronic) and see what kind of draft pick they could get for Tate if he continues to impress this year. Might could get a late first round for him.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Will you relax, I'm just messing with you.

Anyway, the only thing Tate has proved is that he's a very capable backup to Foster. He's had 2 great games, but let's not go Kelvin Cato on him just yet.

The fact that Foster hasn't demanded a contract negotiation after the year he had last year tells you a lot about him. We all know he's a different cat. Maybe he doesn't try to break the bank this offseason.

At any rate, I vote we worry about the offseason when the offseason gets here. Hopefully that's a little later than in years past...

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I think we should sit Arian until after we play Pittsburgh....Hopefully Ward comes back that game to take alot of the pressure off of Tate... Those LBs will be lickin their chops if only Tate and Slaton are available that game.... I honestly dont think we need him the next 2 games because frankly his presence probably wouldnt have dictated the outcome (W/L)...We gonna lose both of those games because they have too much speed at WR...

15. Nook

Nook Member

Foster is the better football player. Foster is an under-rated blocker that reads blitzes better, he is a stronger and more physical back as well.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, he did get hurt and it the type of injury (motor skill) that most likely he will never completely recover from. At best he will learn to compensate.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Foster is most definitely not more physical than Tate.

I'm shocked at how much people are undervaluing Tate's running ability.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Tate is more physical of a runner. Arian can be when he wants to, but he is so elusive, it's not needed. Another reason why his career will last longer.

Tate is not as good as Arian. Never will be in my opinion, but he is close. I'm happy we have both guys.

19. macalu

macalu Member

i would be all for giving Foster another week off. get that hammy 100%!

20. Raven

Raven Member

You absolutely keep bulldozer no matter how much it cost.