1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I feel [a little] bad for Paolo...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikenm268, Jun 24, 2022.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Magic definitely were Showcasing Jabari Smith like they really wanted him, in order for Houston Rockets to trade their picks, luckily the Rockets didn't fall for it.

The Great News is Paolo Banchero formed a Friendship with Rafael Stone, in a lunch meeting. Paolo has a Brother Bond with Jalen Green.

Maybe when Paolo Banchero is a Free Agent in 4 years. The Rockets will Welcome Him if he wants to go to Houston.

#81 rockets1995, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    D-rock, burlesk, Drift Monkey and 3 others like this.
  2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rafael Stone is such a great communicator, forms friendship real easily with anybody, Forms Trust and reliability.

House Gathering, Team Lunch. Forming Family Bonds. It is Awesome to see.

3. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

You can follow the paper trail with everything the Magic GM/FO did, Brought in Both Jabari and Chet same week a few days apart from each other, Jabari got the best treatment out of all three. They posted his full interview, work out and had all their young core show up for his work out and all of them went out to eat together, Nothing from Chet's workout or interview was posted. Jabari then goes out his way to refuse to work out with Houston has an interview saying he only seems himself top 2(I would guess the magic told him after the workout that it was a tie between him and Chet and if they take Chet OKC is most likely taking you) .

Magic FO/GM put it in Jabari's head that he should not work out for Houston because he is not going to be at #3. Rumors come out that Houston wants Paolo and he was their #1 the whole time(i am thinking the Magic FO put this out there), a week leading up to the draft the magic finally want to bring in Paolo(and he blows them off because why would you bring him in the last week when they most likely made up their mind?) Magic GM had an interview that week and a reporter asked him why Paolo is blowing you guys off and skipping workouts and he was PISSED OFF. I am thinking the Magic GM wanted to pull a " Danny Ainge" and try to get over on Stone but failed because Stone was just happy with Paolo or Jabari.

Also you can read between the lines with Paolo's and Jabari's interviews after being drafted and look at their faces. Paolo didn't think he had a shot at #1 and was pretty much happy with coming to Houston and when Magic picked him you could see how disappointed he was, and you can see how Pissed Jabari was going 3rd because magic promised him he was their guy or Chet. I know its popular to hate on Stone and our FO and have no faith in our Owner but the way the magic handled this whole thing was a very bad look.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

he finna bust, the tillmen won't want him

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

He was looking forward to hearing, "a-Paolo 5 has just landed in Houston!"

Drift Monkey, UTSA2step and Jontro like this.
  6. PatBev

PatBev Member

Can someone please do the Wolverine meme with Paolo’s head and looking at a picture of KPJ & Green together

that’s what he was really butt hurt about

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i just dont see how the magic benefits at all doing this. if paolo was their guy why not just tell them straight up. make him feel good and welcome before even drafting them.

all for "mind games"... but who knows, Woj says more FO's "respect" the magic more after this which is crazy to me.

8. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

WOJ is saving face for being wrong., not one FO respect what the magic did. It shows magic don't know what they're doing.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Either (1) the Magic was really good at fooling everybody, including the kids and the media like Woj, or (2) it's true that they changed their mind at the last minute.

If it's (1), then the question is, For what? To force the Rockets' hand? It backfired.
    If it's (2), then something is wrong with the FO. Probably some internal conflict in making the decision.

The only saving grace for them at this point is if Banchero turns out to be head and shoulder better than Smith, which is still possible.

D-rock and KingSamJack like this.
  10. conquistador#11

Always thought Rockets "revealing hand" early was done on purpose.

Drift Monkey and Easy like this.
  11. The geth & the reaper

I think this is what happened. Banchero was #1 on their board the whole time.

They brought Jabari and Chet for workouts for more intel on them and determine who they prefer of the two in case of a trade down. As time went on it was clear that Okc would take Chet no matter what and that Jabari would be available at 3. They had talk with the Rockets and tried to fleece them but the Rockets leaked that they’re fine with whoever falls at 3

The Magic went straight to trade down scenarios as soon as they got the 1st pick. It’s probably why we didn’t hear anything about Banchero at 1.

The media reports about the Magic zoning on Jabari was Jabari in trade down scenario at 3 not at 1.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  12. The geth & the reaper

To add to it, Magic tried to bring in Banchero once they realized Houston was not trading up and were staying pat at 3

burlesk and Drift Monkey like this.
  13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

When does his Rookie contract end? Who's to say he doesn't get sick of Orlando and bolts the second he can to play here!?

14. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Look you don't have to play mind games with the number 1 pick, draft who you think is BPA if Paolo was #1 on your board what is the point in trading down? The magic simply wanted to pull an "Danny Ainge" and it backfired because you pissed of jabari and his family and Paolo(who wanted to play in houston badly with Green and KPJ).

15. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

He stuck in Orlando for 8 years.

clos4life likes this.
  16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

ironically perhaps this works better for him in orlando because they actually do land shuttles there an hour away

clos4life and ApacheWarrior like this.
  17. The geth & the reaper

That’s what i said, my bad if it wasn’t clear enough. They went to work on trading down because they had the 3 players rated similar obviously they preferred Banchero but had Jabari rated just as good of a prospect, same with the Rockets they were happy to take any of the 3.

They weren’t playing mind games my guess is that focusing on Jabari at 3 in a trade down was what the media picked up on and interpreted that as Jabari being the number one pick, hence why the Rockets leaked that they were happy staying at 3 and picking whoever is left.

#97 The geth & the reaper, Jun 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

True, nice to see some got my joke.

Apollo
    a-Paolo

"Mission control Cape Canaveral"

"a Paolo-5.....you have permission to land."

D-rock likes this.
  19. i3artow i3aller