1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I don't think Marc Jackson is Restricted

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Sep 10, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I keep hearing all this stuff that Marc Jackson is a restricted free agent, just like Rashard Lewis and Cuttino Mobley were supposedly last year. I don't think this is true.

If it were true, we should be able to do a google search for

"marc jackson" "qualifying offer"

and find the press release for Golden State tendering him the offer. Restricted free agency does not happen automatically like some in the media assume....Team must exercise that right by submitting a Qualifying Offer by June 30th.

See how easy these searches are (using the quotes as provided):

"todd MacCulloch" "qualifying offer"
    "calvin booth" "qualifying offer"
    "ruben patterson" "qualifying offer"
    "Leon smith" "qualifying offer"
    "Lee Nailon" "qualifying offer"
    "Brad Miller" "qualifying offer"

Try it....cut and paste those into google.

They all have many hits, and several links to press releases describing the qualifying offer. Why would Marc Jackon not have a press release?

Lewis and Mobley have no mention of Qualifying Offers...and I don't think Marc Jackson does either. The cut off date for tendering a Qualifying Offer was June 30th. Can anyone find proof that it ever happened?

<b>Found another one, Brad Miller.</b>

#1 heypartner, Sep 10, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2001
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I will say that I did some poking around and have not found evidence to make crispee look like an idiot; that is, that says that Jackson is a restricted FA. I didn't bother with the Google search since crisp's already done it, I assume. I did look at some archived wire service stuff and couldn't find anything.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It was in question as his first 2 years were overseas, and his rights were acquired before the latest CBA.

I may be wrong, but I think that the arbitrator ruled in his favor, and he is an unrestricted FA.

DaDakota

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

That's interesting, but didn't I hear Swopa and someone else talking about how Golden State were lowballing Marc Jackson? They would have had to make some kind of offer for him to be lowballed. But who knows!

5. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

(**tasteless joke edited out of existence**)

You have to understand, I've watched about 50 Warriors games in person the last two years ... my standards for what's too disgusting to be displayed publicly aren't the same as most people's ... :)

#5 Swopa, Sep 10, 2001
  6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

That's gross.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Maybe I can prove Cris Pee is not an idiot further or maybe even that something goofy is going on.

After a bit of searching, the following is a quote from the San Francisco Chronicle's Warrior Notebook dated August 24, 2001. The article is by Tony Cooper and entitled "Trio of post players drawing rave reviews" :

So um, he's a restricted free agent and has yet to receive a qualifying offer from Golden State. Did somebody change the rules regarding restricted free agency?

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The following article seems to imply that the NBA announced that Jackson would be a restricted free agent (unconditionally?!) :

9. heypartner

DoD...your second article is Jan 20th, 2001. That article is incorrect if it says he is a restricted free agent, because he cannot be free agent (restricted or not) until after the season is over.

Your article on Aug 24th clearly states he has received no qualifying offer. Maybe they meant "offer sheet." Just another sign of media mixing up stuff. The Qualifying Offer must be tendered on June 30th. None of this is confirmation, just a bunch of continued questions, as I'm raising.

btw: does anyone think that an Offer Sheet can be used as leverage by the player to force a contract length they want. I do not believe the ROFR allows for any principle term to be changed: both salary and contract length. An Offer Sheet is not a bluff...it is a real, signed, and binding ultimatum.

So, maybe Jackson could sign a 6yr with someone that GS doesn't really want to match based on length. Is a bluff going to get it done with GS, or is a signed ultimatum better?

This point is that...sure you can match the salary....but do you always want to match the length? I don't know....just trying to understand why someone might not do a Qualifying Offer.

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ESPN lists him as a restricted...but this has no analysis or anything.

Actually, there are many sites that say that, with noexplanation.

I thought this was an interesting article, though, despite being old.

Here is the official CBA wording, by the way:
    (a) From the day following a Season covered by a Fourth Year Option through the immediately following June 30, the player’s Team may make a Qualifying Offer to the player covered by such Option. If such a Qualifying Offer is made, then, on the July 1 following the Season covered by the player’s Fourth Year Option, the player shall become a Restricted Free Agent, subject to a Right of First Refusal in favor of the Team ("ROFR Team"), as set forth in Section 6 below. If such a Qualifying Offer is not made, then the player shall become an Unrestricted Free Agent on such July 1.

So, yes, there is info about him being a restricted FA, that the Warriors need to make a qualifying offer by June (Stern allowed present rules, instead of those when he was drafted, apply), etc...but there is nothing I can find to show any kind of offer.

Hmmmm.

11. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Crispee,

That's an interesting thought.

If we assume for a moment that the Rockets will get the medical exception, then it would make sense for the Rockets to offer Jackson a 5-6 year offer starting at about $1-2 mill, with a player option after the 2nd or 3rd year & a team option after the 4th or 5th year (assuming that the CBA allows both options to be included). The only question is, would Jackson take the deal?

That might at least force Golden State to make a decision & if we offered GS some compensation, in the form of a #1 pick or a Walt for Sura type trade, then GS might not match the offer. Hmmmm....

12. heypartner

Hottoddie,

Well, Offer Sheets aren't official until signed by the player and offering team, then they are binding and can't be retracted unless all 3 parties agree to drop the offer. It's not like we can force GS to deal with our offer unilaterally without Jackson's consent, nor can Jackson use us and retract the Offer Sheet without our consent.

All I'm saying is why would a team want to put contract length under control of a possible Offer Sheet? Why not just negotiate in an unrestricted manner, and negotiate with the player to choose your salary and contract length, rather than possibly having to match both on his terms?

It is either something like that or the press releases never surfaced anywhere for the most talked about "restricted free agents" of the last two summers. Oh well.

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

or maybe golden state just screwed up and thought that the nba's ruling was sufficient. Perhaps they're hiding under that misconception right now.

Or they're merely waiting Marc Jackson's situation out, under your ideas crispee.

btw swopa, sorry to encourage you to edit your post. :)

14. Swopa

This update may answer a lot of the above questions:

"They've been avoiding our calls," said Jackson, who averaged 13.2 points and 7.5 rebounds per game for the Warriors last season. "It's obvious they don't want me there. They haven't been returning calls from other teams, either, about what they're (the Warriors) willing to do and not do. Since Day 1, they haven't wanted to talk to us." [. . .]

St. Jean has acknowledged that the Warriors have kept quiet with regard to what they're willing to match or even if they would match an offer at all. But he said that is the standard M.O. when it comes to dealing with your own restricted free agent. [. . .]

"I'm not going to sit here and say anything bad about the Warriors," said Jackson, who finished third in the Rookie of the Year voting last year. "They came in with a strategy and we came in with a strategy and theirs is working. Whether it was because of this or that or whatever, their strategy has been better than ours. I can't be mad at them. It's a business."

P.S. No problem, Achebe. I only planned to leave it up for a little while anyway. Better to let people imagine their own jokes. :)

15. heypartner

Swopa,

You really should make that a separate post. That is good info.

As for the technicalities of saying he is a restricted agent, I still only see a writer's paraprasing. There are no quotes that say anything about "matching" or "restricted free agent." The quotes really are the same an unrestricted free agent would say. The main reason I still question this is the writer mentions an impending Luxury Tax when Larry Coon has written that preliminary calculations are that there will be none. The luxury tax is no more for certain that Jackson restricted free agency, imo. We are still left believing this writer paraphrasing with no quotes and no press releases announcing a Qualifying Offer.

btw: this is in direct disagreement with DoD's article from the San Francisco Chronicle.
    Plus there is absolutely no proof that the Rockets "balked signing Jackson to an offer sheet." Where does that come from?

If you tell me that you've heard the GM or Agent say anthing like this on the news....I'd believe your word over your article when pitted against DoD's from Aug 24th. Really, without agent or GM quotes, I'm not believing the beat writers, because they are contradicting themselves and Larry Coon. The only way to really tell is whether Jackson signs with another team without an Offer Sheet happening.

Plus, I don't really buy this whole "Part of the reason for that, according to Jackson, is that teams don't want to spend time negotiating with him, then have the Warriors simply match the offer." Seattle signed Calvin Booth to an Offer Sheet representing more than GS could spend on Jackson. Portland signed an Offer Sheet with Ruben Patterson. What does "wasting time" mean?

btw: notice the 6-yr contract Jackson wants. I am still skeptical that GS just doesn't want ANY 6-yr deal and doesn't want an Offer Sheet to force that.

This is great info though. I am indeed claiming possible error on the beat writer. I still favor the press releases from the NBA regarding Qualifying Offers over this beat writer's paraphrasing. Who care though. Thx for the post.

#15 heypartner, Sep 11, 2001
  16. fly75

fly75 Member

Run a Google search on "Evan Eschmeyer" and "qualifying offer"

If Eschmeyer was an unrestricted free agent, why did Dallas have to wait 15 days before his contract offer became binding? Yet, you won't find any press releases about the Nets making qualifying offers to Eschmeyer.

Sonics made Rashard Lewis a restricted free agent (as was widely reported, even if the tender of the qualifying offer was not), and then signed him to a 2 year contract using the "early qualifying veteran" exception. Why 2 years, when it could have been as many as 6 years using that exception, unless both parties agreed to it as a compromise. And since qualifying offers are only one year deals, and the Sonics didn't match an offer sheet from another team, that means the Sonics were not restricted to making only a qualifying offer - they were free to negotiate whatever deal they were allowed to offer Lewis.

Invoking restricted free agency gives the team a stronger bargaining position.

17. heypartner

Good Find....I can't find a press release for Eschmeyer, either. Who is he anyhow....lol.

btw: qualifying offers are only for one yr for rookie scale guys in the 5th yr. Others can be longer; see Lee Nailon and Leon Smith.

Yes, I understand the Sonics were free to negotiate any deal (restricted or not), and I agree that it looks like a compromise on length, so he can establish Full Bird rights the fastest. That is what many of us expected Cuttino to do. But it is quite a stretch to think the compromise was known before June 30th, because it is illegal for them to talk to Rashard Lewis before the deadline for making a qualifying offer.

So, what do you make of DoD's find by the San Francisco Chronicle guy saying GS never made a qualifying offer?

Basically, what we have here is the Eschmeyer example...there is probably others. But maybe there are many examples the other way where no offer sheets where giving to player moving teams that were supposed to be restricted. You do know every 2nd draft pick qualifies for restricted free agent. I'm sure we are talking about a dozen or more we haven't even looked at, yet.

The point is: Restriction might not always put you in a better bargaining position if you have concerns about contract length. Depends what your bargaining strategy is to consider if you have a better position. I could be totally wrong about Marc Jackson, but I still can see a reason why a team won't restrict automatically.

I do appreciate everyone doing searches. thx

18. Swopa

He said Jackson hadn't gotten "a qualifying offer from anyone," which suggests he didn't understand the CBA meaning of "qualifying offer."

BTW, he's only been the Warriors beat writer for the Chronicle since the end of the season. Never even heard of him before then.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The article states he will be a free agent. So what I'm saying is perhaps there was some ruling in this case or some rule we don't know about that automatically(?) made him a restricted free agent at the end of the season due to the NBA's ruling, and for whatever reason the Warriors didn't have to extend that first offer.

I've even seen quotes with the Warriors' management saying that they would wait it out and let the "free market" dictate Jackson's worth. This, to me, implies no offer was extended.

Again, my point in all this is that maybe there are rules that we don't know about or this is one situation in which we have a ruling by the NBA that automatically made him a restricted free agent that didn't require any initial offer on the Warriors' part.

I don't know.