1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I don't care if he's all but done, I want Bob Sanders

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Feb 18, 2011.

1. emjohn

emjohn Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6135553

Even if he can't stay on the field for the entire season, I still try hard to sign him. One of the big reasons our defense has been a major failboat is the refusal to bring in established vets for leadership.

Who better to mentor the secondary than a former Pro-Bowler who faced Peyton Manning every day in practice for 6 (5) years? If you're serious about bettering the team, you have to be on the phone immediately.

Eugene Wilson needs to be gone no matter what, and I'll take my chances that Sanders can contribute at a higher level (injuries have been upper body, while Wilson has lost step after step).

I'm satisfied with Sanders/Nolan penciled in as our FS.

1 person likes this.
  2. ThaShark316_28

Lock and ban.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

"Can't stay on the field" is a MASSIVE understatement. I'm a MAJOR proponent for bringing in veteran leadership because I think that's the one thing that is SORELY lacking in this organization, from the top down, but I think this is one of the few times where I would pass. This guy has only played more than SIX GAMES in something like 2 of his 7 seasons. That's INSANELY injury-prone, and a giant waste of a roster spot in my opinion. We would be better served bringing in somebody who can at least PRODUCE. I just don't think he would impact this team on any level other than constant frustration by his lack of playing time.

1 person likes this.
  4. msn

msn Member

I'm with you, if he'll sign on the cheap.

It's probably something that's not done, but I think it'd be great if he signed a multi-tiered incentive contract: $1MM guaranteed, $2.5MM if he plays 8 games, $5MM if he plays 15 games, $8MM if he makes the pro bowl. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Do not want. Ahman Green all over again.

6. emjohn

emjohn Member

If it were a constant stream of knee/ankle issues or blowing his Achilles, than I'm nowhere near as interested.

But torn biceps (left, then right arm)? Crazy, but I'm willing to take a flier on him. It's not like he's going to command $6M.

Pencil Nolan in as starter and him as back up. At absolute worst, he won't be anymore a waste than Wilson.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

I second.

the number of games he's played in each of his seasons.

he is worth a gamble for a team with a good secondary already in place. For a horrid secondary, he is not worth the price.

1 person likes this.
  8. DieHard Rocket

If they gave him the contract Ahman got, Rick Smith should be fired on the spot.

I really don't mind giving him a minimum/incentive deal. We might get half a season out of him if we're extremely lucky, and half a season of Bob Sanders + Troy Nolan is better than a full season of Eugene Wilson.

1 person likes this.
  9. msn

msn Member

This.

10. emjohn

emjohn Member

What price?

I'm figuring the absolute ceiling on a deal would be $3M.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

I think he's a giant waste of time and money, a poor man's Tony Boseli - total fool's gold.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

i meant to say he isnt the cost...no matter how low it is. It is simply too risky for this team. Like i said, it's a risk the texans can't afford to take.

13. msn

msn Member

So, if the Texans get him for a dollar and ninety-nine cents, they can't afford that?

If dude would sign for $1 million, that's an excellent gamble. This isn't like Ahman Green, where we pay him like a franchise player. Nor is it comparable to the Bocelli situation, where we have *nothing* and people are hoping we can build around him.

If dude wants like $4MM or more, than yeah that'd be foolish. But no one here is proposing that.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

This team simply does not have the depth and roster spots available to take a flier on such a risky player. The last thing this team needs to do is sink a single penny into a non-productive, injury-prone player in the secondary.....they need their secondary spots to go to productive players on the field, plain and simple.

15. DieHard Rocket

Come on. Since when are we so stacked with depth that we can't afford to cut one of our stellar DB's to make room for him?

If he gets hurt, stick him on IR and sign someone else. If he sucks in camp, don't give him roster spot. It's really not that big of a deal as long as we don't guarantee him any big money. At this point, our secondary is so bad that we really have nothing to lose. Low risk for potentially high reward.

16. MadMax

MadMax Member

They're going to start off the season limiting him to 15 mpg.

3 people like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

If they don't have depth, they have roster spots. If they don't have roster spots, they have depth. Which is it?

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

l...m.....a........o? :(

19. msn

msn Member

hah!! I repped it! :grin:

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

For me, money is irrelevant; it's all about roster allocation. If you (moronically) sign him with any designs of starting, and pay him accordingly, it likely means you're not going to bring in a comparable-level "plan b". If he's strictly seen a cheap back-up you want to take a flier on, then he's wasting a space because not only is he a back-up at a position that can only play one guy at a time, he can't play special teams, either.

If he wasn't chronically injured, yeah, sure. But the guy has started 9 games in 3 seasons and turns 30 this year. To even remotely hope he's going to suddenly get healthy is silly.

Now, the idea of possibly having some Manning insight is interesting - but I'd offer him a staff position for that.