1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

I do not think Yao is good and I will tell you why in this thread that I have made

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pass 1st shoot 2nd, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Clove,

Yao and Shaq cannot be compared right now. Shaq's game has declined a lot. Yao's game is supposed to be growing. But Shaq - in his 12th season, still fat as hell and injured a lot - is still out producing Yao-Wow! Ming. Go figure.

So to answer your question, Yao is about 2 pts. shy of being as good as a 12th yr. veteran on the decline.

-P1st, S2nd.

2. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

But this 12th yr veteran on the decline is still a top 5 player in the league. He as well as Wade's improvement transform Heats to be a contender.

3. clove

clove Contributing Member

P1st, S2nd.

It seems to me that you don't think Yao is as bad as you made him out to be in your posts. I guess it's your way of showing frustration about Yao not meeting your expectations. That's cool, we all have our styles.

4. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

I don't know, I think we need to rewind a little here. The hype surrounding Shaq when he was coming out of college was HUGE, the expectations in Shaq's first year were high- much more across the board. Whereas when Yao was a rookie, the reactions were mixed if anything. Very few said dominant, some said bust, most said project. Hell, there was doubt if Yao was even going to go number one.

If I recall correctly, there were very few detractors of Shaq's success in the NBA.

Stuart

5. clove

Yao's game is growing.

It's a fact that Shaq is a "12th yr. veteran on the decline", but if you just see him as that, that's cool. There are about 29 teams in the league that would love that particular "12th yr. veteran on the decline."

Yeah, if you see shaq as 2 pts away from sucking, you have every right to bash Yao.

6. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Clove,

We concur. You are correct on that point. But I think anybody that fails to reach their full potential sucks and is a loser. I follow that line of thinking in my personal and professional life. Yao, apparently, hasn't taken that concept to heart, which is my point in this thread any my other "there's no Wow! in Yao" posts.

-P1st, S2nd.

7. clove

I see where you are coming from.

8. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

How is my opinion getting challenged? As posted in other threads, I've thought that Yao was a underachieving player so far, whether due to some things in his control (letting Chinese officials dictate his offseason) and somethings not in his control (refs calling touch fouls). I merely pointed out your contradicting posts where you first say you haven't watched too many Rox games, then in the next breath you tell us to watch more Rox games.

As for Penny and Shaq, I didn't say they weren't light years better than Yao and TMac, I simply said that we should be aiming higher than a team that got swept in the finals. Yes the pai was very sucessful, but championship wise, they were not. If you're happy with our duo going for 55 plus every night and getting swept in the finals, hooray for you. I would much more prefer the duo think about bringing some championships home.