1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I didn't know what it was!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 24, 2015.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I've heard mehndi used in marriage setting, maybe thats what its called when its used in the ceremony.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's a cultural thing. It is used in religious settings. It is also used for national events and other things (like family events) across the Indian subcontinent. Mehndi is the Hindi/Urdu word used to describe it.

"A mehndi" is also the informal name of a specific wedding ceremony used in various places on the Indian subcontinent that occurs a couple of days before the actual wedding. Not surprisingly this event is traditionally women only and characterized by putting mehndi on hands and singing songs.

Henna is also used in some other cultures. For example some Irani people I have known use it for wedding ceremonies. Certain Arab cultures use it as well, but it's not as predominant nor is it a true ancient tradition as its use on the Indian subcontinent is.

Since you avoided the question, I'll ask again. If it is "religious" as you claim (with no knowledge to back it up) why do both Hindus and Muslims use it?

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. It's ill fitting to be so adamant of your conviction when you have so little knowledge of the subject matter. Just admit you're clueless about this topic and let it go instead of making assertions that are just wrong.

#83 DudeWah, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

So let me just put an end to this. Henna is cultural. Plain and simple. My family is Bengali Muslim and every damn wedding I've ever been to, henna was part of the festivities for the girls... every damn one. Last time I checked, my family isn't Hindu.

Let's just put it this way. Every cultural practice may have some roots in religious tradition and vise versa. Christmas is more religious than the use of henna even though Christmas is becoming more and more a cultural tradition. Using Cohete Rojo's logic, my Hindu American friends who have a Christmas tree in their living room are celebrating the birth of their lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Why are you so sensitive. It was a general post that wasn't particularly directed at you.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

I love the double standard going on here. Ok, you guys win. While I never said this art has non-religious connotations, y'all some how seem to have developed this straw man and ran with it. Congratulations, you win the internet.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Then what exactly is your argument? :confused:

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

No there are no straw men. You tried to claim it is a religious thing as if that was the sole purpose of it.

You were wrong. At least you've admitted it.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

You're really missing the whole point. Whether its for religious or cultural is irrelevant.

1. A teacher should never touch a kid unnecessarily
    2. A teacher should never mark a kid, regardless if its with something that can be washed away instantaneously
    3. A teacher should never mark a kid, especially if its extremely difficult to remove.
    4. A teacher should never mark a kid with any symbols, regardless of the intent.

I am not sure why people are attacking the mother. Could you imagine the uproar if teachers wrote "Merry Christmas" with henna on all the kids? Lawsuits would be out the roof.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Where did those 4 rules come from?

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They came out of his ass per his usual.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Some parents really should just home-school their children, or send their kids to school in full-body condoms, ear plugs and blindfolds. Next we know, a teacher should also never speak to a kid unless necessary.

If a 7-year-old is gonna get permanently scarred by some flowers drawn on her hand, it's not really the school that's causing the harm.

Bottom line: Whatever one things of henna or the right for parents to grant permission/object to henna drawn on a child, the school in this case did provide the parents notice and opportunity to object. The parent here did receive the notice and did not object. I doubt that a court is going to rule against the school if this gets into litigation.

This probably won't get much further than a local news story.

#92 Carl Herrera, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine if I told you that eggs were religious to Christians because they are used in Easter Egg hunts? That's how stupid you are sounding right now.

1 person likes this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

You agree stickers mark a kid?

What does a flower symbolize?

15. Classic

Classic Member

says the hypersensitive cultural warrior

how do you feel about children saying "One nation under God" in the pledge of a.?

the hypocrisy in this forum is nothing but entertainment. thanks guys

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

No, a teacher shouldn't put a sticker, or anything, on a kids skin. Not a hard concept, brah.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Heard it said many times in school, didn't hurt me. Don't think that school should officially something that is explicitly religious in nature-- which henna isn't. It's not like that the school made the students pledge allegiance to Ganesha.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

stop being such a puss. Parents like that are so ****ing annoying.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

Some Fox watching cultural warrior decides to make a stink about a henna tatoo on their kid, mistaking it for a muzlim terrorist mark and hoping to add to winger complaints about libtard schools. Yawn.

20. BamBam

BamBam Member

Fact: Tattoos are fairly coommon and accepted in our society.

Having pointed out the obvious I would be furious if either of my kids came home from school with a henna tattoo! Regardless if they were done to teach religious or culural diversity or that these tatts are temporary and may come off fairly easily! I don't condone ANY tattoos on my kids!. When they are of age and out of my house they can do as they please. I just hope that they choose to follow what I have taught them.

IF a note was sent to the parent expressing specifically that their child would recieve a henna tattoo and they signed it then it's nobody's fault but their own! BUT if it wasn't specifically expressed and they signed it they should be furious! You don't have to get a henna tattoo to learn about a culture!

FYI, I have a tatt that's over 30yrs old! :eek: