1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I didn't know what it was!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 24, 2015.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

I don't care about all the issues with this story, but how ****ing stupid do you have to be to not know what a henna tattoo is?

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

You mean a Mehndi tattoo, and why does not knowing imply stupidity?

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This war on Christmas is outrageous. How dare these schools try to expose our kids to different cultures and traditions.

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

“It's upsetting to go through Christmas with another religion's celebratory symbolism all over my daughter's hands,” Tammy Samour told KHOU, noting that the removable dye is used in Hindu and Islamic tradition.

5. London'sBurning

Stop bringing facts into this libtard!

6. Classic

Classic Member

The multiculturalism of this is pretty alright but if the school didn't do more than send a note (like provide pictures of the artwork) then I could see how she is upset. I'd be pissed if my kid came home tatt'ed up and I wasn't expecting it. Now would I report this to the news and look like a bigot wanting a pay out? Nope.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

So you have no idea what the note said? You're jumping to conclusions. As others mentioned, teachers should not be touching kids if its unnecessary, regardless of a note.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No sure why you quoted me. I was giving my opinion to another poster that it would not matter to me what the henna tattoo was.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Can you please point me to the link where it actually says there was a note to sign and the mother actually signed the note granting permission for them to place a henna design on her child.

When I was in school and my kids were in school, if a note was not signed, it was the same as not giving permission.

10. Major

Major Member

I'm pretty sure schools in Texas have the right to use corporal punishment on your children unless you sign a note opting out rather than opting in. Seems like drawing on a child is less invasive than hitting one.

Do we require permission slips when kids play with watercolors or markers or do science projects or go out and play kickball in recess? All of those could leave marks or result in injuries or whatnot.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You're wrong. It's relevant to the mom apparently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ol-multicultural-activity-week-Christmas.html

12. heypartner

heypartner Member

I'm fine her wanting to tell the school it is not OK to do that -- what were they thinking
    I'm not fine her apparently calling KHOU to make a big scene -- shut.up

melodramatic crap that passes as nightly local news to spread all over the world via the internet and dailymail.co.uk

This r e a l l y pisses me off. I'm so furious.

#FAUXRAGE!

1 person likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

I am a Hindu - Henna is not religious in any way - it's actually just celebratory and festive - it's beautiful and ancient. There is no reason to fear it.

The irony of this whole thing is that the school is trying to eradicate the very ignorance the mother is demonstrating here. It's a shame she wouldn't at least try to understand that Henna is actually used to celebrate Christmas by Christians in India.

#53 Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

suburb mom would go insane on her daughter for drawing on herself before Christmas. A school did it and she is also furious. ITT she is called racist.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Total BS.

You wouldn't react this way if they had face painting day - and face paint can ignite allergies, can be harmful if they're of ****ty quality, etc.

It never enters the skin, it's 100% topical, non-religious and not even specific to India. Washes off with lemon btw.

If you didn't know all this before making a judgement, it's ok to say you didn't know about it and felt uncomfortable or worried about it. But to now know what it is and still act like some special attention needs to be paid to it is so ignorant and childish.

It's amazing these kids were just enjoying some temporary paint on their hands from a fun arts and crafts class meanwhile the parents have now indoctrinated all the kids in that school about this harmless thing lol. Uncivilized.

#55 Mathloom, Dec 25, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

It takes a 5 second Google search to find out how to remove henna, and then an additional 200 seconds to remove the hena using dangerous household cleaners shuch as Lemon Jiuce. Stfu. This b**** was easily irked and is a microcosm of the safe space evengelical right who believes their privilege is the same as natural rights.

17. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

Maybe even regular literacy. This lady is the conservative version of the liberal social justice warrior. Someone needs to tell all these people to lighten up.

18. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

It certainly is religious. It may be festive and celebratory, but it is religious. And nobody fears Mehndi art - nice straw man.

Merry Christmas.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

No - Just an overall life literacy

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know where you get it is religious. I think you are very poorly informed.

And when people freak out about it - and make assumptions about something they don't understand - yes, that is the definition of fear. This woman is clearly afraid of things she doesn't understand.