1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I didn't know what it was!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 24, 2015.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

The girl is 7, the school should have required the parents permission before painting on her child.

The mother isn't attacking the religion, she is just saying she is upset that her daughter now has paint all over her hands that can't be washed off.

If she would have brought home Krishna cookies, I doubt the mother would have been upset.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No....it was stupid of the school to apply henna tattoos to the kids. Sure, they sent a note, but before applying ANYTHING to a child a signed permission slip should be a requirement.

The mother has every right to be upset.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Lol. Read the description on the first link. The henna flower is a design, the art itself is known also as Mehndi.

EDIT: why do you bother? Good question, because you reposted this story which I would like to use as an example of why clarification is needed when dealing with these subjects. Again, henna can also refer to a specific design and not the art itself. Read the wiki page and it is not until half way through the page that any mention of body art appears.

4. dharocks

dharocks Member

It's cute how conservatives cherrypick what constitutes the 'pussification of America'.

What a trivial thing to get upset about.

5. ipaman

ipaman Member

this has nothing to do with PC or religion or any other bull*hit. my only conclusion to the folks that say it's not a big deal is they don't have kids. good parents know better.

6. bobrek

I would be incredibly upset if a school painted my child with anything that was not immediately washable without my signed consent, especially at the time of year when numerous photos are taken. I'd be just as upset if it were a Nativity scene as I would be if it were the Star of David or some Hindu symbol.

7. dharocks

dharocks Member

Can you guys actually articulate why it would cause such a violent reaction? If the kid doesn't mind, if it's temporary, what's the big freaking deal? Because... Christmas photos? You honestly think it's going to ruin the Christmas photos, or really have any serious effect whatsoever? That's what you're worried about? What the 7-year-old's hands look like?

Please explain to me why, in both the grand and small scheme of things, this isn't a completely trivial thing to freak out over.

8. bobrek

First....do not paint anything on my child without my permission that is not immediately washable.

Yes...it could ruin any photos or cause unnecessary distractions.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY, my child could be allergic or sensitive to whatever they are using to paint.

If you want to put anything on my child's skin, a signed permission slip should be a requirement.

9. ipaman

ipaman Member

all of this (especially medical) but it's also the principal of the matter. how hard is it to teach but not touch kids?

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

What was violent? Did i miss something?

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Safe space Christian p*****s.

12. Commodore

Commodore Member

sounds like the mom is upset they marked up her daughter without permission

that it was a religious/foreign thing is irrelevant

13. ipaman

ipaman Member

ignorant libtards labeling me and opposing views as christian p*****s when i'm atheist. cream of the crop!!!

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I remember being in elementary school and getting temporary tattoos at fall festivals and other celebrations. Heck, my church did that.

Same some of the outrage folks

15. ipaman

ipaman Member

your parents didn't love you :p

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I'm referring to the lady not you. Mind your business. Go run to our own safe space.

I remember during every Christmas season when I was in elementary school in Sugar Land, we would have Christmas parties and I would come home with all sorts of Christmas themed goodies even GASP reindeer and Santa temp tatoos.

My Muslim mother didn't b**** once. She had better things to do with her life.

I'm sorry, but if you have nothing better to do than go to the media about your 'outrrage' because your daughter came home with floral decorations on her hands made from a plant extract, you live a worthless life. If you have that much time on your hands Ms. Suburban stay at home mom, maybe it's time to redierict your outrage to a ****ing job.

#36 fchowd0311, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

The facts of the matters are:

1) The school DID ask for permission-- that's what the note was for. If this note looks like other school notes I've seen, the note tells parents how to reach out to the schools if they have any objections or it contains an actual place for the parents to sign.

2) The mother in this case DID see the note, and either signed the note or did not object to it using the means provided on the note. The mother's issue was that she did not understand the meaning of the word "henna" on the note, which she could have easily taken a couple of minutes, if not a few seconds to looked up and which a reasonably intelligent parent would have especially if she is so sensitive about her kids being taught about other cultures and religions.

The school provided a reasonable amount of notice and opportunity for parents to object, and the notice was received by this mother and she did not voice an objection and did not bother to look up what it was that she wasn't objecting to. There is nothing sneaky on the part of the school. The mother was just ignorant of the meaning of a fairly commonly used word and too damn lazy to bother looking it up.

The whole "signature" business is fairly meaningless here. A signature's purpose is to ensure that the parents actually read the note, and in this case the mother actually read the note.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

“It's upsetting to go through Christmas with another religion's celebratory symbolism all over my daughter's hands,” Tammy Samour told KHOU, noting that the removable dye is used in Hindu and Islamic tradition.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

It took me a 5 second Google search to find out how to remove henna immediately without waiting for it to naturally wear off.

This lady is just looking for attention and has nothing better to do with her life.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

So, fundamentally, the mother's problem is a lack of internet literacy?