1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I.D.I.O.T.] Jabari Smith Jr is the Real Head Honcho™

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 5, 2023.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

Yeah I am starting to get a bit worried about Green he still does not have any consistency and seems to be forcing things lately.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Did you really just respond to a super long post with "Look at the highlights of this one game where he scored 28 points!!"? lol

And do you also really not think Bradley Beal had some amazing games his sophomore year? Cause he did.

Or do they only count if they're in the garden??

Yung-T and jiggyfly like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Shooting consistency is not something that is end of the world for a 20-21 year old sophomore.

What's promising is that he can a least get to the line consistently even when his jumper isn't falling.

JusBleezy likes this.
  4. JayZ750

I agree strongly with this. It's his saving grace this year for sure. That and the Alpi PnR.

His athleticism is INCREDIBLE. Add in the fouls, its why he's competent going to the rim.

JusBleezy, jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's not at all personal, insulting someone's basketball skills is not personal. Fans think it is but these guys know when they are playing bad or when they suck, they know it BEFORE fans do, they get used to other players and coaches telling them about it. All the time. Lol high level team sports, my guy, you say this but Jordan was punching teammates and insulted his teammates CONSTANTLY. Same for Kobe. Tom Brady again, known for calling out BS on his team. Since you want to go that route I think those guys have played more high level team sports than everyone else here combined.

Ego literally just said yall dudes sucked last year and yall dudes ain't improve one bit. To the media. What ripples did that cause?

All this talk about how "He's not good enough." who cares? All these guys are at the same level, there is no team leader. It's about time someone starts to get angry about how much of a mess they are.

YOLO likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok how am I supposed to to interpret take his ass out?

It seems pretty self-explanatory.

Anybody that watches the game can see that Green is screwing up a bunch as well as Smith would you be ok if Sengun says take his ass out when misses bunnies or keeps missing wide open shots?

7. JayZ750

This issue is he should be screaming it and benching himself by this logic.

It's definitely noteworthy that he's had a flare up with JG earlier and now Alpi and not KPJ who is the "head honcho" but the most noteworthy thing is he is throwing stones whiles he's been the worst player when it comes to impact winning (just statistically, the worst net rating) getting any meaningful minutes on the team.

Yung-T, Ankara1923 and harold bingo like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The problem is they all are not playing well right now. They should be angry and frustrated, if these guys are happy and content we should be wondering if they have the right mentality to continue to improve in this league because some of these players are content with putting up numbers but don't care about the w/l record as long as they get their statline.

But I'll say it again, players KNOW when they are playing bad. So it's not usually a shock when another teammate, coach, whatever, tells them that they are playing bad. Players spent their whole lives having bad games, having to improve, etc...

Sengun will be alright and I bet Sengun is the first person to tell you that his defense sucks.

YOLO likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

Bradley Beal averaged less points on worse efficiency while having 36% of his makes being self created his sophomore vs Green at 62% of his makes being self created. If you want to know how big that gap is in unassisted fgm %, it's the same difference between Rudy Golbert and Kevin Durant for their careers for unassisted fgm.

Yes, 100% Jalen Green has significantly better self creation skills at 20 than Beal. The absurd difference in unassisted makes while being more efficient says that if you are so adamant that highlights aren't enough.

Is that data good enough for you?

You made specific claims about Green being nothing more than a straight line speedster. That definitely is no where near the case and I'm at least backing my claims up with multiple fronts(eye test and data)

JusBleezy likes this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

EGO is the veteran, he can say whatever he wants. Even then he has never directly called out any particular player let alone yelling at his coach to bench someone's ass mid game.

Smith is out of line, would he be okay with Garrison Matthew to yell at Silas to take Smith out of the game after every brick he throws up at the 3 point line.

Of all the time Harden was here, or Yao, or Tmac. I have never really heard any of them publicly call out a team mate like that, except when Harden was forcing a trade.

Again Smith is not even on the same planet as Jordan, Kobe or Brady. If Smith played like Jordan, he can slap Sengun in the face for all I care, but he's not. He's a 19 year old who's been just as bad as everyone else on this team

subtomic and jiggyfly like this.
  11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You can interpret it however you want, I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind, I'm just explaining the way I see it. Saying something in the heat of the moment is not the same as if he, for example, came to Silas the next day and said he thinks Sengun needs to be benched. I see it as an emotional outburst. People say **** like this when they are frustrated and losing and it doesn't bother me.

To your second question, no, missing shots is not the same thing as missing an assignment. Anyone is allowed to miss a shot as long as it's a good shot. That's not the same as a lack of effort or a lapse of focus.

JayGoogle and YOLO like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This makes no sense whatsoever, and especially with the youth of today.

Smith is not Jordan, Brady or Kobe and that's the issue if he had those guys skins on wall I would have no problem, but he is a rookie shooting below 40% and no business telling a coach to take his ass out of a game for another player.

I don't have a problem with him getting angry and if he had said something to Alpi I still would not have a problem, but calling for the coach to take his out mid game is crossing a line and showing up your teammate.

Ego is actually a veteran who has skins on the wall, and he did not personally call anybody out, and I am not so sure if what he said has not caused ripples because the team has seemed to stop playing team ball as much.

clos4life likes this.
  13. JayZ750

What data have you presented that shows he's more than a straight-line speedster?

I wish JG had Beal levels of assisted vs. unassisted. I don't view it as a good thing that JG can inefficiently get his own shot. Steph had 80% of his 3 pointers assisted his sophomore year.

You're conflating "self-creation" (not something i said) with "purpose" and "bag".

Bradley Beal is not a comp to be super jazzed about. It's better than Jordan Clarkson, but meh.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

anyone on this team can say whatever they want. EG is the vet sure but he obviously isn't the type of vet for this team. as for everyone else, they can all say whatever the hell they want. Every single player is trying to find their place in this league and get this team going. They have 10 wins at the midpoint of the season. Nobody has some make believe hierarchy where they cannot voice displeasure on a sorry ass 10 win team.

Everyone's frustrated. So what. I'd rather have that then guys dancing around like westbrick like everything is ok

JayG is exactly right, folks on cf's are way more senstive than the players themselves. They act like its big news when in reality it isn't

JayGoogle likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It seems you just want to bend over backward and make excuses for Smith and if he went behind closed doors and said this i would not nearly have as much of an issue.

Do we really want Sengun trying to block every shot when we know how foul prone he is sometimes giving up the basket is the more prudent play.

16. fchowd0311

If Jalen Green has such a significant gap in unassisted makes while having a 4 percent lead in ts% over the same player on higher volume, yes that shows a deeper bag.

So far you haven't provided a single iota of evidence besides your perception. I'm actually providing something besides "trust me!"

Is his absurd difference in self creation shots vs 20 year old Beal causing him to have worse efficiency than 20 year old Beal? Nope.

20 year old Beal was less efficient on easier shot attempts created by teammates on lower volume. It's that simple.

#116 fchowd0311, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How is this an excuse for Smith? I already told you I would be fine with any player on the team having this kind of outburst about any other player on the team. I just don't think it's a big deal. Like if you're a wide receiver and you're open for a walk in touchdown and your QB misses the throw. You can scream "get this MF out the game he can't throw for ****!" because you're mad that he missed you. That doesn't actually mean you want to get rid of him. You're just mad he missed the throw, it happens. Athletes are passionate and they say **** like this when they get mad, I think it's fine.

JayGoogle and YOLO like this.
  18. JayZ750

A deeper bag than 2nd year Bradley Beal? Great!!! Lol. You are very focused on Beal...

4% higher on TS%. Great!!! lol... I mean I guess if we're talking 55% vs. 59% thats helpful. We're talking a dude that was insanely inefficient (Beal) vs. one that is very very very inefficient. They're both BAD.

Also, technically, it DOESN'T show a deeper bag. Frankly, you can't really use data to show this. It would take an in depth video analysis.

Yeah, I'm not going to throw out the bball reference pages of all the players i mentioned (and many i didn't). you can believe it or not. i know what i've seen and researched.

Who cares? I mean i literally said he's on Booker/Beal tract, and you're basically confirming that. He's been slightly better than 2nd year Beal...great!!! All while ISO ISO ISO'ing!!! Yay!! Lol. Nvm that he might actually be A LOT better if he didn't iso and his "bag" consisted of off-ball action, too.

I was VERY clear in what I laid out.

Feel free to show me data that puts him on a superstar path...

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I know Smith isn't those guys but I was just showing how it does happen in high level sports. The best teams often have these players. Draymond Green is one of those players and he's like the 5th best player on his team.

I just think it's not a big deal and its being discussed longer here than it is in the lockerroom.

Smith was frustrated the team he was playing on was being embarrassed...again, and lashed out at a play he thought Sengun messed up on. He's also had fights with Green so I don't think he picks on Sengun. He's just vocal, we knew this coming in that he's a very vocal player.

Until we start hearing about rifts I will think this amounts to nothing. It would be different if he went to the press and told them you can't play Sengun because of his defense but this?

We also don't even know how true this is. It's just someone at courtside saying they heard something and we have no context or anything.

EDIT: Also, on Draymond. He obviously did cross a line with Durant and that's a good example of making things personal, especially with a player that has a history of being pretty sensitive. Draymond using the media narrative to insult Durant (We don't even need you) cut deep and that obviously is an example of things going too far...but then again Draymond assaulted one of his teammates and things are all good...not me saying I endorse Draymond's behavior though.

#119 JayGoogle, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    harold bingo and YOLO like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL wut?

If a rookie WR did that to any established QB he would be benched.

If you are calling for anybody to be benched you damn well better mean it especially if you are doing it in the heat of a game for all to see.

If this is true It's not over, especially with a player who everybody likes with Alpi.

It just reeks of trying to act like a leader instead of actually being one.

I am going to be checking if Smith is actually contesting everything that he can because I think he has done the same thing from time to time.