1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I cant watch the NBA anymore.. the product right now is HORRIBLE?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HardenVolumeOne, Nov 5, 2021.

1. HardenVolumeOne

most guys that are 6’10 and above are unaffected by these new defensive rules. It’s mostly the guards

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Isiah Thomas wondering out loud on the pregame show whether James Harden can get to the next level of intensity to win a ring. Also wonders whether Nash is the kind of coach who can pull that level of effort out of Harden.

3. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Yup the nba right now is just dry hump, mug your opponent bad defense and chucking up 3s. Its no wonder the warriors have the best record again

After the last two snoozer playoffs, as well this is probably the lowest point in league history in a long while

whiskeyred likes this.
  4. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

It says a lot when the most interesting topics regarding basketball right now are two players NOT playing

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Rewarding undisciplined defense so regularly is really lame.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

New rules blow chunks. All I see is a bunch of hacking going on now, like 90s bball all over again.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That is what is so funny
    people screaming they love it now
    HATED IT IN THE 90s!

Rocket River

plutoblue11 and clos4life like this.
  8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

ISO, chucking up threes, favoring players, watered down league, Lakers media dominating, and bloated contracts destroying teams has broken the NBA.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha, yes.

I think they are going to change it again.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yeah, all of it is confusing to me. You just aren't going to satisfy fans. Fans complained about too much offense-heavy games, yet they instituted new rules to curb it and the defense has too much leverage.

Yet, other fans who believed the 90s style of play was the best and had the better defensive rule. Complain about the offense having too many advantages. Think the defensive rules too much, too. And, it's crazy how this happens.

It's weird, because they shot way more free-throws in the past. There was alot more game stoppage.

I feel like the league is trying to make the pace a certain speed.

Rocket River likes this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The rule change is not supposed to encourage reckless defensive roughness. It is supposed to eliminate non-basketball moves that are intended to create contact for a foul call. It's the same intention for eliminating moves like the side swipe and the kicking out of a leg.

I am all for not rewarding the so-called "smart" offensive moves that manufacture foul calls out of thin air. I hate those moves. The problem is not the rule. It's the refs who don't know how to differentiate non-fouls from real fouls.

Imagine if the league told the refs not to fall for flopping, and they started to swallow the whistle for real fouls.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m a fan. They’re missing some calls, but they’re not calling everything which I think is better overall. Refs tend to call a lot they can’t see based on player reactions and assumptions. When there are 4-5 bodies and you’re on one side, you can’t always see the foul. But you assume there was a foul based on a players reaction. I’m of the mindset that you NEVER call something you don’t see with your own two eyes.

Slyonebluejay and Rocket River like this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No matter what rule you make. . . someone will take advantage of it
    The "smart" offensive moves to get fouls on the defense = the "Smart" flopping to get foul calls on the offense
    (I still recall Flopus Smart flopping two times in a row and the refs gave it to him)

Now . . .The shift the advantage to full defense
    Not unlike how Seattle use to exploit the illegal defense rules by playing an illegal defense all game long
    (Which is why they were hell for the Olajuwon Rockets)

So now .. . Defenses take this change to be more handsy
    I never cared one way or the other for Harden's "crafty smart" fouls drawn
    EXCEPT . . him keeping the ball far out . .. . mainly because the defense legit hit wrist/forearms on those reaches
    That can never be allowed but it was
    NOW . . . it seems more allowed than ever

Rocket River

Easy likes this.
  15. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

5/5 thread. Would read again.

16. Asian Sensation

Meanwhile 6’2 Steph Curry “carrying his own team” to a 10-1 record, has no problems making buckets and is the frontrunner for his 3rd MVP.

Ja Morant putting up similar numbers to what Harden used to put up when he wasn’t a slow, fat, balding bum. Both 6’1 Trae Young and Donovan Mitchell doing just fine. Is it the product that’s horrible or James Frauden that’s horrible?

17. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

I just don't see why penalizing non-basketball offensive moves translates to allowing hacking on drives to the rim.

Leg kicks, jumping into closeouts and hooking defender's arms are a different type of foul altogether.

I think all people want is to get rid of the cheesy stuff while still calling the mugging on drives appropriately.

Easy likes this.
  18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Agreed. But players are so clever at disguising the “cheesy stuff” that to get rid of that the refs may end up missing on legit fouls. It’s still early in the season, and I would expect a better balance to be struck as the season progresses.

Easy and Zen Tabak like this.
  19. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

You can't watch the NBA anymore because your boy Harden is not doing as well as Curry.