1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I bought this TV last night

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cwebbster, Dec 5, 2008.

1. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

OK so in 15 years when there are much better TV's available mine won't work?

I will just paint my new TV on my wall.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Okay so what do you guys think of the TV I just bought last night from BestBuy.com? 56" Samsung 1080p DLP (HL56A650) for $999 + free shipping + free Logitech Harmony 550 remote + tax. It's going in the master bedroom to replace a 46" Samsung 720p DLP I've had for a couple years now. I have the room and stand that can support a DLP so I don't have a real need to wall mount a LCD/Plasma.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8749492&type=product&id=1202649425028

I think it's a decent deal even though it's not one of the newer Samsung 750 series LED DLPs. I'm hoping for the same positive experience I've had with my older 46" Samsung DLP.

3. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

I think 720p and 1080i is the same thing.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Spend what you can afford - if you can afford it, would be my answer. Don't blow money for the sake of blowing it.

Next... it would depend on the tv size you have. I'd honestly get a surround sound set up before I get bluray. But that's just me. A beautiful picture is impressive, but nothing blew me away quite like loading up Lord of the Rings on a 7.1 surround sound system with a 525-watt subwoofer. Or in Gladiator when the arrows are flying over my head and behind me in, I believe, the opening scenes. Or when the morningstar (?) is being swung around by that huge fighter in Gladiator and the sound effect goes in a circle around you. Simply amazing to me.

For me, a great picture is awesome, but it's still in front of you and you have to "go to it", whereas a great surround sound system envelopes you and puts you in the middle of scenes, hence, "it comes to you".

#44 Dr of Dunk, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have a 27" Vizio in my "geek room". It's a good tv for the price. In that price range, it is the brand I would more than likely buy. Walmart carries them. Go there and look at the picture. If it looks good to you, buy it. I have no complaints with mine based upon what I spent, but all I do is watch TV on it - no dvd or gaming console hooked up to it.

Ultimately just make sure it has enough connections for what you need it to do and then make sure you like the picture. If that works, buy it, if you can afford it.

6. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I had this same Sylvania TV and it looked great for about 6 months. Then it went down hill pretty quick. The picture started getting pretty crappy looking. It started looking like you were watching videos on Youtube, lots of dead pixels. It was especially bad when watching football, it looked like the field was made out of tiny squares. This was on a DTV HD receiver too. I ended up selling it to my cousin for 500 dollars and used the money to get a Sony Bravia.(great TV!) Maybe the set I bought was a dud, I hope you have good luck with it though man. :cool:

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

720p/1080i = the same thing, the interlaced is showing half a picture, then the other half right after, it does it really fast
    720p is a solid picture, then another solid picture

1080p=solid picture, then solid picture

Many sports (ESPN) display in 720p, Fox does 720p, I think CBS is 1080i.

The solid picture (p) > the interlaced picture (i)

No (older, non 1080p)DLPs were ever 1080i. they were all 720p chips

every HDTV accepts 1080i or 720p. if you have something set to 1080i on a 720p, it converts the 1080i to 720p (de-interlacing), some tvs do this better than others, so the more expensive tvs make the picture look smoother and cleaner

1080p is only visible if you sit really close to the tv, else you can't see any difference til you reach 50inches while sitting back at about 8ft

8. tinman

Supporting Member

yup. that's the risk you take when you buy a lower brand tv.
    The sales guy at sears is there to do exactly that sell.

the best thing to do is read reviews about the tv on video forums like AVSforum.com
    they usually have Owner threads, so the owners will tell you their experience. I wanted a reliable TV, so I read many reviews about my TV before I bought it. They were correct about it.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is because you are older than me Tinman. I barely remember life before Playstation, I certainly wasn't buying TVs(in fact every TV in the house was older than me, all of wich were probably on the cheap side.)

The Sanyo I have is a 20-somethin inch CRT with buttons that fell into the set, but it still works fine picture wise. I have a 27" flat screen Sony that is ok, but it sits in the guest room. I have the 32" polaroid in my room, and a 50" Rear Projection RCA in the living room.

From my experience with my Polaroid, it is a great picture with my Xbox, but the picture looked better on the Samsungs at Wal-Mart. The speakers are definitely low end. Over 3yrs into it, it has served me well. The thing I hate about it is it doesn't have a hookup for my computer. I wouldn't recommend it at the full price, but for less than 50% of the price, it was worth every penny.

I'd like to put my Sony in my son's room, my Polaroid in the guest room, and mount a new TV in my bedroom, although 42" may be too big, but my TVs always start looking small to me. I can't watch TV on a 19" anymore, I feel like I can't see anything.

I looked at some Sanyo reviews and they seem pretty hit and miss. I think I'm just going to wait and buy a Samsung when I actually need another TV. It is my addiction.

Tinman, why do you know so much about TVs? Is it just the love of TV?

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I bought a JVC D-ILA 52" HDTV a little over 3 years ago. It's a good thing I didn't see that reliability chart or I wouldn't have bought it. I like the set. The sodium lamp needs to be replaced every year or two when it burns out, though, and they are anywhere from $125 - $250 bucks...depending on where you buy them. But, I like the TV...until I have any significant problem or a severe problem. Then, not so much. ;)

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I like technology, without it we're cavemen.
    I also go to the trade shows and see all the new tvs before the come out.

I'd recommend this tv for you since its in your price range and has the pc inputs and high resolution you need. plus its a better brand than polaroid

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253161

12. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

1080p = Solid Picture? LOL. Come on now....

the P = Progressive.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Would I be wasting my money if I bought a Blu-ray player if I don't have 1080p? I have 720p/1080i. Could be a determining factor.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

i know this dude. i'm trying to talk to people who aren't in the technical aspect of tvs.

that's like if i told you to do a fireball motion, you know what that means, but someone people need to termed a quarter circle motion

15. tinman

Supporting Member

no. i don't have a 1080p tv and i'm going to buy a bluray player.

the high def discs have more data and more advanced compression, so you'll see sharper pictures with much better color and stability than regular HD broadcasts.

16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Geez! fireball motion? Really? Let me break it down for those who don't know.

Down, Down-Forward, Forward + Little Punch or Strong Punch or Fierce Punch. =)

17. chow_yun_fat

Jab. :cool:

18. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

YOU WIN!

[​IMG]

19. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

i have 4 sony tvs.

1 27" analog (2002)
    1 36" CRT HDTV (2003)
    1 32" CRT HDTV (2004)
    1 40" LCD HDTV (2007)

so i had ZEROOOOO problems with any of those sets. like zero! picture is still just as clear from day 1, sound is just as good.

i will continue to buy sony tvs.

the few hundred dollars i save by buying el cheapo brands is not worth the hassle or crap i have to go through.

20. chow_yun_fat

lol, lets play