1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I bought this TV last night

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cwebbster, Dec 5, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

let's see how long the bravia last vs the other brand.
    [​IMG]

2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

It has 2 HDMI ports, I hooked in my HD Cable Box and ps3 last night, picture was amazing for the Blu-Ray

It has a port for the PC, which I hooked up as well, and put the WII into the componet.

#22 cwebbster, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Don't tell me you don't have a receiver... ;)

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

What if it's for the bedroom? Would you still get a AVR for it? I guess he can use component for one device and HDMI for the other. I have 3 HDMI on my TV and i've used them all for PS3, U-verse box and my PC input.

5. BiGGieStuFF

As of this moment I don't :(. That will be the next expenditure. Right now I'm getting by since my Tv has 3 HDMIs.

6. BiGGieStuFF

You'd know better since you have it there. The link only said HDMI (1 set) I'm guessing 1 set = 2 ports? :)

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

My bad, my bad...

I was thrown off by their description (the text I quoted) that seemed to be touting component as a main selling point. My guess is that whoever wrote that doesn't know what the hell HDMI is, which is a bit scary.

Of course, I could have also just looked right below the write-up and seen the HDMI logo :eek:

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Just like b*tches, as long as you're happy with it, who cares what everyone else thinks...

9. BiGGieStuFF

It's just clutchfans trying to look out for other clutchfans making sure they get the most for their money :)

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Should I get a receiver and surround sound first or a blu ray first?

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I'm guessing, if you already have an HD source through cable, satellite, or a gaming device, then you probably need to get a sound system next. If you have no HD source but you do have an HDTV, then you need to get some type of HD source.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Then I wouldn't buy a Sony(Playstation comes to mind), though I get the idea. My Polaroid is not the best, but it works, was dirt cheap, like $350 for a 32", when they were selling for $750. Wouldn't pay that much for it today though. It's my bedroom TV, so it didn't have to be great.

What about this 42" Sanyo at Wal-Mart for $598?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=1029180

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Last week I saw three people in a row return their Sanyo TVs back to Walmart. I'm not joking, and it was not different days, it was three people coming in while I was there about 20 minutes. I'm slowly but surely beginning to realize that cheaper brand electronics is NOT the way to go.

14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I applaud your jump on getting what you think is a good deal. if you like the TV and the price was acceptable good for you.

I, on the other hand, as someone who is normally technically capable, have fallen behind on the quagmire that is TV technical details, and am currently frozen in this quagmire due to my lack of keeping up combined with the chicanery that is Television Sales in today's market.

So, for all you people trying to "help" someone not get "taken" in this market, where does someone, who doesn't want to spend a lot for this muffler, go to start shopping for new TV. No, I don't have a PS3 or Xbox (do have a wii) or a Blue Ray. Flat Panel? Plasma? 1080i/p (this one I get, actually) Projection? HD? HDMI... holy crap it's getting confusing.

Hmm? I know there are threads all over about this, but its a lot like the web, information overload and no apples to apples basics for someone who's been fine with their old CRT Sony for 10 years.

15. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Anybody have opinions on Vizio brand?? Any good?

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

There's a Consumer Reports reliability (basically "quality") comparison chart at the top of this page.

I'd say it looks pretty decent if you're not in the market for the top class brands. I have a Philips and I'm happy with it, and the Vizio is rated better on that chart. So if you go to the store and you're happy with the picture and the connections, then go for it.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wrong conclusion dude, we all know sony has been making tvs way before video game systems came out.

I'm not trying to dog your tv, i hope it works well, but facts and insider info tells me that Polaroid Tvs (just the name they stick on the tv, not the actual manufacturer) are not dependable. again good luck.

Sanyo is popular in other parts of the world except for the US. its a pretty big company. I had a cheap Sanyo TV in college, it worked pretty well.

Read the reviews on any tv before buying.

What is this tv for? main tv watching?

18. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

What do you guys think about prices, is it better to buy now, or buy after Xmas??

19. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

There's always great deals near the Super Bowl.

20. DaDream

DaDream Member

Question: when walking thru Wal-mart the other day I noticed all the flat panel TV's are, whether it be plasma or LCD, either 720p or 1080p. I thought 1080i was better than 720p. Why is there no TV's that are 1080i? Seems like on the projection and DLP's (I guess) are 1080i.
    720p, 1080i , 1080p .... is that the order of less good to best?