1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I bought a new tire last week.....and they gave me a used one....whats my course of action?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eddiewinslow, Aug 27, 2013.

1. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

So I had a flat last week, I bought a brand new tire and waited an hour to have it installed at a tire shop and I paid $50 extra to have it shipped in same day bc it was an odd size and couldn't get another one at discount tire. So I went to a franchise of a big chain. I paid alot of money for a new tire + road hazard protection, well same tire goes flat today and AAA came and put air in it just now so i can take it to the shop tomorrow......and I never looked bc I trusted the shop but the AAA guy said i had a used tire bc it's all beat up and I've driven less than 150 miles since installation.

1.Should i stop payment on american express
    2.Call shop and see their story(im worried they'll say i changed it out)

What would you do? I need a new tire tomorrow but i dont wanna wait out a dispute with my credit card and the store and then i somehow lose and pay for 2 tires,old one and new one, bc they were pricey, over $400(rear tire) when $50 shipping + road hazard + mount and balance was included.

but I don't wanna give this store my business again they clearly gave me a used tire and billed me for a new one hoping id never know.....

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What big chain store is this?

What kind of car do you drive?

3. codell

codell Member

Let me ask you this, why did you have to replace it in the first place? By any chance did you hit a curb or run over something with that tire?

4. likestohypeguy

I think if you didn't notice that it wasn't new when it was installed, there's not much you can do now unless they're feeling really nice. & if they actually sold you a used tire as new, I doubt they will.

Did it not look fresh & crisp when they put it on, a new tire kind of jumps out at you.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

go thru amex, and try to get a statement in writing from the AAA guy

6. ILoveWhiteGirls

Go back where you got it from and tell them they gave you a used tire instead of a new one???

7. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Just stick a nail or piece of metal through SIDE wall of tire. Not supposed to repair side wall damage and road hazard will replace.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

I wouldn't take the word of some AAA/Tow Truck driver. And I doubt that Discount Tire put a used tire on your vehicle and lied about it. Just take it back due to it going flat so quickly and demand a new tire. But don't accuse them of that BS, especially if you didn't/couldn't look yourself for proof.

9. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Member

Interesting... Though the road hazard is in full effect, not sure how they would handle a nail to the side wall. That's the equivalent of purposely breaking your phone to get a new one (assuming you have accidental damage coverage), seems a lot like fraud.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

No other choice.

[​IMG]

11. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Not promoting fraud but they screwed him out of a tire. There is all sorts of trash and debris on road that will cause damage including nails in sidewall.

12. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

it wasn't from discount tire....it was from a franchised good year shop...im not in houston...

Amex I just called, they no questions asked charged it back, and i have to send them photos of the tire. Im waiting for AAA to come and pump it up so i can take it to another tire shop

13. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Glad it worked out for ya, besides being a pain and lost time.

14. updawg

updawg Member

Well, it was a new tire to you

15. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3QjTIm-vSKg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. davidio840

davidio840 Member

I worked at Discount Tire during college and I saw this all of the time. Nobody really asks questions. Nails/Screws can get in the sidewall of a tire while driving. However, if you put it right above the bead (where the tire meets the rim) that is just plain stupid (I assume that is what you were referring too).

If you were to do it, put it right where the tread meets the side of the tire. They cannot repair one inch from the tread to the side of the tire. This is because all tires (except run flats, which cannot be repaired period) have nylon threading into the steel wire in the tire. It will make the tire really weak and it will blow out.

Another thing you can do if you want new tires is put 2 nails (screws are easier with a drill) within a few inches of each other in the tire. They can only put a patch at a 90 degree angle from anther patch. In other words, you cannot have two patches next to each other unless it is 90 degrees away from the other patch inside the tire. It won't be considered fraud or anything because they can't prove it. Don't make a habit out of it. It is something to consider if you need a tire or two and are strapped on cash.

Just don't screw a screw in there and drive straight there. Drive around a little so the head of the screw is worn down or simply put it in 3/4 of the way and cut the head of the screw off.

#16 davidio840, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  17. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Member
    Supporting Member

Melt the tire down, make a bunch of rubbers out if it, spunk in every last one of them, leave all of them at the door of the tire shop, profit.