1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I appreciate Daryl Morey, go ahead call me a homer!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Love him or not, DM has given McHale and us an incredible team to cheer for.

Look at how this team has come together.

Trading for Harden, a miracle still in my mind, but the first cornerstone for building our championship team. If he maintains this pace and production, he should be the MVP this year, a Houston Rocket MVP--that's just AWESOME!

Signing Dwight, another coup, luring him from the LA Lakers and blocking the Mavs! The second cornerstone and start of our defensive juggernaut. This may have cost us Parsons, but after seeing what he did with that money, Chandler can smoke his Cuban.

Drafting TJones, Canaan, and Nick Johnson... all of these guys look like they can be contributors or trade pieces down the line. TJ was playing great, but his bizarre injury has me wondering if karma (kicking folks) has caught up with him. Canaan played well in the Pre-S and had moments this year. He reminds me of a young Ben Gordon, instant shooting off the bench. I believe Nick can be our PG of the future. Kid has talent and just needs more experience, send him to Vipers.

Trading for DMo. Besides awesome low post moves, he's become a solid position defensive player. The latter is interesting because we all thought losing Asik would hurt badly. However, DMo despite limited touches gives us a fantastic b/u center offensively and a better position defender at center than Asik. I believe DMo has better lateral quickness and uses his feet better than Asik. He'll never be a great shot blocker, but moving his feet to stay in front of his player, taking charges and hustling for lose balls has been a Godsend for our team.

Signing Trevor Ariza, Patrick Beverly and Josh Smith. I wasn't excited about Ariza after his first stint here, but after looking at him again I started to convince myself he could at least help replace Parsons. Well, I've been pleasantly surprised by how his play has helped transform us into a defensive juggernaut. He's a solid player and when he gets some rest, I hope his shot starts falling like when he started the season. Bev brings a fire to our team that is contagious. His improvement in his 3pt shot this year has been dramatic. Finding him as a FA was a great move. He'll never be a great play-maker, but his disruptive style gets into other player's head and gives us an edge. He's also an elite rebounder for a PG. Josh hasn't done squat yet, but two years ago if we had signed him, we would have had our big-3. Whether he's capable of being that now (or ever) is to be seen. He brings another defensive and transition presence that will only make us deeper/stronger.

Trading for Brewer and Shved. Was this was just icing on the cake or the subtle additions that throw us into contention. Brewer is another disruptor/difference maker. Replacing Garcia with Brewer was a HUGE upgrade. He allows us to rest both Harden and Ariza. Great move. Shved is a classic low risk/high reward move. A 6'6" PG who can create and shoot the 3pter is well worth the low cost. I'm excited to see how he performs going forward and whether maybe he can become our Dragic-lite.

Trading for Jason Terry and Kostas Papa. Will all thought Terry was a contract for flipping. He still might be, but the enthusiasm and experience he's brought have been invaluable so far. Although he's not close to his former self, he gives us glimpses of the Jet and that's all we need for key moments. I hope we can keep him for the play-offs. Big Papa is an interesting player. Thrown in the Thomas Robinson deal, he seemed to be a consolation signing when we didn't get Bosh. Early on he's shown us an ability to create and play smart. He's still adjusting his shot, but the capability to be a solid back-up 3/4 is there. I see a smarter, better Casspi replacement if he can get his shot going. However, his injury set him back and with the recent additions, I'm not sure he'll get much time (barring injuries). He becomes a potentiall luxury/trade piece.

Signing Joey Dorsey. Ok, no ones perfect. Dorsey gives us a big body to throw at people and his play has improved with additional minutes. However, he's not someone that is going to really make a positive difference for us, except as a spot defender/enforcer/hard foul giver.

Clint Capela. Dude needs to spend the next two years with Vipers and then see what we have. He could be an intriguing trade piece for a team looking for youth and potential.

This summer sucked, but DM has taken the clay we had and molded the personnel on paper into a contender. Now its up to McHale/his coaches and the players to make this a true team that can win it all.

I believe Daryl has gotten us some incredible players and I for one can't wait to get this team on the court (after some practices) and see what they can do. If you look at the mix of talent, experience and youth, this team has a lot of capability and weapons to employ. While everyone is still clamoring for Dragic, I'm not sure we need him. While the Dragon is one of my favs, unless we get him at the right price I wouldn't do it. With that said, I'm very excited by the moves that DM has made and how we've played so far (despite injury challenges).

GREAT JOB DARYL!

1 person likes this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That Murray guy is pretty decent.

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Pretty sure you're preaching to the choir here, but I approve nonetheless.

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Hopefully we can a Finals series for the guy's genius, seriously man it's about time.

5. HoustonLiftoff

Not that Morey always makes the right decision (Royce,Brad Miller, Dorsey, Thomas Robinson, Lowry, Dragic, Ariza the first time around, etc.) but I admire that he always remains flexible and is one of the most active GMs in the league. In no way is he perfect but he does a really good job preparing the roster for unexpected events (Harden, Howard, J-Smoove, Bosh/Melo, etc.).

All in all this team has been exponentially more exciting to watch every year and I can't wait to see how this team responds with J-Smoove!

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

OK.

Homer.

1 person likes this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think it's safe to say most of us guys on CF have Darnell Murphy tattooed across our chests.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade...invent a combustible lemon" - Cave Johnson

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, probably, but when I see people call him a "moron" in other threads because he cut Tarik Black early that makes me want to defend him.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

It's spelled darrrelllll Murray

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Agreed

Rocket River

12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

More Mauri threads pls

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Nothing wrong with liking people!

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We don't need dessert no more. You tipped him after the appetizer.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Best GM in sports

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

only two GMs in the history of the game have spanned two eras without dipping into the lottery, never dropping below .500 while completely retooling the roster

Morey and Bob Whitsitt of Portland in the '94-2003 going from Drexler to Wallace and was a 16-pt 4th Q choke job away from a ring in 2000

18. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

Aww, no Simpson pics?

You guys let me down.

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

helookok.jpg

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Now that's an interesting fact.