1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hypothetical] What if Washington accepted the Beal-for-Harden trade in 2012?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jul 30, 2019.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's a slow news day (Jeremy Lin notwithstanding) so let's play a game :)

Back in 2013, Houston was Presti's 3rd choice in moving Harden and, supposedly, were really close to moving Harden to Washington for Bradley Beal (link) . That move could have changed the course for a lot of teams (probably even for the entire league) but Houston definitely had a lot of questions if that trade never happened:

1. The projected starting lineup for that 2012-2013 season before Harden would have been

Asik
    Patterson
    Parsons
    Martin
    Lin

Question 1: How many games do you think this team would have won (sans Harden) that season?

Question 2: Would any of the players on that roster have fared significantly better (e.g. make an All-Star team) without Harden on the team?

2. This trade definitely goes down as one of the greatest heists in NBA history, giving Morey the reputation he currently has today.

Question 3: If this trade didn't happen, how long do you think Morey would have lasted as the Rockets GM?

3. Not having Harden on the roster would have probably negated Dwight Howard from coming here to Houston the following summer in 2013.

Question 4: If Morey were to have used the capspace on another free agent, which free agent would it have been?

List here https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--2013-nba-free-agents-025212223.html

4. One interesting note from this whole ordeal was that Sam Presti reportedly called Golden State up, offering Harden for Klay Thompson and a pick. Golden State, being cheap at the time, wanted OKC to take back salaries. (link here) . Note: that pick was actually used in the summer of 2013 in the trade that would eventually net them Andre Iguodala.

Question 5: If the Warriors bit the bullet and traded Thompson and that pick (which helped greased the wheels to get Iggy), would a Big 3 of Curry, Harden, and Green be as dominant as what we saw before Durant's arrival in Oakland?

Question 6: How many championships would GSW have won with Curry/Harden/Green, if any?

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Things would not be much different. Kevin Martin would have scored maybe a bit below 36 ppg last season.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lots of questions.

J.R., Mazulis and macho GRANDE like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Slow news day remember? :D

Mazulis and daywalker02 like this.
  5. riko

riko Member

Lin no one wants him
    Kmart out of the league
    Chandler washed up
    Patterson washed up
    Asik is he even still on a nba roster.

That team was lottery bound and morey had convinced grandpa les that it was time to tank. That team was destined to be horrendous until god blessed us with the beard.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

After reading your first line I got excited because I thought you were about to bust out a haiku. But, unfortunately, it didn't happen.

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Rockets would've won multiple championships. Harden is not a good passer...…..unlike Dmo, god that guy could pass.

DD

gotsis, Bengchu, SF3isBack!! and 6 others like this.
  8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Both WAS and OKC would be better off today.

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

1)40 win team
    2)martin
    3)still here hes maury hes god
    4)dwight howard. Iggy ;)
    5) more although thompson and iggy have been huge in the notion of "team" i wonder how much harden might habe bogged down their approach. Warriors are who they have been for team and sum of parts.
    6) 2

Weird thread thats why i answered goood times

steddinotayto likes this.
  10. MultipleSauces

What if my uncle had a
    Vagina

jeevinesh and tycoonchip like this.
  11. alethios

alethios Member

I thought it was going to be a limerick. We were both shaded.

Haymitch likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

1) they would’ve won like 35 games at best...I was preparing my mind, body, and soul for a horrendous season until we got blessed with Harden...praise be to Presti...it was shaping up to be the hardest to watch season since 05-06, and my God, words can barely describe how horrible that season was

2) Make an All-Star team? Those average-below average talents? Hell no. Lin would’ve had better looking numbers stat padding on a bad team, but that’s about it.

3) that’s hard for me to say, but the Harden trade is what made Morey...that was his best move BY FAR and is 1 of the greatest trades in history...there would’ve been no Dwight, CP, and now Russ without Harden

4) nobody worth mentioning, that’s for sure...stars aren’t flocking to Houston...the main reason they’ve checked for us is because we had Harden...he would’ve been left to do things like paying a young Ariza hoping he can blossom into a much better player or overpaying for nice, but nowhere close to great, players

5) I say yes...people don’t realize how much of an absolute beast Harden was as the 3rd fiddle in OKC playing more of a supporting role...things that Klay does like spotting up, cutting, and moving without the ball are things that Harden did consistently in OKC at a very high level...he would also bring the playmaking and shot creation that Klay could only dream of

6) they would’ve won multiple...Harden>>>>Klay...let’s not act like if Harden had been in GS all this time he’d be playing how he does here...he would’ve bought into that ball movement, free flowing type of offense

vlaurelio likes this.
  13. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Let's not forget about the great defense that Harden plays too. Harden can do all the things Klay does such as moving without the ball and running around for 20 seconds so Curry can get an open shot, setting screen for Curry, guarding the toughest guard because Curry sucks on Defense.

vlaurelio likes this.
  14. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

What if you ask?

What if my aunt had a di-k? she would be my uncle.

But in all seriousness...if the Rockets traded for Beal we would be the bottom feeders of the NBA similar to what the wizards are right now. End of story.

I didnt even read this post.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Houston would have won like 6x chips, and then they'd invent time travel and get hakeem and Jordan back in that 84 draft to run it back and change history back then.... Are you still reading my trash post? What if there Rockets drafted Sam Bowie?

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

]
    Not that it matters, but the trade was for Beal to goto OKC and Harden to Wiz

17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Jeremy Lin would've been an MVP and 99% of this forums would be occupied by LOFs.

18. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

There are two possibilities here.

The first possibility is they would have won all the championships and probably brought KD in as well.

The second possibility is that Green gets in Hardens face for standing at half court while Steph runs around screens.
    JH sulks and demands a trade. Daryl Morey offers six first round picks, his daughter and Beyonce for Harden.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

We would suck lol

vlaurelio likes this.
  20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Morey is that you?