1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypothetical scenario

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by cuddie, Mar 24, 2011.

1. cuddie

cuddie Member

If you were somehow blessed with an inordinate amount of NBA talent, and you were drafted by the Utah Jazz--or an equally hated franchise--how would you handle the situation? Keep in mind that you would still have the mindset of a diehard Rockets fan, which I'm sure we all have. Would you pout your way out of Utah? Would you display flashes of brilliance that disappear come playoff time, which would allow you to rake in the money while screwing over the franchise? Would you do the unthinkable and help this hated franchise to a championship? I'm sure some athletes have had to deal with this, and I'm curious as to how the Clutchfans demographic would respond.

Feel free to move to the hangout if this isn't NBA dish worthy.

2. clippy

clippy Member

Millions of dollars have a way of changing people's minds really fast. For instance, Paul Pierce was a die hard Lakers fan from Inglewood.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Job > fandom any day of the week

As Bosh said, we all got families to feed.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

They draft me, so be it.

If and when I became a FA, I may look at going to my preferred team, that being said I probably wouldn't sign with them if they were scrubs and utah was championship contenders.

5. clippy

clippy Member

I bet once you sign with a team, the ownership and your teammates make a lot more difference than the history or the former fandom. For instance, I'm a Clipper fan but I sure as hell wouldn't want to sign with them as long as Sterling is in charge.

6. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

After a while you would learn to love the organisation if they drafted you..
    not matter who

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Fixed :grin:

1 person likes this.
  8. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

That sums it up for me. It is a job, it would suck, but honestly if someone is paying me that much I have no right to complain.

That said, if I was a FA like Lebron, I'd probably be taking my talents to Houston (barring I get the same max contract) ASAP. I just wouldn't handle it like a douche.

9. Steve_Francis_rules

This is what I thought of as soon as I read the question. As unfathomable as it may be to me now, I'd probably become pretty loyal to the team that drafted me if I was treated well.

10. k-money

k-money Member

well, i just wont sign the extension and ask to be traded to houston

11. k-money

k-money Member

contract.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

go for the money now then later when you can become a free agent 'take your talents to Houston'

13. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

ugh, i GUESS i can suck it up for a few millions..

14. Mr Chuck Norris

**** No, I HATE THE JAZZ. I Would sit out the draft and wait til next year. Or I would Shaun Livingston my leg. No Way am I ever wearing that piece of **** jersey

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Only if I get a free ipad and a clause in the contract that would let me do pick up games.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If I hate them for a rivalry thing, I'd get over it. If I hate them because their management/ownership is worthy of utter contempt, like the Clippers, I'd have to do whatever I could to get out as soon as possible. No way I want to waste 4 years on the Clippers and then be held hostage by restricted free agency.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

My loyalties could be bought for the price of an NBA contract. And, I suspect, if I'm on a team, and treated well, with team mates I respect, I'd be loyal to that team. No way I pout my way out, or purposely disappear in the playoffs.

I might ask my agent to do all he could to get me out...but I'm not an ass in public nor do I give less then my best.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd take my talent to Houston the minute I became an UFA.

19. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

It would hurt, but when you enter the draft you basically sign a contract saying...I will sign with the team that drafted me, or I will sign with no team, barring a trade. Everyone has, or should have, to pay their dues. When you become an Unrestricted Free Agent, it's something you've earned and paid yoru dues to earn. Until that point, you do what you're told to do! If they want to pay me millions of dollars to do it....so be it!

On this note, I'll damn sure be taking my talents to Houston as soon as I could. This may be easier said than done because I would imagine over the years you'd become close to the team you've been playing for.

So until the time comes, I'll play for anyone as long as I'm getting paid for it. When I have my opportunity and I felt I've paid my dues, I'm off to Houston!

Pugs

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

That's funny, I was just thinking about how I would love to be an NBA player, but how there were some teams I'd absolutely dread to play for. I wouldn't want to be a Laker, because I hate Kobe and I wouldn't get any playing time, I wouldn't like the Heat, I would hate to be on the Jazz. Other than that I'd be happy.

But hey, if I'm getting paid millions of dollars to play a game I love, I'll live in Salt Lake City for a couple of years if I have to.