1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypothetical - Native Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ehsan, May 31, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

If Native Americans (assuming they are a decent-sized population and have qualified leaders) decided that they want a country, would they be entitled to it?

They are a different race, different religion(s) and have been on American soil longer than anyone else (as far as I know).

Would it be outrageous for them to demand that they form their own country, which would consist of some part of the U.S.?

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Canada has done just that.

The creation of the province Nunavut around '99-2000 was essentially done so for the Inuit which they predominantly now self govern. Doing so, many Inuit departed the Northwest Territories essentially allowing the remaining First Nation (aka Indians) population to effectively self govern the NWT.

So Canada has already done it.

It's pretty unthinkable here. I think part of the reason Canada can do it is because the land the Inuit and First Nation govern is essentially areas that few people want to live in. It's freaking cold. ;)

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Would it be right if England took over the part(s) they didn't?

4. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I don't know, but you have to take into account the English have a country and that there are no English people roaming around looking for independence.

They govern themselves internationally. Plus, lots of Americans are descendants of British (and French, African, Asian, etc) people right? So really they never completely left. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I personally think the Native Americans should be entitled to a greater degree of sovereignity and more land on the reservations they have and if they wanted to should be allowed to form their own country(s) on US soil. I doubt something like that would ever happen but I think its the least we can do for Native Americans.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

if they couldn't defend it back then, what makes you think they can defend it now.

7. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

whats done is done. i'm all for redressing previous wrongs, but such a move is likely to end up like the reservation system....hurts the natives far more than it helps.

8. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

What's it to you what they do with their country?

I said make the assumption that they can run their own country the way they like.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Given your posting history, I'm thinking this thread is a thinly veiled attempt to explain why Israel deserves to not exist. Why don't you go ahead an explain it.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Ironic that the white man used liquor to help steal the lands, and now the Indians are using Gambling and liquor to get em back.

DD

11. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Sure, strip a chunk of the US of all current technology, and let the natives develop the way they would have naturally. They must all be heart grieved that they live with the luxuries of a modern day civilization.

12. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Ugh...I gotta say that this post displays an amazing amount of ignorance and arrogance.

13. flipmode

flipmode Member

wow. just...

wow

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Ding, ding...we have a winner.

and most of us would probably agree that the Palestinians deserve their own homeland, too.

Mutually coexisting peacefully with Israel.

Of course, this is where the agreement would end.

15. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

It's nothing I'm trying to hide really, you're absolutely correct in that I'm trying to draw comparisons where applicable.

Each situation is unique obviously, but there are lessons to be learned.

But just a correction - mutually co existing with Israel is the only next step. But that's not what I'm trying to figure out. I'm trying to figure out how and why Israel, the country, exists in the first place.

The tone of Rashmon's post is alarming to me. Palestinians deserve it "too"? I think that's offensive to Palestinians.

Anyways. It's not like the past can't be corrected. Why not give Native Americans what's appropriate now? They got to go somewhere right? They're from the land right? I mean, is it that simple?

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

They're called lawyers. :D

17. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Following your reasoning, there is absolutely no reason to offer a country to the Palestinians simply because they are from there. They lost the land fair and square to the Turks, who lost it to the British, and when the British gave 1/2 of it back to them they lost it right away to the Israelis. They can't hold onto anything.

So clearly, you have convinced me that the Israelis should just annex all of the West Bank and Gaza, and kick all the Palestinians out to places like Dubai who are sympathetic. Why give land to Palestinians since they simply are from there? The Israelis are the de facto power and the Palestinians really can't do anything about it. Until the USA gives independence to Indians, then the Israelis shouldn't give independence to Palestinians.

Great logic! I would never have suggested it, but your train of thought is clear and inevitable. Thanks for clearing that up.

#17 Ottomaton, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  18. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Huh?

I don't know where you got that from since I've only asked questions and specifically made no statements.

But just to clear it up, you're saying whoever has more power should take what they can?

19. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

You've asked leading questions which indicate you think all the Jews should leave Israel. To say you aren't advocating something is incredibly disingenuous. But your logic, when looked at without prejudice, is just as useful to advocate my sarcastic position.

I'm just tweaking you for trying to justify your pro-Palestinian stance with a framework build after the fact. If you like Palestinians and hate Jews and want the Palestinians to have the land, just say it. Don't try and make up some complex tenuous reasoning to justify your natural proclivities.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The Indians lost, they were a conquered people, where do you draw the line?

History has winner and losers, the Indians lost.

And, for the record, I am 1/4th Sac and Fox from Iowa......we of the Jim Thorpe fame.

:D

DD