1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypocrisy at the Oscars - Chris Rock cries about diversity, then makes fun of Asians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 29, 2016.

1. TheresTheDagger

You folks still watch and actually CARE about the ....lol....Oscars?!?

Let me get this straight. I'm supposed to be upset a bunch of narcissistic, egocentric, self-important, actors who put on an awards show for work that is...lets face it..... really unimportant in the grand scheme of things are in a kerfuffel over racism?

WHO. GIVES. A. S___?

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The entire Chris Rock gig was a total cluster**** as far as I'm concerned. He trivialized the diversity issue with sophomoric jokes (the lynching jokes were over the line as there's NOTHING funny about lynching) and skits, used asians (and girl scouts) as comedic props and employed cynical deflection to an important issue. His act devolved into the same illogical nonsense that he showed in his "Pootie Tang" movie. Rock basically allowed the Academy to put a smiling black face out there to cover over its issues of inclusion. What's sad is that Rock had a real opportunity to go after the entrenched system of insular elitism that is the root cause of the lack of diversity in Hollywood. Instead he decided to go the Sammy Davis Jr route. I lost a great deal of respect for Rock because I thought he was far better than what he showed on Sunday.

3. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

So a comedian made fun of people?!? Get the commissioner on the phone!!

Who cares about the Oscars tho?

4. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Are Asians even upset at this?

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yes, many are.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More upset that Asians aren't in that many roles that doesn't play doctor, engineer, kung expert. More of the same with Hollywood

7. VanityHalfBlack

That stereotype about Asians being kung fu expert is reversed now. It's the white guys that know karate. Every comic book movie, every hero has some form of Martial Arts. You guys can scratch that off the list.

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

You don't speak for them.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

In what way is he speaking for asians here?

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That clip is criticizing sportscasters for hypocrisy. This is about comedians. He made fun of everyone including blacks.

The problem I see with what happened is no one talked about other races not being in hollywood.

11. val_modus

val_modus Member

Bingo, this was never a black-white issue. Minorities as a whole are excluded for many roles that are about their very own cultures or ethnicity. How many Egyptians starred in Exodus: Gods & Kings.

12. bigtexxx

Never said I did.

You appear to be very one-sided on this issue.

Can I ask - are you black by chance? Is that where your bias comes from?

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You never stand up for blacks. Never. But you sure as hell will stand up for Asians.

Get that MLK quote out of your sig. It doesn't fool anyone! Except maybe yourself.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ooooooh, race card thrown. :cool:

15. bigtexxx

16. Cranberry_Juice

From what I am seeing here is that Asians aren't allowed to be offended because they don't have it rough as black people.

The reality of it is all minority's have been discrimated at some point. It's just black people who b**** and whine the most. That's why black lives matter exist. They hide under it so they too can be racist towards other groups. As a minority myself, I have my own struggles but I don't shut down and blame others for my misgivings.

I feel like this movement for equality nowadays is just one big shame fest. Back then in the 60's it was about showing others your struggle but in a way that can be respected and admired by all groups. Now you just get a bunch of assholes shaming other people so they can get the joy of outing someone on YouTube.

17. JiantJerbil

JiantJerbil Member

Once again to you fellow "minorities", why has the topic about lack of diversity in a white owned institution switched to Asians vs Blacks, what Asians should/shouldn't be offended by, Black people are racist/whiny. Think about that for second...no, here I'll help you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide_and_rule

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DivideAndConquer

There's no doubt that minority communities have their own tensions between themselves and have different issues affecting them, but try to read in between the lines :cool:

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You think that's standing up for blacks? Hahaha. Oh man. All that means is you aren't an open KKK member.

Tex - you know when you debate me you have to bring your A game. That silly stuff doesn't work with me. I have whipped you boy before and you shy away from me, but let's tussle again as clearly you don't remember.

Standing up for blacks means showing solidarity. It means fighting for their cause.

There have been numerous ones. Black lives matter, many instances of innocent blacks being shot by police, the education system, the prison system, the black gay hiv thread, trayvon martin, kid being shot by cops, many many cases. I have never seen you stand up for blacks. i have never seen you say, we need to do something about helping change the cycle of institutional racism.

In fact, you deny it exists. Show me where you have done more than to wrap yourself in the blanket of MLK or called some aggies naughty and deserving of "neg rep"

#138 Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  19. Cranberry_Juice

You don't have to help me or any of us "minorities" with anything. The fact that you think by linking a Wikipedia page makes it better shows how asinine you are and how insensitive you are. Just because supporting Asian equality isn't the flavor of the month for you millennials, does not not make it any less important.

My gripe is the dismissal of Asians having any reason to gripe as this is just a joke. If this was 3 black kids in thier Sunday best , with the description of ready to go eat fried chicken and watermelon, you would be up in arms decrying racism. Just because a black guy makes the joke does not make it any better nor does t make it any less racist. The reality of it is in America, a black man has the right to call out any race but can't be deemed racist because he is black. As if being black makes him immune to being called a racist.

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

White actors play Jesus and Cleopatra, black American actor plays an African doctor, Keon Jeong is an Asian actor and a licensed physician who gets roles as a smart Asian doctor. Which one or which ones are the joke?