1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypocrisy at the Oscars - Chris Rock cries about diversity, then makes fun of Asians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 29, 2016.

1. JiantJerbil

JiantJerbil Member

Find it funny that problems affecting the Asian-American Community has once again been turned into a black people this and white people this... and some of you really don't understand institutionalized racism against Asians to say they shouldn't be offended by what went on at the Oscars. I'm amused also why Chris Rock has a larger backlash than Sasha Baron Cohen's bit about tiny yellow workers with small dicks... but carry on this circus show of mental gymnastics.

2 people like this.
  2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This is certainly a problem, given how quickly my concerns over Rock's lame racist bit (on a night when he was ostensibly advocating for diversity and inclusion) were dismissed in this thread.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He called Hollywood racist, not the Oscars. there is a difference. And he was referring to the jobs in actual production, not just the lack of diversity actors.

Comedians - especially black comedians - will often employ stereotypes of other races as part of their act. They make fun of everyone as well as black people. The point is that you are making fun of stereotypes as much as you are saying there is an ounce of truth in them.

Stereotypes do not equal racism. Jokes do not equal racism.

Racism is discrimination. That is what diversity is about. It's not about making jokes or stereotypes, it's about selection of people based on stereotypes.

I think people have trouble distinguishing the two.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

if rock was going to attack racism on a huge platform like he had it would have been nice to fight for all minorities. instead he mocked another for a laugh.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Stereotypes and racial jokes are as much a part of racism as anything else. Blacks can be as racist as whites, it's just as damaging but much more self-defeating.

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

7. Buck Turgidson

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So is Ali G's character borot racist? Is it racist when Chris Rock makes black jokes? How come comedians can make black stereotypical jokes, Jewish stereotypical jokes, and Mexican jokes, but when someone makes an Asian joke which isn't even that horrible (hard working and smart???) people go all up in arms.

The real problem with Chris Rock isn't that he made an Asian joke, it's that he didn't mention any other race as getting snubbed but blacks.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I do not have too much problems with comedians making jokes, but do you know what the reaction would be if a white comedian did the n word joke like Rock did in the video posted earlier? Would an Asian comedian be able to that?

10. Indaface

Indaface Member

Here's Louis CK doing it in front of another black comedian

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hRDXeinEUJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I think there have been Asian comedians who have already used the n-word. Check out Aziz Ansari

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think Louis CK is quite funny. Was just in LA doing a lot of shows at the Comedy Store, I stayed next door, just missed it due to other commitments. Chris Rock was there as well.

13. Buck Turgidson

If you haven't seen it, check out his monologue from when he hosted SNL. Takes balls to go on national TV and spend a couple of minutes joking about child molestation.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Wouldn't it be better if it were equality for all, #AllLivesMatter?

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

"Good" stereotypes can be just as offensive.

Just using the N-word isn't necessarily racist in a comedy setting, Aziz doing an N-word joke was probably pretty nuanced and in context.

"Asians good at math" and "Asians have small dicks" is just so lazy. Like I said earlier in thread, it's like a non-black comedian doing a "black people love fried chicken and watermelon" bit.

Personally, the jokes themselves aren't offensive - they're just dumb. I'm just annoyed by the double standard against Asians. There's just a free reign to attack for whatever reason. It seems the PC culture don't really apply to Asians.

Again, I refer you to this:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/linsanity-postgame-cold-open/n13399

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

everyone's a victim........ buncha whiny b****es.

18. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd say it is more akin to joking about the prowess of black athletes in addition to fried chicken and watermelon. And I've seen many comedians of all walks crack those jokes. The thing about these kinds of jokes is how they are delivered. Not every comedian can crack such a joke with Luis C.K.'s wit or Bill Burr's blunt-but-not-hateful-ness.

N-bomb jokes are poor examples in the Rock case because he didn't drop epithets. He riffed on the model minority myth and followed it up with a rip on the years old controversy over labor in factories assembling iPhones.

Too often racial issues do become black and white in the U.S.. I don't believe it happens because other groups are deemed non-important. I think it is because of slavery and the caste-system therein. The shadow of the peculiar institution darkens all our politics.

And I agree that Rock screwed the pooch by making this about black opportunity. This is about all opportunity for all talented, hard-working people. Not just the black and white ones. I am even more disappointed the BLM kids didn't do a careful study of the civil rights movement to not the avoidance of nationalist-leaning slogans that the white backlash could easily distort and co-opt. It was a "civil rights" movement; not a "black rights" one.

19. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know. All this "take our country back", "Obama is dividing us", and "make America great again" bull****. Stop whining!

20. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I stay up all night scared to death of losing my religious and firearm liberties. It's never been harder to a be a good, Christian gun owner. We're constantly under attack by the government and lamestream media (especially that tyrant Melissa Harris-Perry).

:( :( :( :( :(