1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypocrisy at the Oscars - Chris Rock cries about diversity, then makes fun of Asians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Feb 29, 2016.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. Rock said on 60 minutes that people were using the joke as a free license to drop n-bombs, not because he felt the joke itself was racist.

"I think a lot of people were thinking in those terms and hadn't been able to say it. By the way, I've never done that joke again, ever, and I probably never will," says Rock. "'Cause some people that were racist thought they had license to say n-----. So, I'm done with that routine."

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Random aside, since this year is all about racism and diversity. But, why do they separate categories for actors and actresses? It makes sense in sports where physiological differences would skew outcomes if men and women were pitted together. But, I don't see a relevance in acting. Lump all the actors and actresses together.

1 person likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Then there aren't as many awards to go around.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

There's a significant difference between institutional racism and jokes by a comedian about race. Only a clown show poster like bigotexxx would start this thread.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Asians are underrepresented in Hollywood, and yet Chris Rock gets a free pass in making fun of them? We need higher standards than that, as a society.

6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

The republican <s>roastmasters</s> candidates aren't really helping with the higher standard thing too much at the moment.

I heard a soundbite from Rubio today:
    "Donald Trump likes to sue people. He should sue the person that did that to his face."

It's a funny line but what's funnier is the state of the republican party.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

8. CometsWin

Yes, comedians have license to tell jokes about anyone they want including asians, jews, whites, blacks, and anyone else. You need higher standards as a human being because somehow, inexplicably so, the only time you see racism is when a black comedian makes a joke.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm more offended by how lazy the jokes were. It's 2016 and the only racist Asian jokes you can tell at the Oscars is "good at math" and "small penis" jokes? At least have some nuance.

Can you imagine if it was Ken Jeong was presenting and made a "black people eat fried chicken" joke?

10. CometsWin

I thought Rock was knocked off his game some by trying to make the points about diversity. He obviously felt pressure to do it but he didn't integrate the message well. I did appreciate some of the shock value though. I think the rape and lynching thing really made people uncomfortable which was awesome.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You could have Best Actor, and Second-Best Actor. :p

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I'm kind of shocked by the responses in this thread. I can't help but believe that some of you guys are just fixating on the OP.

Rock used his hosting gig as a platform to decry Hollywood racism. He then devoted 40 seconds to a really lame, lazy, racist Asian bit. You guys really see NO incongruity there?

There are a lot of people rightfully annoyed over this.

13. bigtexxx

bingo.

well put

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Rock making a lame joke about Asians makes me think he is a shi**y comedian, not that black people don't have trouble getting jobs and winning awards in Hollywood.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

So, using the "relax, it's a joke" defense, does this mean we can make comments about black players eating fried chicken and watermelon while washing it down with malt liquor?

16. solodolo

solodolo Member

Or White players ****ing cousins or sisters . It's a joke

17. bigtexxx

We as a society should be above making jokes whose punchline is racist.

...especially during an event that is trying to highlight a problem of perceived racism.

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Asian people do too, and acknowledging that the bit was tone-deaf and hypocrital given the (unofficial) theme of the event doesn't detract from or diminish the struggles faced by blacks in Hollywood and elsewhere. Get over the thread starter and look at the issue at face-value.

And c'mon; Rock's a GREAT comedian. He's better than that.

19. CometsWin

Yes, I encourage you to do so. Do it at work too. Freedom of speech!

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You do realize this is the thesis of the OP, right?

Chris Rock made a joke about Asians, therefore his complaints about black struggles in Hollywood are less credible.