1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hypocracy

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Steve_Francis_rules, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

Warning:
    I will be whining about the officiating in Game 5.

Does anyone else think it is ridiculous that the referees constantly look away when Shaq pounds and elbows players all over the court, only to call two ridiculous offensive fouls against the Sixers. Mutombo was called for a stupid foul while fighting for post position, then Fox flopped his way into getting a Sixer called for an offensive foul thirty feet from the rim. I hate NBA referees.

------------------

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

That is one of the main reasons the Lakers are champions right now. If Shaq was called for those obvious offensive fouls, the Lakers would be much more beatable.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

RITQAIOCLHTPFOTFWBPTD

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

. . . and if Mutumbo/Gieger were called for all of their obvious defensive fouls, by the end of the first quarter we'd be stuck watching Horace Grant and Todd MacCullough duke it out for the rest of the game.

------------------
    "I always thought it was something that went around my house"
    - World B. Free on Defence

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

And if all the correct fouls were called, players would be forced to change their games, and turn basketball back into a game of skill. Sounds good to me.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

RITQAIOCLHTPFOTFWBPTD

5. Steve_Francis_rules

Definite edge to the Sixers.

------------------

6. red

red Contributing Member

if i cant find a decent job in the next couple of years than i will become a nba ref and justice will be delivered.

1. i will be the 1st ref to eject another ref
    2. i will be the first ref to call a foul on shaq everytime he dunks through someone
    3. i will be the first ref to eject malone and stockton during warmups

and i will be loved by all

------------------

7. M0J0

M0J0 Member

SOUR

[​IMG]

------------------

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Hell Yes [​IMG] You have my support.

------------------

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

ZRB, common if all things are equall the their really is no comparison to the tallent on the Lakers and 76ers. How many times did we see the Allen Iverson carry the ball or travel? I saw it over and over. For every offensive foul that was not called against Shaq there were fouls that were not called against people for hangin all over him when ever the ball went into the post.

Lets go back to game one in overtime. There is only a few minutes left in the game. Both Philly and LA were fouling people hard everytime the other side had the ball but the refs were calling nothing. They left their whistles in their pockets. The Lakers had a 5pt lead and then they call Horry for a moving screan. Was it a moving screan you ask? Yes but the call was totally inconsistant with the way they were calling the game up to that point. AI on the next possesion scored. The next time down the court they called Shaq for a foul on AI. Once again it was a foul but totally inconsistant with how they were calling it against Philly since Philly was fouling just as bad and not getting any calls. Those two calls changed the whole overtime and allowed Philly to steal game one.

I saw in other games where AI would pick the ball up jump over a couple of legs take two more steps (traveling) and then put his hand in the chest of the defender to creat space (offensive foul) while taking his little floater. Was that ever called you ask? well of course not.

So if you ref games right by the book then AI would have been out of most games right along with Shaq.

If you really want a scape goat for the 76ers loss why don't you try every player on the team outside of AI, Motumbo and Snow. How many times during the series did we see the only players scoring for Philly was one of those three. The Lakers supporting cast did a much better job. Fischer, Fox, Horry Lue all were much more active in the series than the 76ers supporting players so why not take a little time to point that out.

------------------

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited June 17, 2001).]

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

1) The Lakers role/bench players were FAR superior to the Sixers.

2) I am not a conspiracy theorist. The Refs miss calls on both sides.

3) If for no other reason than it is a flagrant blow to a defenders face, Shaq should be called for an offensive foul when his elbows strike an opponent above their shoulders during his pet moves. (This assumes the defender is fairly vertical and not reaching forward).

4) The word is spelled "hypocrisy".

I feel very strongly about 3. The officials have always let certain players establish marquee moves (ie the "pro walk"), but Shaq's elbows have severe injury consequences. Shaq's elbows are lethal and I don't care if he has been allowed to do it since he was 5. [​IMG]

------------------
    Raef to Rocks in '01-'02!

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited June 17, 2001).]

11. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

As much as I wanted the sixers to win, and as much as I hated that Shaq got away with too many offensive fouls, you have to acknowledge the incredible play of the Lakers supporting cast.

Horry, Fox and Fisher were just HUGE. Not since the Rockets run have supporting players made such a difference. They were the difference in the series, and we have to give them their props.

------------------

12. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Not to mention, but after Game One the Sixers weren't exactly AMAZING from the freethrow line, either. They didn't give THEMSELVES as much opportunity to win the game as they could have.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

13. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

SLC, ain't that the truth.

The Sixers were just begging to be fouled late in the game. For all their hustle, they just stunk at the free throw line.

They hit 80% and they are in play. But 65%?

Fuggetaboutit.

------------------

14. mhan

mhan Member

if you would notice on all those "elbows to mutumbo's face" moves by shaq, never once is he sticking out his elbows. he has the ball over his head with his arms bent for better purchase on it. mutumbo is LEANING in, face first so he gets hit. that isn't illegal contact on shaq, since he is allowed to pivot and he's really not using those elbows to clear space.

you'll also notice that not once did mutumbo whine that he was getting charged into with no call. in game 3 calls 3 and 4 on shaq were both questionable (no question at all on foul 6, that was a great call all the way), and even matt geiger questioned them.

what shaq does is LEGAL, which is what is so freaking scary about him. it is just that he is so big and strong that it looks unfair out there.

------------------