1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hurricane Party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deji McGever, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Attention Austin Clutch fans and Harvey Refugees:

Shameless plug: My band, Kids From Nowhere, will be playing the Little Longhorn Saloon in Austin from 6 to 8 pm this Saturday night, opening up for Jake Penrod and his Million Dollar Cowboys.

Free ribs will be provided by Honkey Tonk Ribs.

As the band's current Texan reincarnation is composed 100% of people originally from Corpus, we also expect a large number of Hurricane Harvey refugees that will be crashing in our places. Please help me from being outnumbered by Spurs fans.

While I usually like to jump up and down and sweat for my pay, I will be playing sitting down for this one, by doctors orders, as I am still cognitively and physically impaired from a bad accident in mid-July that left me hospitalized. I'm also having a hard time remembering the lyrics to new songs so I'll have a cheat sheet handy.

I think it will likely be a good night out -- and as I am playing Happy Hour and free ribs will be provided, a very economical one for a Saturday night in Austin.

jbasket, CCity Zero, Kevooooo and 3 others like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

"She put a tongue in my mouth full of second-hand crack..."

Who among us can deny this has happened to us? Not a one, my friends, not a one ... *salute*

Seriously, reading what you typed, I hope you feel better, and I loved the sound of "Bone Coast". That's one of those you want to lie in a hammock on a porch and doze off, too. Really good song. :)

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow, did not know (or did not remember hearing) about the accident. Godspeed to the healing process. Take good care and enjoy the show. Not impossible that I'll be able to catch one of your Austin shows in years future (will be visiting family off and on).

4. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Thanks Dr...when I introduce that song I usually say the thing I loved that Guy Clark used to say: "It's mostly true."

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Thanks B-Bob. I'm learning all about the joys of personal injury attorneys, FMLA, and short term disability. Since I have considerable cognitive issues 1.5 months after, there are concerns it could take a long time to get to normal, or worse, that it may never be 100%. I'm just glad I'm alive and can still play guitar, even if it's tough learning or writing new songs.

CometsWin and B-Bob like this.
  6. Roscoe Arbuckle

Last time I did a Hurricane party, it was atop a parking garage in Midtown watching Brennans burn. We finally went to shelter when we looked like the Banana Splits. (as in when they started all falling on their asses)

7. Buck Turgidson

Won't be making it in to Austin this weekend with the weather and all, but I'll look for yall next time.

Play some bingo for me.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I'll try and make it! Was looking for something to do this weekend.

9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey Deji,

Are you familiar with Sam Baker? He's an Austin singer-songwriter that also suffered pretty significant cognitive/physical injuries (Shining Path bomb in Peru). There was a great interview with him on Fresh Air-

Here's a great song by him-

#9 gifford1967, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Deji McGever likes this.