1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hurricane Ivan now up to 160mph winds

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Saint Louis, Sep 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I knew it. Jeff is Ed Brandon. Rock on.

:D

2. micah1j

micah1j Member

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I have actually come to really enjoy http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/ particularly because it has all of the latest model tracks for forecasting.

It made a pretty good bump to the west today, but, looking at the satellite now, you can see it wobbling back west-northwest. You can also see the banding being squished in the upper right quadrant a bit as a result of that high pressure ridge that is extending from the Florida peninsula to the Bahamas. It is also the reason it has slowed to under 10mph.

But, the low pressure system they've been predicting for days has moved out of the Mississippi valley and is moving toward the Gulf. As it does, that high will move east and weaken and allow Ivan to track north. At this point, the real issue is how long it will take before it makes that turn and how much of its easterly direction it will recover before making landfall.

In reality, the forecast track has only shifted a couple hundred miles to the west in the past few days, but that obviously makes a big difference to people in Florida and Alabama in particular.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah, with more hair. :)

5. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

for now ;)

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

which side of the hurricane is more powerful and damaging?

isn't it the S/W side more powerful and the N/E more wet?

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The upper right quadrant of the storm generally contains the most rain and wind. Anything front side from middle to the right is going to be the worst.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Along with what Jeff said, the strongest wind forces are around the eye, but the most vicious quadrant is the NE quadrant. It's here that you find the majority of tornados being generated.

9. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Looks like the Cubans got lucky.

Will the storm be stronger when it hits the States now that it won't hit the mountains in Cuba? Or will it have recovered it's strength regardless?

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

hmm i wonder if nashville will end up getting any rain out of this

11. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

A-*****NG-MEN !

12. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Hmm, looks like Florida State is going to get raped twice in a week.

Man, what an amazing game that was; loudest sporting event I've EVER been to (the last 2 minutes and overtime that is). Unreal.

Stupid hurricane was supposed to cancel classes here and most assumed it would (like me), so I'm finishing an English paper at 3:30 in the freakin' morning.

So this darn storm is headed straight for the permanent address; hard to imagine a hurricane in West-central Alabama.

13. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

It looks like more and more that it is heading for my boyhood home of Mobile, AL. We watched the Weather Channel in Frisco this weekend and every time I saw the cone of Ivan's future heading, Mobile is steadily moving to the center of it. Ivan's track is similar to the one that Frederic took back in 1979, a hurricane we rode out in the hall of our modest house while the winds howled outside. I was 11 and I was scared to death. We didn't have power for over two months after the storm and we had to drive over to my grandparents' house for showers and hot meals.

[​IMG]

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this scares me. everytime i check the computer models, they show tracks further and further west.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Max,

I know.

It seems the dreaded turn to the North might not happen until it gets to Texas.

DD

16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Does anybody know if Plywood sales have started to increase in the New Orleans area?

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

they're saying there's about a 5% chance of it hitting the Texas coast. of course, in a few hours, that may be a 15% chance.

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

My wife works with a bunch of people in NOLA, and they're all stressed out about it. It looks like it has finally taken that turn to the NW though. I'm saying Alabama.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member