1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HURRICANE CLAUDETTE...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HectikG81, Jul 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

HEY I SAW THIS AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S COMING UP OUR WAY....

[​IMG]

sorry for the big image...

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Looks like it might hit Houston just in time for the Dave concert next Wednesday.

3. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Sweet..Im going to Tallahassee, Florida tomorrow for a PT concert. It wont interupt my schedule.

4. mfclark

mfclark Member

PT - Porcupine Tree? Who the heck are they?

The Tallahassee concert scene has gone down the tubes in 2003...nothing decent since the end of last year here.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

no one know where this thing will go... the last one took a turn up north, it's a crap shoot....

6. MoBalls

Brit band/Prog Rock .... dont get a lot of airplay in the US ......this will be a warm up concert for them .... check them out www.porcupinetree.com ......you might like them...... they have been around for years ...gonna stop and have dinner tonight in New Orleans......

7. underoverup

underoverup Member

Anyone remember Tropical Storm Claudette that hit in 79? I was to young to remember it, but I recall my parents talking about the incredible amount of rain. It set the single day record in the US with 43" in Alvin-- thats almost our total rainfail for a year! I hope were not in for a repeat. :eek:

8. MoBalls

As long as it doesnt hit before Sunday....

9. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Yes and no. They have gotten much better at deciding which steering currents will control any particular storm. They knew that TS Bill would make a hard turn north, but this one has a high pressure ridge to the north of it that's keeping it on a western path. That being said, there is still a large degree of inaccuracy involved. Still to be determined is how the low pressure system that may move down here will affect the location of landfall of Claudette.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah...thanks for that!

i'm calling b.s. on the "rain or shine" policy in the event of a hurricane.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It'd be cool if it away from us (well, not cool for where it hit), but it produced some badass thunderstorms. I was there two years ago when it thundered and what not the entire show...it was badass.

Look at that, I'm already typing like I live in Houston!

12. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Used to live in Florida, and had tornadoes and hurricanes all the bloody time. My only advice is stay away from trailer parks, they're like damned windstorm magnets...

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah! i was at that show too! dave commented on how God seemed to be helping out his show with a light show of His own. that was amazing...

14. Buck Turgidson

Those of us non yuppie-fan-club-member-scum who are in possession of lawn seats do not share your enthusiasm. :mad: ;)

15. junglerules

junglerules Member

No crap! I think i'm still squeezing the rain water out of my clothes from that one! It was an experience, to say the least. A Beautiful lightning display, curbed somewhat by the recurring reminder that we, out on the lawn, were all standing under huge metal light fixtures!

Glad I lived to tell about it, though. A great show, from under a tarp flopping in the heavy wind and rain.

16. Buck Turgidson

Wasn't at that show, but was at the Floyd show at Rice Stadium back in the day...had a great time, but since I don't take drugs anymore I really don't think I'd like to experience that again.

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Every year, I read the NOAANHC site every day. I find forcasting storms really interesting.

As the season goes on, the various forcasting models (software) actually get much more accurate - so much so that they began adding a 5-day forcast track this year which they never had prior to this because they were so iffy.

Last year, by the end of the season, they were nailing long-range forcasting.

The problem is that it takes a few storms and a general overview of the summer weather patterns for the models to begin to show accuracy. We saw that with the tropical storm that hit Louisiana. Also, as the season wears on, one or two of the four major models almost always begin to show themselves to be the most accurate of the bunch.

With this one, a lot will depend on when the front that is heading our way gets here. The sooner it gets here and the longer it remains, the more difficult it will be for the storm to turn northward.

18. mfclark

mfclark Member

Just wanna clear that up quickly:

If the front arrives sooner and then leaves, it'll keep the storm moving more west than north, as the high pressure system currently steering it to the west will be able to build back in. Similarly, if the front didn't make it to Texas or was well delayed in doing so, the storm would continue on a more westerly path.

If the front arrives and lingers, then the front is likely to draw the storm further north, putting the Gulf Coast in greater danger. The longer it remains, the less of the influence of the steering Bermuda high, and the further north the storm is likely to go.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Actually,

The front will draw it towards itself...it is a low pressure front and pulls things before it.

So, if it stalls out over central Texas it could pull the storm northward....I expect people in Corpus Christi will be heading inland around Saturday.

DD

20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I predict a bit higher than Corpus Christi........around Port Lavaca.

The forward speed is likely to slow as it gets into the Gulf of Mexico.

The prediction contest needs to close fairly soon............... Thursday afternoon at 4 pm?