1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hunting rifle recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockbox, Jan 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm in the market for a hunting rifle for less than $1000 with a scope. I will not shoot anything bigger than a Texas deer or hog. I'm looking for gun and caliber recommendation. Thanks in advance.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Remington 700. People spend too much on scopes these days. Leupold VX-II or better is fine 3-9x40 to keep it low and close to the bore. Leupold STD mounts and rings.

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

As for caliber, I'd go with .30-06.....more than enough for Texas deer and hog, but a HUGE range of factory ammo with easy availability everywhere ammo is sold. There's a solid reason it's the most popular rifle cartridge, and if you get the opportunity to hunt any other NA big game, you'll still have a solid choice.

For the gun, I'd go with a Series 2 Weatherby Vangaurd with a synthetic stock. The Vangaurd has a long history with educated hunters on being an excellent value. Weatherby used to offer a sub-MOA version of the Vangaurd that generally sold for around a thousand bucks, and it was widely regarded as the most accurate rifle in it's price class. With the newer series 2, Weatherby is now guaranteeing all Vangaurds to provide sub-MOA accuracy. It lists for a $599, and has both a mauser style action and a user adjustable trigger down to 2.5 pounds. It is far and away the best value in hunting rifles today. It isn't even close.

For a scope, 3X9's are very popular and widely available; if you think you might take some longer shots, a 4.5X14 might be more appropriate. You can spend a fortune on quality optics, and if you can afford it, there is nothing finer than looking through great glass, but you can get a nice scope in your price range as well. Do NOT go cheap on the scope though. Remember that a larger objective (front of the scope) along with quality coated glass allows in more light and will make your experience much better in low light conditions--dawn and dusk when you are much more likely to actually see game on the move. However, larger scopes add weight and size, so there are tradeoffs. I definitely recommend researching scopes online, then finding them in a store and looking through them. If you are really saving your pennies, you can then go back and buy the scope online. I highly recommend opticsplanet.com for both research and prices. Leupold makes a great scope. I personally prefer Zeiss for bang for the buck; their prices have come down on the conquest series, and you can find one roughly in your price range if matched with the aforementioned rifle.

The last scope mount I bought was a DNZ dednutz that comes highly rated and is unique in that the mount and rings are all one piece. I've been really pleased with it.

I just checked my e-mail, and I have a 10% off coupon at opticsplanet that expires in a week. Email me through the board if you want it..........I can't guarantee that it will work though as it may be tied to my username. Their prices are already usually really good.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I agree with CaseyH's recommendation completely. Remington Model 700 has been the most popular rifle for decades because it's a great gun. Very accurate, very reliable, reasonable to repair.

As for calibers, I have a simple rule: Make sure you buy a caliber with ammunition that they will carry at a feed store in a small town. For deer and hog, those are usually .270 Win, .30-06, and .308.

5. Bandwagoner

just gonna mention some tradeoffs

.243 vs .30-06 (no matter which rifle)

.243 will kill any deer or boar in Texas at any responsible range. I dropped a >400 pounder at 150 yards.

.243 will have less recoil

.243 is shorter, thus the action on the rifle is shorter, thus your rifle is lighter

Vanguard is made overseas by Howa. (Remington 700 is made in usa.) It is not a Mauser action, does not have controlled feed. Sub-moa guarantee is marketing, vanguards, savage, and Rem700's have been shooting sub-moa for years with premium ammo. They all have adjustable triggers. Remington 700 is the most popular by far of these. They are all very good.

disagree

#6 Bandwagoner, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  6. Bandwagoner

If you decide on a .30 caliber, I would go with .308 for shorter action and lighter rifle. That's just me though.

7. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

30-06 rounds are too expensive to practice with. Get one that chambers 308, which is good enough for any game in North America.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I thought 30-06 rounds are cheaper or the same price as 308. Am I wrong about that?

9. Pole

Perhaps a small shoat, but a boar at >400 yards with a .243 is hardly responsible.

I agree that the .243 is a fine round, will have less recoil, and will often relate to a lighter rifle, but I still recommend the .30-06 for the reasons I stated.

I disagree that all production rifles are shooting sub-MOA with the possible exception of some of the savages. I do see that Remington now allows user adjustment of their triggers.....used to be factory only. I've shot, owned, and used several Remingtons.......an ADL, a BDL, a 788, and they are all fine rifles. I still maintain the Weatherby is a much better value.

10. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

30-06 is a larger round and usually cost more, at least where I'm at. Have you considered a Ruger M77 in 308. Completely made in the US. I love mine, but only used it at the range.

11. Pole

Depends on the load and where you buy them. They both enjoy large economies of scale and are generally pretty cheap...

12. Bandwagoner

they are pretty close in price for new factory premium hunting ammo.

You can find more deals on surplus .308 because it is still so popular worldwide as a military round.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Who really practices that much with their deer rifle anyway? I doubt I shoot mine more than 50 times per year, during years when I hunt, and I rarely pull it out of the safe when I don't. I have a .223 and a .22 for "practice". I sight in my deer rifle and put enough rounds through it to be comfortable, but that's about it.

14. Bandwagoner

Remington 700 have always had adjustable triggers. Not sure what model you had or used. Also I shot it at 150 yards, it weighed in excess of 400 pounds. I guess you got those switched?

Yes, cost of ammo for this type of rifle really shouldn't be a factor. The premium ammo you will be hunting with will be expensive no matter the caliber. The only non performance aspect would be what weslinder already mentioned, availability.

15. Prince

Prince Member

i'm selling my benelli r1. in tip-top shape for 100. it comes with scope, 200Yards. and with spare magazine , 5 and 10.

1 person likes this.
  16. Pole

17. Prince

Prince Member

sorry typo. it's 1000. :)

18. Bandwagoner

I have owned a 788 since I was a kid. Whoever put an aftermarket green stock on the one you had should be beaten. My stock is very pretty despite being beech.

19. Pole

He was my brother-in-law; his family owned about 2,000 acres between Cotulla and Freer, and another 4,500 or so between Freer and Laredo. He's no longer with us, so he can't be beaten. I never owned the gun, but I got to use it before I had my first rifle of my own, and for the longest time, it was all I knew.........I was pretty fond of it. And although I chose--and generally grab first--a .30-06 as my first rifle, I did enjoy shooting that little 788 in .243.