1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Huge gif in game threads

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Bandwagoner, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

People are going on reddit where users post gifys, then taking the much larger gif versions and posting them in game threads.

20 meg gifs really sucks when you don't expect it and someone posts 2 or 3 of them. the gif format sucks, link to the gify, don't post the huge .gif

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed! When I open the page on my phone it slows everything down and it takes a while just to toggle back to the previous page.

Probably the best way to handle this, until people learn, will be to report these posts and describe why. Then the mods can delete/modify the posts and explain things to the poster who's doing it.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nothing worse than folks who quote GIFs, Vine, videos & large pics.

STOP QUOTING THEM! :mad:
    or spoiler it at least

4. Bandwagoner

Those aren't good, but 20 meg gifs will slow the page to a crawl until it fully loads like this

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9396668&postcount=1561

Reporting only works if the mods agree this sort of thing should be avoided or spoilered.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I don't want to be mean to the guy (the gifs are nice after all), but it is almost always zeeshan2. I tried asking him to spoiler them at least, but it looks like it didn't work.

If you see this, no hard feelings bro

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, that's Zeeshan!

If the page is still loading after 5 seconds or so, I just stop it, and yeah most of the times it's GIFs like those. Terrible.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm not so sure this is a problem at all with browser speed.

I'm pretty sure the browser only downloads one copy of the identical image URL, not one per post. It then places it in the cache.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Totally agree, this can be very annoying when going through the game threads.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

But if they quote it while posting to a new page . . .

10. heypartner

Still wouldn't download twice. The image URL placed in the browser cache is from the source server, and independent of where on cfnet it was placed.

11. Bandwagoner

What does it matter? 50MB downloads that try to instantly play slow down the page. Youtube videos of the play aren't that big and they have audio AND they aren't autoplay.

gifs are stupid

12. heypartner

I was not disagreeing with you.

I was addresses another comment by J.R. He said that the effect multiplies when people reply to the image and don't delete it in the response. And essentially blamed responders for contributing to the problem. This is not true, due to browser caching.

I merely said that once an img is seen by your browser, additional postings of the same image will not make performance worse for the browser.

13. Bandwagoner

That isn't the case for me. I use my phone/tablet for game threads and if someone quotes that on a new page it slows it to a crawl just as bad as the first time.

14. heypartner

If it is the first time you've ever seen the image, then you are right.

Are you saying your browser doesn't support caching? I highly doubt that. If so, get another browser, that simple; otherwise, your phone is charging you extra data downloads vs caching...and that would be advice for anyone, whether you come to cfnet or not.

15. Bandwagoner

No, I'm saying it bogs down my phone/tablet when people post huge gifs. which sucks in a thread that moves fast and I reload often. If you like gifs and it doesn't mess with your phone, that is fine, I just don't.

16. heypartner

I never disagreed with this. I said reloading the page or viewing the same img on another page will not bog down your browser, since it uses a cache.

I wasn't disagreeing with your comment. I was responding to J.R.'s comment

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

psssshh just upgrade and get a phone/tablet/computer from this decade. IBMs and blackberrys been out of style

18. Bandwagoner

I have a blackberry? How the hell is it running android 5.0.1

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's annoying as well on desktop as it mucks up the formating and readability of the page. I usually just exit out of the thread that has them

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Well I am sorry guys. That's my fault and I apologize. I will do my best not to do that. Apologies guys

2 people like this.