1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HuffPo: Obamacare rollout has been a complete disaster.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Oct 18, 2013.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But of course you're unable to back your disagreement with any facts or figures to show your disagreement is in anyway sound.

Sorry the GOP has offered up no real alternatives. Doc Tal, your willful lack of understanding or sticking your head in the sand or whatever reason it is that you're claiming to believe things that aren't true isn't really helpful, and doesn't make your claims at all persuasive or even worthy of discussion. It only shows that you aren't willing to face reality in this situation.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Sane republicans start to face reality.

The Reality Is 'Some Americans' Lives Have Gotten Better' With Obamacare

Even some Republicans are grudgingly saying that the health care law is already too established for a wholesale repeal, and with thousands of uninsured signing up daily, that option grows more distant each week.

“It’s not in dispute that many Americans’ lives are being disrupted in an important way by this law,” said Representative Scott Rigell, Republican of Virginia. “Is it also true that some Americans’ lives have gotten better? Yes, and to not acknowledge that is to deny reality.”

3. Classic

Classic Member

For sure.

The reality is that the chips are still falling into place for many many people.

4. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Notice that I said "real plan" in my post.

5. mc mark

Awesome!

Kentucky Governor b****slaps his own senator.

Kentucky Governor To Mitch McConnell: Get Your Facts Straight On Obamacare

"This is beyond fixing. It needs to be pulled out root and branch and we need to start over," McConnell said during an interview on Fox's "On The Record With Greta Van Susteren." "It's been a catastrophe for health care and for the economy at large."

But the governor of McConnell's home state came to Capitol Hill on Thursday with a vastly different message: the health care law is working, and people in Kentucky can't get enough of it.

"I have a U.S. senator who keeps saying Kentuckians don't want this. Well, the facts don't prove that out," Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear (D) told reporters.

Beshear said more than 550,000 people have visited the state's Obamacare enrollment website since it launched on Oct. 1. More than 180,000 have called into the health care call center and about 69,000 people have signed up, or about 1,000 Kentuckians per day. Of those who have signed up, he said, 41 percent are under the age of 35.

"There is a tremendous pent-up demand in Kentucky for affordable health care," Beshear said. "People are hungry for it."

The governor also boasted of the law's economic benefits to the state. Over the next eight years, he said, it will generate $15 billion for Kentucky's economy and create 17,000 new jobs.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I had to call for a second time today but the phone rep got me in on-line and I got us signed up. It took about an hour. It is a pretty complex set of choices that I can see the average person would have trouble with. It probably would help to have an experienced health insurance broker's assistance. We will be on virtually the same Blue Cross plans we had with the addition of preventative care coverage for me. The cost would be about the same except we qualify (for probably just next year) for a pretty beefy tax credit.

Works for me.

7. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Thanks for sharing your experience dubious.

8. mc mark

Bigotexxx faints

via TPM --

As Obamacare Sign-Ups Surge, So Does Conservative Rage

It is amazing to witness the sheer depths of rage, denial and disgust many people experience as they see millions of people gaining access to affordable health care for the first time. Back on the 31st I wrote this overview which outlined how more than 9 million people now have health care coverage because of the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare). It now seems like the number is more like 10 million (more on that in a moment).

This evening I mentioned this number on Twitter and saw the full force of denial and outrage as many anti-Obamacare diehards made first contact with the actual number of Americans who've gained coverage under the program. More though, it was clear how in the absence of a dead in the water website to cry crocodile tears over, anti-Obamacare hardliners have suddenly gotten a whole lot angrier about Obamacare.

After an expected surge of sign-ups in late December, just over 2.1 million people have purchased ACA-compliant health care policies through the federal and state health care exchanges. A bit more than half came through the now-mainly-functional healthcare.gov website (which covers 36 states) and the rest came from the 14 states which established their own exchanges. That relative disparity is due both to the early problems with the federal website and active efforts to sabotage enrollment in private insurance in Republican run states.

Next there are currently rough 4.3 million people who have been enrolled in Medicaid through Medicaid expansion. A 3.9 million number is still being used in many reports. But that's a number as of 11/30. Charles Gaba is compiling together publicly available reports from different states and currently has the number at 4.3 million - not a surprising number given how much sign-up activity there was in December. The state by state breaks in this spreadsheet are very illuminating.

Notably, we also know the number of Americans who have been prevented from getting coverage because Republican governors and/or state legislatures who refused to participate in Medicaid expansion. That's 5 million people.

So if the Supreme Court had decided differently or if most but not all (Kasich, Snyder, Brewer, et al.) Republican governors had not refused to participate we might be talking about a number in the neighborhood of 15 million newly covered people.

Next there's a number that's been in effect for a couple years now and no one seems to want to discuss: roughly 3.1 million young adults under the age of 26 who now remain covered under their parents policies under a key provision of the ACA. This went into effect in September 2010. And the number of covered young adults in that age bracket grew steadily over the next two years. Here's a good overview from Money magazine from June 2012.

So let's do some simple math. 2.1M + 4.3M + 3.1M = 9.5 million covered.

So how does it get to 10 million? What none of these tabulations take into account are people who bought ACA-compliant policies directly from insurance carriers as opposed to purchasing them from private carriers via the exchanges. A lot of people did this and there was actually an aggressive push to get people to do so while the federal exchange site remained basically dead in the water. There is no tally of this number yet and will require a survey of carriers throughout the country. But I suspect it is certainly in the hundreds of thousands. And thus the round number of 10 million.

Now, as I said up at the top, there are a lot of Obamacare dead-enders out there who just blow a gasket when they make first contact with these numbers. The first claim is that Medicaid expansion somehow doesn't count. Or it doesn't count if a 24 year old is now covered under their parents policy because well that happened a while ago or well, something.

The best dead-ender argument is that well, maybe these people who've signed up for subsidized private insurance policies won't end up paying their premiums. When the arguments get down to this level you know you're dealing with a deep and intense form of denial. I mean, what if all these people change their mind next month and decide they don't want the coverage after all? What if Obamacare is so bad they all die in the Spring? What if Spartacus had an airplane? If you really, really are hoping for bad news you can come up with anything to keep hope, as it were, alive.

And then finally, these numbers are just more administration lies. Because, well, because. Here's where Gaba's spreadsheet is so helpful. It has the breakdown for private insurance and Medicaid expansion in numbers in every state with a link to an independent news source reporting the numbers.

These are the numbers. Lots of people have partisan or ideological or in many cases deeply emotional needs not to believe them. But these are the numbers.

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I've been trying to sign up my parents since the day the website launched. Gave up after a few weeks of trying.

Tried again a couple of weeks ago and it went as smoothly as possible. My parents were paying $900 a month for some horrible coverage. The rate went up to $1050 a month, but its a really good plan. They also qualified for a large credit which brings their monthly commitment down significantly.

Thanks President Obama!

10. Raven

Raven Member

Like I've been saying all along, the only reason GOPbots are still harping on this is to increase donations and voter turnout. Obamacare is here to stay, forever.

;)

11. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

So with the credit, that's more coverage for less money? May I ask how much the credit is?

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What is so cool and yet so threatening to the more selfish of the one percent eite and their allies among ordinary conservative/libertarian types is that the ten million and growing number of folks, many of whom are relatively politically unaware or even Fox News deceived, are going to have a very personal important experience with government helping them in their daily lives. This can't be countered by the standard conservative/libertarian spin of government or Obama is the enemy.

Given this, the rage and desperate fear of health care for the deprived is understandable on the part of this elite and their allies.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This can also be read that less than 15% of the people that visited the health care web site have been able to enroll over the past 2+ months. :)

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My in-laws are visiting from California. They are staunch republicans, avid Rush and FOX fans, and of course, hate all things Obama. Both retired, well-off, and leave very comfortably. I believe they are insured both through Medicare and through a private insurance via his retirement.

He is fully expecting that his insurance was canceled. I asked why he thought so... and he hemmed and hawed and said, well, his insurance was likely to be cancelled since he doesn't need maternity care and stuff.

He didn't have anything that would have alerted him to a change in his policy or coverage (in fairness, they have been here since just before Christmas, and returning home today, so he could have letters in his mailbox with the cancellation). But he is so sure he is being cancelled just based off what he hears from Rush and Fox...

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Kentucky's website never had the issues that the federal website had. It's been pretty much rock solid since the launch.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

far short of their own goals... and likely only the sick have signed up so far...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ures-still-far-short-administration-own-goal/

While the Obama administration is congratulating itself for signing up 2.1 million people in private plans on state and federal health care exchanges, some analysts say it's a little early to uncork the champagne.

Robert Laszewski of Health Policy and Strategy Associates says, "ObamaCare has proven that it can enroll the sick people. To only have 2 million people enrolled out of 20 million uninsured, plus all the canceled policies, indicates you only got a very small group of people enrolled."

That's not even enough, he and others argue, to make up for the policies that were canceled because they didn't meet the requirements of ObamaCare.

Even the 2.1 million signed up through the end of December 2013 is far short of the administration's own goal of more than 3.3 million by the end of December – a number projected last September by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services or CMS.

And that figure was just a stepping stone to the eventual goal of 7 million by the end of March.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius told NBC in an interview last September, "Well, I think success looks like at least 7 million people having signed up by the end of March 2014."

But now that the administration appears to be falling short, other officials are playing down the 7 million target, sometimes even using exactly the same words.

Gene Sperling, director of Obama's National Economic Council, argued on “Meet the Press” Sunday that "first of all, there is no magic number. The key is to enroll as many people, have an exchange that`s working...."

White House spokesman Jay Carney said Monday that "it's important to understand that it is not - that there's not some magic number - 6,999,999, and the system collapses - one more than that, and it functions perfectly."

Carney said what is more important than total numbers is who is signing up.

"In terms of how effective the marketplaces function, the makeup, the mix of the population that enrolls is more important that the total number," he said.

On that, there appears to be no disagreement. But the mix factor is precisely what worries many analysts because with all the problems on the ObamaCare website,the most desperate and determined were the most likely to sign up.

"It doesn't take Einstein to figure out that the first people who will enroll are the sick people," says Laszewski.

Data from the state exchanges, such as Kentucky, point in the same direction.

James Capretta of the Ethics and Public Policy Center says ObamaCare does help the poorest and sickest with subsidies.

"If they're less healthy, it's a good deal, he says. "So those are the people that have signed up in Kentucky so far. They haven't really attracted the percentage they need in terms of 20 to 30 year olds."

Data from other states reflects the same trend.

Administration officials say not to worry-- that the young often wait until the end.

But if they don't sign up, it could be the end, because the plan isn't financially sustainable without them.

17. mc mark

Yes, the Foxnews crowd and Obama haters have been very effective in duping the ignorant into not signing up for healthcare. Congratulations, I guess.

None-the-less, those states that have set up exchanges and opened up Medicaid have already reached about 40% of their goals.

witness

[​IMG]

The Price of GOP Obamacare Sabotage In One Chart

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow, that chart really shows the true Omer Asiks of the healthcare debate. Just have to wait for the pout to end for those unfortunate states. Interesting to wonder how many uninsured will die -- or get million dollar emergency room treatments to stay alive -- before the pouting ends.

THIGH CONTUSION.

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

' likely ' only the sick have signed up...

the most desperate and determined were the most likely to sign up.

data points in that direction and reflects the same trend...

conditional conjecture.

this is only a piece of the puzzle.

what's the data?

20. jocar

jocar Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XQtxcKT-u_Y?list=UUEHsSWvrGVSIA63OV3J6vhA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>