1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

[Huffington Post] James Harden's Glaring Defensive Problem Is Way Worse Than You Thought

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, Jan 21, 2016.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thank GOD someone is calling his lazy ass out on defense.

I think the only way he commits is when he is embarrassed.

I also wonder if the Adidas contract has some incentives in there for scoring, or for percentages because he NEVER takes the long last second shots anymore to end quarters he always passes off those low percentage shots to teamates.

DD

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Or when Thibs gets a hold of him. Can only hope he's brought in to coach.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Media can call him out all they want for his atrocious D but as long as Morey, JB etc. fall victim to his "hey I'm putting up 28/6/6 and I can do whatever the F I want on the defensive end" it's of no use.

Morey has to sit him down and have a talk instead of constantly putting him on a pedestal

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

starting to warm to the Thibs idea. ANYTHING has to be an improvement on this train wreck.

5. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I'm not sure if I agree with this statement by the writer: "Of course, all of the onus does not fall on Harden: Dwight Howard has predictably been a colossal disappointment . . . ." It contains a link to an earlier article he wrote which is a typical hate on Dwight piece.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think this is gonna happen. James got McHale fired, he can get Morey fired as well. Morey is not Phil Jackson: Phil can tell Melo to go take a hike, "I'll draft whoever the hell I want to draft," and get away with it. why? because he is Phil Jackson. Sadly, Morey is no Phil Jackson in this situation.

7. DaDakota

As good as Morey is at trades, and contracts - is he that kind of leader? I don't know him well enough to say....but I have called for that kind of leadership from him..it is what we need.

DD

8. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Morey is too busy fighing bloggers from Warriorsworld

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I have never had that much of an issue with Harden dogging it on defense. This is purely on Morey and the coaching staff. You put the entire frigging offensive load on one guy, he's gonna need his energy to play 40 minutes a game and be the overwhelming ball handler, playmaker, and scorer.

Maybe if the Wizard of Stats spent more time getting balanced players as opposed to one skill D-Leaguers, Harden wouldn't have to spend so much energy on offense and can actually get in the way on defense.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Harden is tied for the league lead with Lebron and CP3 in shots taken per game with 4 or less seconds on the clock.

Its slightly down from last year. slightly

11. DaDakota

He could still play defense and let others initiate the offense giving him time to rest this is as much about Harden as it is about everything else.

DD

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.

13. hotballa

in theory, yes. but who the hell you gonna trust to initiate the offense? Bev? Lawson got the talent, but the coaching staff hasnt tried hard enough or they dont trust him. I cant put that on Harden so much. If the coaches arent pushing him to defer to Lawson as the initiator, then he gonna do what Harden do.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's a site essentially run by career-age liberal women. Being rather on the left and having nothing against women :) , I go to the site a lot, but I have to weed out the articles that tumble off the cliff to The Left. And too many "[insert pointless actress / media-friendly female here] dazzles in such-and-so dress!"

15. ibm

ibm Member

false.

many many players have played heavier minutes than harden has this yr. and were still effective on both sides of the ball.

16. OpenLayup-Why3?

I feel ya. Lithuania's national broadcaster's sports caster is a woman. She's been casting sports news for many many years and it's always 80% women sports 20 % men... Spurs wins NBA? OK, I'll mention it at the end, but now, I'll let you know how some woman did in table tennis regional quarterfinal. After that teen woman voleyball news.

17. hotballa

Harden is currently averaging 37.5 minutes a game. Thats second overall in the league. I dont care what kind of qualifier you slap on that, second overall is second overall.

18. ibm

ibm Member

so that excuses him not exerting energy on the defensive end? harden really deserves fans just like you. lol.

what about those players who avg'd well above 40 minutes and still played d?

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Those vine gifs are unfair. If you took your worst job moments, yeah, it'd look pretty bad. - Morey

I hate that youtube clip. If you took the 12 worst minutes of your life last year Mike, I'm not sure what it would look like. Probably pretty bad. It'd be a bad 12 minutes. The idea of creating...any NBA player, if you create 12 minutes of highlights, they'll look amazing. Find your worst 12 minutes, they'll look bad. I thought that was pretty unfair. Your top players need to be 2-way players. Dwight and James both need to do that for us to win the title. They know the task in front of them. It'll come down to whether we're doing it or not doing it. - Daryl Morey 2014

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Jimmy Butler leads the league averaging 38.1 MPG. He guards the opposition best wing player on a nightly basis. He has a huge workload offensively.

It is not far fetched to ask harden to put some effort defensively and at least be slightly below average to average. He is never going to be a Butler defensively but to be a total no show on defense, no focus, no hustle, fall asleep, having guys torch you a nightly basis is unacceptable and inexcusable